It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2009, 08:29 AM   #1
(female)

rose0222 HB User
OCD, depression, and social security

Hi im new to these boards so bare with me. Heres my quick back story.

I have suffered from anxiety and depression my whole life. Starting when I was ten would get panic attacks for no reason. I had to be put on anxiety meds to help get rid of them. eventually I just learned how to work my way through them. High school was normal teen angst, still on meds, saw a shrink through my school system. Blah blah blah more of the same. Early twentys was married had a daughter. still on meds see shrink more, get divorced. Mid to late twentys diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, blah blah blah. I have always had a job back to when I was fourteen. Only time of my life I didnt have a job was a year after I had my daughter and whet to college full time. Good job history always stayed at jobs for long periods of time and did a great job at them. My last real job started in 2001 I was recruited for a store manager job at a major retail store and was there for five years. I got married again and we had a son. During my pregnancy I pretty much had a major meltdown and couldnt work the last three months of my pregnancy. Finally after my maternity leave was over I was able to work about nine months before I had another breakdown. So I quit my job to be at home. We couldnt afford to live in our house ended up giving it up to the bank and moving in with my parents. Eventually my parents bought a big house for us all to live in, thank god for that or I dont know what would have happened to us. I have tried four differant jobs since quiting just trying to make some cash for my family. After being there for weeks to a few months I always end up having another breakdown, quiting and then getting my brain working again and going through the cycle again. I just had a evaluation through the clinic I attend and was diagnosed with major OCD, anxiety, depression and major agoraphobia.. No kidding, you think, though the agoraphobia is a new one to me!!! My shrink tells me I just need to forget about trying to work because it causes to much stess. So thats it im sure im forgeting something.
Ive been told by family I should apply for SSdisablilty but im afraid of being denied and being to ocd, stressed about it causing another episode.
Do they accept these types of behaviors. IM so confused. Help!!!
Meg

Last edited by rose0222; 01-12-2009 at 08:31 AM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: OCD, depression, and social security

Yes they do allow you disability with mental health diagnosis however it would be wise of you to hire a disabilities lawyer as the laws are tricky and you need someone well versed in navigating the system. good luck.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:44 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User
Re: OCD, depression, and social security

Yes, anything that prevents you from working can be a reason for applying and being approved. Even though I do have some physical problems, they never came up in my hearing - the whole focus was on my mental state, and how I couldn't work with the breakdowns and problems staying focused that were going on. Most people do get denied the first time, just steel yourself for it, be expecting it, and right now, make a committment to yourself to appeal all denials. (And then cross your fingers that you are one of the lucky ones who gets approved the first try!)

The entire process is very stressful, especially for someone already overloaded by stress and having meltdowns. I would suggest that after the first denial, find a lawyer who specializes in social security cases. A good lawyer will have someone in their office to basically hold your hand, and guide you on getting all the correct records (at least mine did). They took over the process, because it was obvious to everyone that I was totally unable to handle it myself.

Next time you talk with your shrink let him/her know that social security will need a statement from them, basically stating that as of xx-xx-xxxx the doctor considered you unable to work.

Good luck, and the sooner you file, the quicker you will see the money!

Reply Reply