It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
(female)

rushkasmom HB User
direct deposit

After reading alot of these post, it sounds like a lot of folks signed up for direct deposit before they got their backpay or first check. How can I do this? No one has asked me if I want it, do I need to be proactive about this, or will the SS send me a form to fill out? Thanks!! Patti in SC

Last edited by rushkasmom; 12-15-2008 at 01:47 PM.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:44 PM   #2
(female)

chicubs HB User
Re: direct deposit

Patti ~ Have you already filled out your application? If so have you already had your interview with the social security office? I'm sorry that I don't remember where you are in this process.
I believe that when I filled out my application that there was a place on the application where you could check if you wanted to use direct deposit. I had to give them all of my bank accounts information. Such as if I wanted my check to be deposited in my checking account or my savings account. As well as the bank account numbers for whatever account I was putting my check into.
Also when I had my interview the guy at the social security office told me that they preferred direct deposit because it is safer and quicker for you to receive your checks once you are approved.
You could also go onto their website and see if they have any information there as to how you can have direct deposit. Or you could also call the social security office and ask them. If you have already applied perhaps when you call them they could have you sign up for direct deposit right then as you are talking to them.
Hope this helps.
Take Care,
Chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2008, 09:03 PM   #3
(female)

chicubs HB User

I'm sorry Patti I just read another post and in that one you said that you were already approved. First of Congratulations!!!! I was approved October 9th.
Well about your direct deposit, I think because you are already approved I would call the Social Security office and see if they can help you right over the phone. I don't know for sure about this but it just seems like it is possible for them to take down your information and get you signed up right over the phone. Good Luck and let me know how it turned out.
Chris

Old 12-16-2008, 02:44 PM   #4
(female)

rushkasmom HB User

Chris, thank you, I will try and call them. I was found "fully favorible" on the 10th of Dec, and I got the written approval in the mail yesterday. I was hoping that it would have something on there about direct deposit, but it didn't. If you can think of anything else I need to know, please pass it on! I have been waiting so long for this, and now when it's approved, I start another waiting game!

Old 12-16-2008, 05:34 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Michael8466 HB User

I to don't remember seeing a direct deposit box. I just got my letter as well.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:13 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

It would be a good idea to check with Social Security, and double check any bank account numbers they have. I don't even remember giving SS my bank account numbers, but apparently I did. My approval came 2 years after applying, and during that time, my bank was bought out. They changed my bank account number. The bank had told us we could continue using the old account number and old checks, until we ran out. They knew where to put the money. My direct deposit was at the bank, and even though it had my name and THEIR old account number, and they KNEW it was my money, accounting refused to transfer it to the current account, and were ready to send it back to SS, but I finally found a bank manager who got it through all the roadblocks. One never knows what might happen. Hope all goes well with your deposits, and congratulations!

Old 12-16-2008, 08:58 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

celticfan HB User

once i got my approval, i called to set up my appointment to set up direct deposit

Closed Thread