It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2008, 06:06 AM   #1
(male)

luke77 HB User
Education assistance

Hello everyone,

I have been put on SS Disability due to an extended illness that I will hopefully be recovering from in the next year or so. So I hope to return to work once I am able. My question is whether there are any education aid/tuition support programs for people on social security, or anything of that nature. I see on the SS website that there is a "Return to Work" program where they will pay for things like vocational rehabilitation, career counseling, etc. and it seems like there might be an allowance for continued education, but I have not found anything. Does anyone know of anything like this?

Also, on a different note, someone told me that people on social security disability qualify for food stamps, even if they do not meet the maximum asset requirements, because people receiving federal funding are exempt. Someone else told me no, you have to be on SSI and not SSDI. I'm having trouble getting in touch with anyone at the social services office. Does anyone know which of these is correct?

Thanks very much,
Luke

Old 12-10-2008, 06:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User
Re: Education assistance

Yes, when you qualify for SSI, you're also eligible to receive medicaid and food stamps. The only way you would receive that on SSDI, is if the amount of disablility you receive is very low. As far as educational assistance through the vocational rehab program, they help you apply for Pell grants to assit with educational expenses. Vocational Rehab don't pay for any educational assistance. They do teach some courses like computer classes and also help you get your GED if you don't have one.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2008, 07:19 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

Answers to some of your questions depend on whether you are drawing SSI, or SSDI. They are different programs with different rules. Check with Vocational Rehab, in some states they do pay for education, as long as you need the classes to make yourself better qualified for a job, or train for a new job if your disability keeps you from doing your past work. Also check out the "Ticket to Work" program. Their programs can make transitioning back to work much easier, and if you relapse, make it easy to get back on benefits. Good luck!

Old 12-10-2008, 10:50 PM   #4
(female)

happygirl440 HB User

check with your states unemployment office.
They paid for my hubbys degree since he was unemployed.
best of luck
Cindy

Closed Thread