It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2008, 02:22 AM   #1
(female)

skdjsf HB User
To all who are waiting...

PLEASE DO NOT GIVE UP.
It took me 7 yrs and I just got my first monthly check this month and part of my back pay on Thursday.
I went through so many rough days. I can't even count the number of food bank lines I stood in (which I am so grateful for), and days when I barely had a can of beans to eat. I live in a HUD apartment that is terrible and had no means to the local Mental Health Clinic for my severe depression or to medical care, for which I am suppose to take thyroid meds everyday for the rest of my life, not to mention the great pain from many back problems.
I truly felt like no one (outside my family and loved ones) cared, nor would ever help. I was denied twice but in Oct. received a "fully favorable" decision.
There were many days I felt like giving up and doing something drastic. The whole thing really took a toll.
So please, hang-in there. I truly believe your chances are good if you are vigilant.
S

Old 12-19-2008, 09:55 AM   #2
(female)

debi1957 HB User
Re: To all who are waiting...

Congratulations, I know the feeling, I just got approved by the ALJ in October as well. It took me 6 years of hell. I have yet to recieve any money, or word. I called payment center several times, they said it could be another 30 to 60 days. I would think they would speed it up, since folks wait for so long to get a decision. I had 3 appeals at the ALJ level. Twice i had the same stupid judge, whom made the same stupid mistakes. my Attornney had to appeal and as you know each appeal takes another 15 month to get a new hearing.
Im glad I finally got a new judge he ruled fully in my favor. Now i wait for the money.Again, im glad you won.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2008, 01:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

gayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB User

Congrats! Glad you both finally got approved.

I'm waiting for a date with the ALJ. It will be my first hearing. If I am not approved, I will try again. You just gotta keep trying.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

celticfan HB User

congratulations. i see stories like yours, and can only admire you for hanging in there. i applied in Jan, was denied in Mar, appealed and got approved in May. i got 9 mo of backpay, and believe me, i earned every dime. we too had to stand in food lines, mooched off of family, and had to move in with the inlaws due to not having money.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:40 AM   #5
(female)

rushkasmom HB User

I agree, don't give up! It took 6 years for me, to be honest, my husband and I both had pretty much given up on ever seeing anything, then I got a letter for an ALJ hearing and was approved ~ finally!! Why do they make you wait so long, I am sorry, but there is no reason that it should take 2-3 months to start. I know, I've heard all the stories about backlogs, etc, but it doesn't make any sense to me. Most of us on this board are in the same fix and can understand the frustations. I can't even see my dr till it comes in and I give him the 600 dollars I owe him~then after I pay it, I have no idea if he will even take me back as his patient.
Thanks for letting me vent!! Patti in SC

Closed Thread