It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2009, 03:21 PM   #1
(female)

puppybreath HB User
Question physical capacity test

Hi everyone, I am scheduled for a physical capacity test through my attorney to help me with my long term disability case. It takes a day and a half. Has anyone ever gone through this sort of testing and if so, what can I expect?? Thanks for any info!

Old 08-28-2009, 04:35 PM   #2
(male)

brokenhipster HB User
Re: physical capacity test

I went to one because the vocational education service for disabilities sent me. They told me that they would help supply equipment to my new job so I could do it better. I broke my hip and it aches. When I got there, they said they don't supply any assistance devices and were to test me physically. I told them I can't pick up heavy stuff or run. He had me do squats lifting 25lbs of the ground and walking down the hall with 25lbs. I have been in extreme pain for 3 days now and can't walk very far. Don't do anything that you know you can't even if they tell you to try your best and that they are professionals with experience. He said he dealt with people in worst shape than me and is older than me. That idiot should have read my doctor's notes and my questionnaire. After the tests were done, he said I should be able to lift 25lbs 1/3 to 2/3 of the day which I totally disagree with. I hope I get better because I can't stand this pain. All I wanted was a desk job so I could afford a doctor. Now I am even more gimpy and in pain.

Last edited by brokenhipster; 08-28-2009 at 04:38 PM. Reason: felt like it

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Be sure, when they ask you to do a task, that if it hurts or you are unable to do it - tell them at that time exactly what limits you "After I get to here in the squat I feel extreme pain in my hip/spine/etc" (whatever body part you experience pain or stress in) instead of a response like "It hurts to do this". Be succinct and exact in your descriptions. Also tell them up front of any assistive devices you use at home (if any) and how the tasks they request are different from what you do at home or in most situations "I've never had to lift over head before at my prior jobs".

Old 09-09-2009, 08:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

I had a Functional Capacity Evaluation, which I am assuming is the same thing you are having.
Take your normal meds the morning of the test. Don't take any PRN meds that you use for breakthrough pain, but take them with you to the test. If you start to hurt after awhile, tell them that you need to take an extra pain med and be specific about what hurts that is causing you to need the extra medication. About halfway through my test I had to take an extra medication. If the next test requires more physical activity, ask them if they can change and do a more sedentary activity to allow the meds time to kick in.
You MUST make a real effort to do the tests they require. At least make an attempt and do as much as you can without hurting yourself. I agree with the other poster, that you need to be very specific about what hurts that is casuing you not to be able to continue with that particular activity. One activity that I did required me to kneel on the floor.....well great...I got down and the tester had to help me up!!
The day after the test I could not get out of bed!!!! I called my doctor who called in a Rx for steroids and documented my pain. I also called the center that did the testing and spoke with the tester about my pain and offered to go in for her to evaluate me. She declined, but again you have documentation of the after effects of the testing. I also let my lawyer know what was going on. You can NEVER have too much documentation!
Good luck!

Deb

Closed Thread