It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2009, 08:18 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
3 minute hearing today

I had my disability hearing this morning. It lasted 3 entire minutes! The judge asked me only one question, which was to clarify the work I did from home during the time I've been waiting for disability. He wanted to make sure I hadn't made more than the allowable amount and to confirm that we were amending the onset date to simplify the records -- it didn't affect the amount I can be paid in backpay whatsoever.

After he clarified that information, he stated that he saw no problem with granting me full disability beginning with the onset date we have claimed. He was satisfied that my documentation supported my claim completely. Woo hoo! This has been a long, cruel journey, but it's now OVER!

I'm so relieved and so happy! There's a big light at the end of the tunnel! All these bills are gonna get paid!

Thanks to all who have given me such good advice here during this process. You've been great! Your support and encouragement have meant a lot!

Emily

Old 01-20-2009, 11:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

gayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB User
Re: 3 minute hearing today

Congrats!

I can only hope my hearing is only three minutes long. (I am waiting for a date with the ALJ).

Thanks for letting us know how it went. I agree that there is so much good advice and support here. I think I have learned more from the people who have been fighting the good fight, than all the books and websites put together.

Again, congrats, and thanks for letting us know. It gives the rest of us hope!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User

Hi Emily, I just wanted to say congradulations to you for finally winning the battle with SS to get your disability. I know you've been trying for a long time and I'm glad to hear that you were finally granted your disability. We all know getting that backpay will nice especially to finally pay off the bills that have accumulated during the process of applying for disabilily. Once again Congradulations on your victory.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User
Thumbs up Re: 3 minute hearing today

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!
Thank you for sharing so much!
Wish you the Best

BeHappy2

Old 01-20-2009, 10:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kyma3 HB User

Emily I have been thinking about you so much and was wondering how things were going for you. I am so happy that it went well for you and it sounds like you had an understanding judge. I know you worried about that small income you had but it looks like everything has worked out for you. I know how relieved you must be and you definitely deserve this favorable decision. I hope you will soon receive your backpay and happier days are ahead for you.

It sounds like the person you chose to help you with your hearing did an excellent job also and I know how we worry about those things also. Congratulations again and I just know things will start looking up for you and your family now.

Blessings
Linda

Old 01-21-2009, 12:25 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

What wonderful news! 3 minutes must have set some kind of record!

Old 01-21-2009, 05:19 AM   #7
(female)

mewcamaro HB User

Congratulations Emily I don't know if you recognize me but I have been following your story. If I remember correctly we both had same problems, a fusion and still having extreme pain afterwards. I just went through a series of 3 epidural injections ...again...and no relief. I have a MIE exam on Thursday with my surgeron, I think WC wants to settle the case, its been 5 years since my injury, 3 surgeries,epirdural inj, trigger point injections, aqua therapy, accupunture, therapy, discogram and many more things I can't even remember. So I am nervous about this exam, although I shouldn't be. I still cannot sit or stand for more than 10-15 min without extreme pain, walking is no better....my life is completely changed since my back injury. I have also filed for SS but was denied, I am appealing it now.

I'm so glad that you have won and don't need to worry. I hope you are feeling better and God bless.

Marie
mewcamaro

Old 01-21-2009, 05:19 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Thanks for thinking about me, Linda. I've wondered how you are. Yes, I hope the backpay comes quickly, too. It will be so nice to write out checks and pay off all the credit cards!

Marie, of course I remember you! Don't give up! Keep appealing! If you have the documentation, you'll eventually get it. It's a tough road and a cruel process, but just keep at it and jump (gently) through all their ridiculous hoops.

Thanks for the happy comments, everyone. I'm glad those who are still waiting can share in my joy. I know that's hard!

Hang in there, all of you who are still battling the system.
Emily

Old 01-26-2009, 09:50 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

Oh Emily! How wonderful! I got my approval last week after 10 minutes! I have been following along here and have seen you post often, so I feel like I have trudged along with you. Congratulations and a big party balloon for us both! I am still taking it in and the relief is so huge.
Mim Gregg

Old 01-26-2009, 02:24 PM   #10
(female)

Vuitton70 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAtlas View Post
I had my disability hearing this morning. It lasted 3 entire minutes! The judge asked me only one question, which was to clarify the work I did from home during the time I've been waiting for disability. He wanted to make sure I hadn't made more than the allowable amount and to confirm that we were amending the onset date to simplify the records -- it didn't affect the amount I can be paid in backpay whatsoever.

After he clarified that information, he stated that he saw no problem with granting me full disability beginning with the onset date we have claimed. He was satisfied that my documentation supported my claim completely. Woo hoo! This has been a long, cruel journey, but it's now OVER!

I'm so relieved and so happy! There's a big light at the end of the tunnel! All these bills are gonna get paid!

Thanks to all who have given me such good advice here during this process. You've been great! Your support and encouragement have meant a lot!

Emily

If you don't mind saying, what do you do from home? The reason I ask is DH & I used to work together in the construction field. I fell 20 feet and injured myself so I am OUT of the field and only occasionaly go on a bid or do some sort of paperwork. One atty I saw(who was not very nice) suggested that I cannot do any work AT ALL or they will deny me? Any help you can offer would be great!

Last edited by Vuitton70; 01-26-2009 at 02:24 PM. Reason: oopsie!

Old 01-26-2009, 02:32 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I was doing reservations by phone through my computer for an airline. They were the client for the call center, which had many, many clients. I chose the one that had the least hours required, 15 per week, but for me, I couldn't even handle that. I worked 2 hours a day with an hour break in between and it wiped me out.

Sorry I can't post the name of the call center. So many of those work from home offers are scams, but there are some that are legitimate. I heard about this one on one of the national morning news programs. Lots of people are doing this successfully. They were a great company to work for, I just couldn't handle the sitting.

I wish you the best,
Emily

Old 01-27-2009, 01:54 PM   #12
(female)

Vuitton70 HB User

Thanks Emily. I don't even work that much helping the business DH & I used to run together.

I just can't imagine how the SSD thinks I can sit or stand for 6 hrs straight! Plus besides wiggling into different positions every few minutes, I would never pass a drug screen b/c of the meds I have to take *to* be able to function.

I'm so happy for you (yay) and GL!

Closed Thread