It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2009, 03:09 PM   #1
(male)

Galdrath HB User
Approved for disability but in need of medication

Okies. My wife was approved for disability last year and her 2 year waiting period started I believe in August 08. She is Bi-polar and we cannot afford this immense bill for her perscriptions.
here is a list of what she takes

Depakote ER 500mg tablets 4 tablets a day

Topamax Tablets 100mg 1 daily

Fluoxetine(Prozac) Caps 20mg 1 daily

Benztropine Tablets 2 mg 1 daily

Abilify Tablets 30mg 1 daily

Seroquel Tablets 200mg 2 daily

so my question is how can I get these now since we cannot get them anymore? She has been off them for 4 months and I've had to keep her bedridden since she has too many episodes to go out a lot.

any help would be great

by the way we live in Washington State

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
(female)

angeles0209 HB User
Re: Approved for disability but in need of medication

One idea would be asking her doctor that gives her the prescription for some samples. Until insurance kicks in. Also try the manufacturer -look them up on line. REMOVED. Just some ideas.

Angeles

Last edited by Mod08; 01-10-2009 at 07:13 PM. Reason: This is discussion is disallowed per posting rules.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2009, 01:32 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

Also, check out the sticky at the top of this thread. It has a number of good ideas for obtaining meds.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:23 AM   #4
(male)

pc2053 HB User

You did not mention about your financial status.. if you are low income .. then you should contact social services.. If you are above the limit.. there usually are other options that they can suggest to you.. for your state ...to help you during this waiting period. Also as already stated, check with her Dr. for suggestions as well.. they sometimes have samples... but don't count to much on that aspect...

Old 01-23-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
(female)

cocos421 HB User

You can can get the generic Prozac at Walmart for $4. I take it. I also take Topamax. I know it is expensive, but I have read that they are coming out with a generic possibly in March.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

Do a search for patient assistant programs for her meds. Many expensive meds are given free from the drug company that makes them. You have to meet certain income guide lines and fill out a form. I'm sure some of her meds can ge gotten free if you fill out the forms and have her doc send in the scripts when they ask for them. They send you a 3 month supply at a time.Depakote,Abilify ,Seroquel and prozac can be gotten free.Do A search and you will easily find the phone numbers to call for the applications.

Last edited by gardenandcats; 01-23-2009 at 08:50 PM.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:19 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenn4508 HB UserJenn4508 HB User

Just a thought... In some states if you go on disability for mental and I mean absolutely nothing by it because I myself am bi-polar and am awaiting my day with the AJL for disability, but if in my state you do get disability for a mental status, you do have to wait the two years for Medicare however, you can immediately get Medicaid due to the mental disability... Sorry for not making sense but I did the best I could... You may want to look into this. Jenn

Closed Thread