It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2008, 12:38 PM   #1
(female)

minxyvic79 HB User
please help! denied incapacity benefit, and cant cope :(

hi please someone help as i dont know what to do, and though you might be able to help if you know more about this than me.
i got advice from 3 people in the jobcentre and my personal helper from the jobcentre saying i should go onto 2 days a week and make up the difference in my money with incapacity benefit, as i have fibro and hypermoblie joints.

they assured me i would be eligible, so went ahead with reducing my hours at work (it was either that or get fired as i had been absent for 70% of the time !)
now after weeks of stress and worry and much faffing with paperwork ive been told i am not eligible for incapacity as i was not absent from work in 'one continuous period of absence' but sporadically (apparently it doesnt seem to matter that i have been off more than i was in work)!. it doesnt seem to matter to them that im going to lose my home and not be able to eat, and by the time i found this info out from them they had shut for the weekend and i couldnt even get in touch to ask what i could do.
i am panic stricken, i dont know what to do and dont know how im going to get through this until monday, as this is just the last straw frankly, having already been denied dla too 3 times.
please, anyone who knows if this can be appealed (or if i am actually entitled to it, as i had been told in the past ) please let me know it would be of great help , and might keep me sane until i can contact them on monday
thank you very much xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2008, 07:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
Re: please help! denied incapacity benefit, and cant cope :(

I don't know what the system is like in the UK, but here in the US, you can expect to be denied twice, then go for a hearing. Most people who are approved for disability get it at the hearing stage.

I hope it works out for you. Maybe someone else from the UK will see this and shed more light for you, but whatever you do, just don't give up. Keep pressing to know what the next step would be to appeal. Don't take no for an answer. The system is designed to weed out the scammers, which is good except that it makes it so hard for those of us who really qualify.

Hang in there!
Emily

Old 11-23-2008, 08:35 AM   #3
(female)

debi1957 HB User

Hi

I wish I could help,but not sure about the UK. Things are just as bad here in the USA with our Social Security disability. I know one thing, monday will be here soon, so call first thing. Sounds like just a mix up. If things do not go right get a lawyer, here they do not charge anything unless you get awarded money for your disability.

UK or US, we are all in the same boat, can't work because of disability, its very hard to keep things going when you have no job. Im sorry, I wish I could be more help, please let us know what happend, best of luck to you.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:39 AM   #4
(female)

angeles0209 HB User

Hello,

I was informed by my caseworker that I could not work a single day while applying for state disability. This was back in Jan 2008. Of course I was denied in April 2008 decided not to appeal and tried to return to my normal work duties in May 2008 only to relapse in Aug 2008 and again reapplied for permanent state disability. Now I have no job because I only worked about 3mos the year of 2008 and my job informed me while I was off that my position at work had to be filled and when and if I was to return I would have to meet the qualifications for another position if they had anything available. In other words ****you no longer have a job. Currently I am losing my home no job and trying to get on permanent state disability. Now that is my story!! Hope the best for you ***Don't give up***

Angeles

Old 12-05-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

celticfan HB User

Hi Angeles. i see you are in Chula Vista. thats where my disability was started out of. make sure you get names of everyone you talk to in that office. they have so many people in and out of there, its a mess. i did get disability, but the ball was dropped a couple of times and i caught it. good luck

Closed Thread