It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2008, 05:29 AM   #1
(female)

judybug45 HB User
Can't afford prescriptions

My son has been diagnosed Bi-polar, receives 700.00 monthly but can't afford the insurance in order to get medication . So, he suffers in silence. Any suggestions?

Old 12-15-2008, 05:43 AM   #2
(female)

KDD 26 HB User
Re: Can't afford prescriptions

First of all have him look into the discount programs offered by the major retailers with pharmacies. Many of them are offering some kind of drug discount program.

There is also a prescription discount card you can get from the Caremark. The discounts are not that great, but they are still something. It is not insurance and just gives a discount on the medication.

Hope this helps
KDD

Last edited by moderator2; 12-15-2008 at 05:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2008, 07:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

HI Judybug,
did you go and apply for medicaid in your state?
I did and they gave it to me.
my RX's are for free and if it's a brand name drug, I have to pay 1-3$.
that's it.
Especially being he is on disability. when a person is on disability they get a lot more help than others would.
PLUS,
you can find out what pharmaceutical company makes the drug that your son needs to take and you can go to their website for assistance. you can fill out an application to apply for their assistance and if approved, he can get it for free.
they do this for people who really need help.
which sounds like your son qualifies.
OR,
you can ask his psychiatrist if they know about help from the pharmaceutical company that produces the drug. that's how I found out that most of these companies offer free assistance to people who need to take the medicine to help their lives but have no insurance to pay for it.

oh, and another option is "Walmart" and I think "Target" is doing this too.... they are offering prescriptions for only $3 to help people who have no insurance to pay for their medicines and they're BRAND name drugs too.
I was so happy and elated to hear that people who more fortunate really do care about people who have no money and NEED their medication.

oh, and once a person is on disability for two years, they automatically get on medicare, which part A is hospitalization and part B is for doctors visits and another part for prescriptions. BUT... they charge a premium which is alot of money if you don't have it. they charge $90 here in NY about every 3 months or so for the prescription coverage. BUT I Just found out that because I"m on disability, I automatically get assistance to help pay for my RX's. I won't have to pay more than $3 for mine.
Medicare is doing this for me. IF I wasn't on medicaid, Medicare offers a person to fill out an application for assistance to help pay for their RX's.

so there are some options for your son.

I think there's help for everyone in the Country. Each State has different policies and different orginizations to look into.
First thing to do is contact your social services in the phone book. They will lead you from there.

Good luck with your son,

Sincerely,

LInda

Old 12-15-2008, 08:30 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

Hi - you need to look into "Partnershiip for Prescription Assistance" it works and people get either free or reduced cost. Most of the big drug companies participate.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:00 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

Also, look at the first thread on this board, it has some ideas for cheaper prescriptions.

Closed Thread