It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008, 05:56 AM   #1
(female)

angeles0209 HB User
Question How Disabled do you have to be????

Hola!!!!

I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in Sep 2002. My life has never been the same. Symptoms have never gone away. I have gradually gone down hill. Yes I am able to walk and move around **thank god** But a caseworker told me. OH! YOU ARE NOT AS BAD AS OTHER MS SUFFERERS!!! How Disabled do they want you to be? I reapplied to permanant state disability I was denied back in April 2008. I have worked since I was 15 years old now I am 46. I am trying to survive this disease that is disabiling me slowly. I would love to continue working but this year has been the worst for me. Lost my job due to the illness. I am waiting for eviction from the house I bought back in 2005 and fighting a battle against MS. Question is how disabled do I have to be????? Any advise on how to get what I have worked for so many years back.

Angeles

Old 12-05-2008, 06:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User
Re: How Disabled do you have to be????

Have you ever had a doctor to declare that you are unable to work? Usually that's what they're looking for a doctor or doctor's declaring you're unable to work due to your condition. It takes that and alot of documentation proving that you're no longer able to work to get disability. Also you have to keep trying even after you get denied and usually it helps to get a disability lawyer. They are well versed in what it takes to get disability and they don't receive nothing unless they win your case.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2008, 07:53 PM   #3
(female)

angeles0209 HB User

Thanks for your response. Yes, both of my doctor's have helped me out alot. Especially my primary care doc. He has agreed that it would be better for me not to work. My neurologist want's me to remain active but supports my decision as well. I am currently waiting for a response from the state. If denied I will have to seek legal advise.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:53 PM   #4
(female)

chicubs HB User

I may sound stupid, but State Disability is not Social Security Disability is it?

I was recently approved for Social Security Disability and I don't think that I could have been approved if I did not have the backing of my doctor.
As a matter of fact it was my doctor that suggested that I apply for Social Security Disability.
I have Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy and because of the RSD I was not able to return to work. I was diagnosed with RSD after I had bunion surgery!! The surgery was in 2005.

The RSD has now spread to both feet. In the right leg up to my knee and in my left leg only to me ankle. It also recently spread to both wrists. My doctor told me that the RSD was getting even worse and in her opinion I would not be ever be any better than I am now, which is not good.

I sympathize with you. I can't imagine having MS and worrying about loosing your job. The stress from all that you are dealing with must also be making your MS even worse. I have a friend that has MS and has been trying to keep working. I don't think he will be able to last too much longer though. I cannot imagine why you would be denied even once.

Do you think getting lawyer might help you? I was one of the very lucky ones in that I did not need to have any kind of hearing or appeals or anything like that. Perhaps just talking to a lawyer and getting their perspective on what has happened to you might be a good idea.

Again though I don't know if state disability is the same as social security disability. So maybe I have not been much help to you.

You do have my prayers that things will turn around for you so that you can save your house.
Take Care,
Chris

Old 12-06-2008, 09:44 AM   #5
(female)

angeles0209 HB User

Hi

I am currently receiving SDI -state disability insurance. But, i am trying to apply for Disability insurance benefits. It's confusing. If approved then I would be able to receive Social security benefits. SDI is only temporary funds will eventually run out and will be left with no money. It's great that you were able to obtain social security ASAP. I am 46years old and social security feels I can continue working that my disability is not that severe. In 2008 I was only able to work for about 3months. Most of the year I was off work due to Multiple MS attacks. When you are temporarily paralized due to MS and hospitalized for days it takes a toll on your body and the healing process is slow. When i leave the hospital it's in a wheelchair to a walker to a cain. No employer is going to give you that much time off. I am more of a liability to an employer than a asset to the company.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User

When applying for disability, they don't consider anything 3 months or under as working for a full year. When I applied for disability, I hadn't held a job for 8 months except. I did work about a 1 1/5 month at one job. They told me you had to work at a job for over 3 months in order for them to consider as working.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:25 PM   #7
(female)

angeles0209 HB User

Thanks for all the information. I have held the same job since 2000. But, this year has been the worst healthwise. I was off due to my illness from 12/07 thru 5/2008 returned til 8/2008 and resigned in October-just not able to get well this year. Not that I did not want to continue working, especially with this economy. Physically and mentally just not able to return to work. Believe me I tried my best to get better and especially keep my job that I've had since 2000.

Closed Thread