It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2008, 09:40 PM   #1
(female)

MissAmethyst2U HB User
Question Question about being denied SSD?

Ok so I currently receive SSI. I originally got SSI when I was 18 (I am almost 26 now) due to severe Anxiety/Agoraphobia issues (including not leaving the house for over a yr at one point) Well about three yrs ago I finally was doing really well and decided to try working. I worked up until Aug of this yr. At that time I had started with heart problems in May after surgery for a kidney stone this led to severe anxiety problems again and the heart acting up so bad that I had to leave my job. I got my SSI back right away that wasn't a problem but the lady told me that I qualified at that point for SSD so I applied for that. Well, I just got the denial letter and it stating that they determined that my "condition was not disabling on any date through 06/30/08, when you were last insured for disability benefits" I am very confused by this what does through that date have to do with it? Its after then that is the problem. They also said that I can work just not with the general public so where would that be? I am going to appeal this but am confused by all this. When I applied we weren't sure about the whole heart thing and whether that was life threatening or not and I have since found out that its not but its just very annoying and of course triggers the anxiety and not leaving the house etc...How can I get SSI for the same thing that they denied the SSD for? Can anyone help me out here?

Oh, I am in VA if that makes a difference...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2008, 10:50 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User
Re: Question about being denied SSD?

SSDI benefits gradually disappear over a 5 year period after stopping work. One earns credits as they work, and it's a 60 month rolling period. You have to prove that your disabling condition started prior to the date the SSDI credits disappeared. After that date, you have no SSDI. However, it sounds like your disability problems have been going on for many years. So if you have doctor records proving you had this problem prior to the date your SSDI credits rolled off (6/30/08), you can still win SSDI. Go ahead and appeal the denial. My suggestion is to contact a lawyer who specializes in social security disability cases, and they'll fill out the form for you if you want. They'll know how to help you get benefits, as long as you have good medical records prior to that June date.

My son had the same problem - he was receiving SSI, and could have gotten DAC on his fathers SSDI benefits, but was denied for DAC. It too, was a date problem. Luckily we had good medical documentation. We had to jump through hoops and use a lawyer, but he finally got his DAC benefits.

Good luck to you!

Old 12-11-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
(female)

MissAmethyst2U HB User

TY for the reply I went to file my appeal today and found out some stuff. One, my old file was NOT pulled and sent with the application for the SSD so whoever made the decision didn't even know I had a history with them or that I was even currently receiving SSI. (Ummm how do they not k now that I dont understnad as isnt it all in the computer system) but anyway she had my file pulled and it will be sent with the appeal. Also, in ref to the date you were right about that and they also had my work history listed wrong so it was showing I was still at my old job through aug instead of them pulling my pay stubs from my other job and if it works out like she thinks it will that would insure me through 2010. So hopefully this will take care of everything and I will get it approved this time...

Old 12-11-2008, 11:59 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

That's great! Hope this comes to a happy, quick finish! Social Security would much rather someone be getting benefits from SSDI than from SSI, so let's hope they do the logical thing in your case. Good for you for catching the error on your job reporting. It's so important to verify everything yourself. With all your old records added to the appeal, surely that will speed things up.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:33 AM   #5
(female)

MissAmethyst2U HB User

roses4lace, thanks for the reply but I do have to ask why did you say they would much rather someone be getting SSDI than SSI? I have never heard of that so I am curious...

Old 12-15-2008, 12:41 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

It comes out of two different pots of money. An easy way to think of it is this - SSDI (Social Security DISABILITY INSURANCE) is basically an insurance policy that is paid for out of one's salary (payroll taxes) while working. SSI (SUPPLEMENTAL Security INCOME) is a give-away program (welfare) that comes out of federal tax revenues.

My son first received SSI. Then they "discovered" his dad was on SSDI and insisted he file against his dad's SSDI (which should have done to begin with.) They told me that if he could qualify on his dad's SSDI and they were giving him SSI it would be considered fraud and they would take all the money back. Sure got me in a panic. I don't really know exactly WHY they prefer he draw from SSDI, but they sure do! Why one pot of money is "better" than the other, I don't know, since both of them come from taxes. Maybe it's because the SSDI is earmarked for a particular purpose, and the SSI takes away from other federal projects. Maybe someone else can clarify.

For the individual, as long as you draw a decent benefit, SSDI is much, much better, because it has fewer rules and restrictions. Downside is having to pay for Medicare and having a higher co-pay on doctor bills.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:48 AM   #7
(female)

MissAmethyst2U HB User

Ohh ok, that makes sense. I didn't understand how I had worked long enough to qualify when I had only been working a lil over two yrs before having to give up my job. I think they said cause it was a high paying job and something to do with it based on what your wages were. Anyway, I know that it would be about $400 more a month with SSD than SSI. I am concerned about the medicare though. I am not familar with that at all. I do received Medicaid now and actually I have Anthem through that because of the medical problems I have. I was told Medicare doesn't kick in til like 24 months after you get SSD. Does that mean I will loose my medicaid(Anthem) during that time? There is no way I can go two yrs without insurance. Lordy my meds are a good $600 a month and doctor visits and like I have had two heart surgeries this yr alone!

Old 12-15-2008, 08:56 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

Medicare eligibility starts 2 years and 5 months after your "onset date", so you want that date to be set as far in the past as possible. I received my award letter in late 2007, but my onset date was in 2003, so they immediately started me on Medicare. Even offered to cover my past medical expenses if I would pay the Part B premium for each month in the past. But I already had insurance, so only took the Medicare going forward.

Closed Thread