It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
(male)

Emmettk HB User
Approved after only 5 years

I applied for SSDI about 5 years ago because I became unable to work due to a back injury. I am unable to sit or stand for any length of time with out being in intense pain. I am on some heavy duty pain meds so I can be somewhat pain free.
I was denied on every appeal from the first one down to the last one after th ALJ Hearing. I had to reapply for my disability, and then I finally got approved on that first try. I did loose quite a bit of Back Pay because of it, but I will get 1 year of back pay (which I am supose to get in Feb. along with my first monthly check). I am so thrilled I can't even begin to tell you how happy I am to finally get this approved.
Don't give up, if it seems like you are fighting a loosing battle, keep fighting and you will get approved.

Good Luck to All,
God Bless,
Emmett

Old 01-15-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
(female)

puppybreath HB User
Re: Approved after only 5 years

Congratulations on your approval!! It's about time!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Approved after only 5 years

Congratulations!!! 5 years is a very long wait, thanks for sharing all this, i;m happy for you!

BeHappy2

Old 01-23-2009, 07:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

gayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB User

Congrats Emmett!!

The battle was long, but you won! I noticed you live in Texas - I live in Texas too. May I ask a question?

How long was the wait for the first date with the ALJ? My attorney said it would probably be 8 - 12 months, but I am more likely to believe someone who has actually had to wait the wait.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Congratulations! I'm so glad your long battle is over! What a weight off your shoulders that you'll finally have some income!

Take care,
Emily

Old 01-25-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
(female)

debi1957 HB User

Emmett, Congratulations, feels great doesnt it. I just got approved in October after 6 years of waiting. You might want to check to see how far back the judge went on your approval. Did he just find you fully favorable back only a year? A lot of people manage to get this changed, just a thought, get all you can. Good luck.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:13 AM   #7
(male)

Emmettk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayle4102 View Post
Congrats Emmett!!

The battle was long, but you won! I noticed you live in Texas - I live in Texas too. May I ask a question?

How long was the wait for the first date with the ALJ? My attorney said it would probably be 8 - 12 months, but I am more likely to believe someone who has actually had to wait the wait.
The wait time to see the ALJ was about 6 to 8 months. But I am sure it depends on where you live. I am in the Austin area.
I hope this helps and good luck. If I can help with anything else, Please ask.

Quote:
Emmett, Congratulations, feels great doesnt it. I just got approved in October after 6 years of waiting. You might want to check to see how far back the judge went on your approval. Did he just find you fully favorable back only a year? A lot of people manage to get this changed, just a thought, get all you can. Good luck.
They are only going back to Aug. 2007 because I had to reapply. It frustrates me that I got jacked out of so much back pay ($50K or so), but I am also glad it is over. I am just waiting for the back pay now. The monthly checks will start in Feb.

Thank you everyone for all the kind words, for those that are still fighting the fight. You will win, Don't Ever Give UP.

Emmett

Old 01-26-2009, 09:53 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

Congrats Emmet! Now you can focus on trying to take care of your back and yourself!
Mim Gregg

Old 01-29-2009, 12:19 AM   #9
(female)

LadyVols HB UserLadyVols HB UserLadyVols HB UserLadyVols HB UserLadyVols HB UserLadyVols HB User

When SS does this, where you apply and appeal and then reapply, does it make it harder to meet the work requirement?

For example, at my age, their website says you have to have worked 7.5 years of the last ten. I've worked 9. If I, or someone in similar circumstances, get turned down in three years and then reapply, is the work requirement now not met? I took off one year to try and heal my back and then worked part-time but I had to quit in Dec because the pain is too bad.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:51 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

gayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmettk View Post
The wait time to see the ALJ was about 6 to 8 months. But I am sure it depends on where you live. I am in the Austin area.
I hope this helps and good luck. If I can help with anything else, Please ask.

Emmett
Thank you Emmett. There is no hearing office where I live - my attorney said there is a video conference room set up in a downtown office building, and that is where the hearing will be held.

I have been waiting for my ALJ date for a little over six months, so I am starting to get hopeful, every time the mail arrives.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:49 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

That is GREAT news! Congratulations! Good things come to those who wait!

I have to also say that your case represents everything that is wrong with SS. If I understand things correctly, you previously applied, and appealed and appealed, all the way to the ADJ hearing and beyond, only to keep getting denied. Then, you re-apply, or essentially start over, and get accepted on the first try.

What a scam!

That makes absolutely no sense....You had appealed all the way to judges where you get to really lay your case out, which is much different from the standard file review, and get denied. Everyone had supposedly examined your case from every angle...That's why they have all the appeals. But, when you re-apply, you get accepted at stage 1, which is very rare.

I have been involved with disability for a very long time and your case is just another one demonstrating how there is very little rhyme or reason why cases are approved (or not). It's almost like it's simple probability. I've seen where very severe cases were denied while seemingly less severe cases were approved. I could go on and on, but I won't. The whole SS system needs an overhaul, IMO.

I've very glad for you, however. You deserve it! I'm very glad that you took the time to share your case. Others should not get frustrated and keep trying.

Regards,

Ex

Old 02-01-2009, 09:32 AM   #12
(male)

Emmettk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
I have to also say that your case represents everything that is wrong with SS. If I understand things correctly, you previously applied, and appealed and appealed, all the way to the ADJ hearing and beyond, only to keep getting denied. Then, you re-apply, or essentially start over, and get accepted on the first try.
Executor, That is exactly what happened. I could not understand how I got denied at the ALJ. My lawyer even said, he feels real good about the hearing. I was able to back up all the evedance. Of course he also said this judge is very hard and does not approve very many at all.
It is very obvious I am unable to work. Not to mention the intense pain from the nerve damage, and I have a hard time walking. But the Meds I am on. (Fentenall 100 mcg/hr every 48 hrs., Morphine 3 times daily, Tezanidine 2 a day.) Who could possably work and think clearly while on these meds? Most employers don't like you at work when you are on Vicoden (liability reasons). There is not an employer out there that would even think about hireing me...
And the think that really gets me is the fact I wound up loosing a lot of Back Pay. And maybe thats why they denied it in the end, was because of the amount of Back Pay they would have to pay. I don't know....
I will not try and think of that much, and just be Happy that I got approved now and will get at least a little back pay.
Never Give UP,
Emmett

Old 02-03-2009, 07:38 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

I could not agree more with everything you said. Oh, I believe it happened to you....I just can't believe that the system would treat people like that. Your case represents everything that is wrong with SS.

Yes, by the meds alone, you should be disabled. You're right...Not a single person would hire you. Thank God that whoever read your file on the re-apply saw that you've been through enough and took care of the situation for you. Each case reviewer has the ability to approve so many, and that's it....So, this person realized you needed help, which is good. Shame on that judge for not approving you. It's one thing to be "tough"....It's another to be "stupid." I'd like to see him work while on the meds you take. Who knows why he didn't approve you. The only thing that makes sense at SS is that they have no sense sometimes. Sorry that I'm so frustrated....The system is broken and needs repair.

Take care, and I'm happy for you! Thanks for sharing your story.

Regards,

Ex

Old 02-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #14
(male)

Emmettk HB User

Executor, You are so right, this system is so messed up, its crazy. It does need a major over haul...
Untill then, Everyone needs to keep fighting. Don't give up...

Emmett

Closed Thread