It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
(female)

mewcamaro HB User
Insurance Doctor Exam

Hi Everyone - I have had 3 surgeries including an ALIF with L4 L5 being removed and fusion. I am in more pain now than before surgery. My injury was in Jan 2004 and is WC. I am getting epidural injections now which don't help at all, I take lots of meds which make me tired and drowsy.

My insurance company has scheduled an MIE exam with my surgeon who is a WC doctor. I am still out of work. Has anyone ever had an insurance company exam? What can I expect? And is WC still going to pay for my meds?

Any information you can give me is appreciated....Marie

Old 01-16-2009, 02:17 AM   #2
(male)

jaydar HB User
Re: Insurance Doctor Exan

Most likely the insurance dr will report that you are perfectly normal and able to do anything.It is for this reason you should have ann attorney.
Tip.......Do not go with the attorney with the largest or most ads in the yellow pages.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2009, 05:29 AM   #3
(female)

mewcamaro HB User

Hi Jaydar - Yes I have a WC lawyer, I've had him from the start. He is a very good lawyer. When the insurance company was dragging there feet on approving tests like MRI's, Discogram and others he had them put it through. I am 53 and my lawyer said I will never work again. His sister is my SS lawyer and I have been denied once, but she is appealing that. This MIE exam is for my WC case, I think the insurance company wants to settle. I just had an epidural injection yesterday and I am still in alot of pain. I suffer everyday with pain in the lower back and down my leg, I am not able to sit for more than 10-15 minutes and then I can't take the pain anymore. Standing is no better either. So I was just wondering what they are looking for because I am the same, nothing has changed at all, in face in worse pain then before surgery!

Marie

Old 01-16-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
(male)

jaydar HB User

In that case,it is probably an exam to determine the percentage of disability.It will be used to negotiate a settlement.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:19 AM   #5
(male)

jaydar HB User

If they want to settle......consider ongoing medical,loss of future earnings,you may need SS soon and you'll be locked into a fixed income that will be much less than if you had worked untill 65.Also you may need to take early disability retirement,if you have retirement.zif so most likely you'll be stuck collecting 1/4 of what you would have recieved had you workeked until natural retirement age.
They may offer you $100 grand now.....but that won't even come close to what you'll need in the future.
What if you live into your 80s,90s or 100s?

Old 01-24-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
(female)

mewcamaro HB User
Re: Insurance Doctor Exam

Jaydar thats what I had expected the exam to be, I even thought maybe someone from the insurance co would be there also to determine the percentage of disability. Boy was I wrong....I told my surgeron about the fact that the epidurals did not work and I am still in pain. He went and looked at my last MRI told me it looked OK and then told me he wants me to get a myelogram...so I am still in the fog why they requested an MIE exam.

So I will wait till WC approves it and have it done...not looking forward to it..but it has to be done.

I am concerned about my on going care after the settlement, like my meds, I would not be able to pay for them myself since they are very expensive, I do have a lawyer so I guess he will work out all that for me.

Closed Thread