It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
(female)

npainnTN HB User
Question How long have you waited for a hearing

Hello all, I am new to this board. I have been on the chronic pain board and I read around on this one but have never posted. But, I am curious about a few things and I know you all are the ones to get the answers from.

How long after applying for an ALJ hearing did it take to actually get an court date? I know that it can take what seems like forever. My, lawyer told me to expect 14-18 months. He said this is the range that they go by and tell their clients when questioned. My lawyer is with Dale Buchanan. I am not sure if you have heard of him but he used to be a lawyer for Social Security so supposedly he knows alot about the ins and outs.

I applied for my ALJ hearing in May of 07. So, I am past the range they gave me. I know others have waited years to get a court date. I know last January I was reading on the SS website that they were hiring more lawyers to try and get the backload decreased, but didn't give an estimate of what to expect. It said they were going to do the "aged or dated" cases and get them through the system. The website said a dated case was one which had been waiting for 12 months or longer. I was so excited when I heard this. I was not at that point yet but I knew I was getting close. Now, a year later, I am still in limbo, and haven't heard any further news.

I know that all of us are in the same situation with bills and insurance ect. ect. ect. So, I also wondered how you were coping. I have zero means of income, my husband left me over the disabilities, and now I am back to living off my parents and brother. But, I will get off my soap box sorry to keep blabing. It's just so frustrating.

Thanks for listening and for your input. Good luck to those of you who are going through this as well. Keep us all updated.

You are a lifeline and it's nice to know that there are others who understand what you are going through.

Jenn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2009, 06:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
Re: How long have you waited for a hearing

It really depends on what state you live in. Sorry.

I applied in October 2007. Denied, appealing for reconsideration, denied again. Got a personal advocate and appealed to the hearing stage. This was in May, I think, of 2008. Had my hearing two days ago.

I live in Virginia. If you post your state (no address, of course), maybe there are others here in your state who can give you an idea of how long you can expect to wait.

I wish you the best. Don't give up! It's a long process, but if you deserve it, you'll eventually get it.

Blessings,
Emily

P.S. Okay, duh, I see by your user name that you're in Florida. Hope someone can help you.

Last edited by BlueAtlas; 01-22-2009 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Emily's a little slow today.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

gayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB User

I have been waiting for six months. My attorney told me that 8 - 12 months is the usual wait for an ALJ hearing in Texas. So, I have hopes it will be this year.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:43 AM   #4
(male)

pc2053 HB User

[QUOTE=npainnfla;3857797]Hello all, I am new to this board. I have been on the chronic pain board and I read around on this one but have never posted. But, I am curious about a few things and I know you all are the ones to get the answers from.

How long after applying for an ALJ hearing did it take to actually get an court date? I know that it can take what seems like forever. My, lawyer told me to expect 14-18 months. He said this is the range that they go by and tell their clients when questioned. My lawyer is with Dale Buchanan. I am not sure if you have heard of him but he used to be a lawyer for Social Security so supposedly he knows alot about the ins and outs.

I applied for my ALJ hearing in May of 07. So, I am past the range they gave me. I know others have waited years to get a court date. I know last January I was reading on the SS website that they were hiring more lawyers to try and get the backload decreased, but didn't give an estimate of what to expect. It said they were going to do the "aged or dated" cases and get them through the system. The website said a dated case was one which had been waiting for 12 months or longer. I was so excited when I heard this. I was not at that point yet but I knew I was getting close. Now, a year later, I am still in limbo, and haven't heard any further news.

I know that all of us are in the same situation with bills and insurance ect. ect. ect. So, I also wondered how you were coping. I have zero means of income, my husband left me over the disabilities, and now I am back to living off my parents and brother. But, I will get off my soap box sorry to keep blabing. It's just so frustrating.

Thanks for listening and for your input. Good luck to those of you who are going through this as well. Keep us all updated.

You are a lifeline and it's nice to know that there are others who understand what you are going through.

Jenn[/QUOTE

HI Jenn, Like many others that are in the same situation it goes beyond frustration. If you have no means of income .. contact social services.. if you qualify and I am sure you will they will give you some mo nary assistance , help you find living place ..you may also be able to get food stamp and medical assistance.. kinda a stop gap till you get your SSDI and also you should also get SSI,, The length of time it takes for a hearing with the ALJ depends on what the backup time is in your area. You can find that out by calling SS 800 number or look on there web page,,

If you have an URGENT situation -- like eviction from your residence you might be able to get you case expected quickly.. its part of the SS law .. you can read about it in the ss page.. Talk with your lawyers for specific in your state..

I hope this helped.. Good luck let me know..

Peter C

Old 01-22-2009, 07:54 PM   #5
(female)

npainnTN HB User

Thanks for your input. I actually just moved to Tennessee in May (when my husband left I had no where to go but home), so my case was transferred from florida to here. The time line was what my lawyer gave me. You are right it is a very frustrating process. It seems like the ones that don't really need it, you get it right away. But, the ones who really desearve it have to wait forever. My exstep-sister got it on her first try for only depression. The problem is she is as capable of working as anyone. She is lazy. Don't get me wrong, depression is a real disability. It is on my list of disabilities, but not the main one. Everyone that knows her says she just doesn't want to work, not the she can't. She still goes out and parties and does whatever she wants.

Do you know about applying for just SSI? I looked on the page and it looks like to apply for just SSI I am applying for SSDI all over. And I don't want to do that. I am in the process of getting paperwork ready to try and get families first and a child support order because my husband hasn't given me a penny in over a year. The problem I am having with social services is that living with my mom they want to count her income and even though she makes a little more than minimum wage it completely throws off what I could get. It would be amazing to have a place of my own again. Maybe I just need to go there and talk to them instead of just doing it via email and over the phone.

thanks again....good luck to everyone waiting.

Jenn

p.s. blueatlas...good for your congrats...how did it go? It is amazing that you just applied and got a court date in that short of a time frame. I know in your eyes it wasn't short, but that seems really fast.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:14 PM   #6
(female)

happygirl440 HB User

Hi Jenn,

I've been at the hearing stage now for 10 months. I was in Ohio and moved to SC. I was told in Sept to expect 24-36 months for a hearing date in my area.

Also since your from TN do you know about calling 211?
They can answer your questions and direct you to progrmas that can help you get housing ect....

Good luck
Cindy

Old 01-23-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

I may be wrong, but I think applying for SSI and SSDI are all rolled up together. I remember in my initial application filling out the section for SSI. We don't qualify, as my husband does work, but it was all in there together.

I wouldn't reapply. You might jeopardize your application date. Call or go into the local office and ask about it. You may also want to call social services in your town and see if you can qualify for some other kinds of assistance. I noticed yesterday that my water bill actually has a local number at the bottom for people with disabilities to call for help and assistance.

I hope this helps.
Emily

Old 01-23-2009, 02:31 PM   #8
(female)

npainnTN HB User

happygirl440, no i did not know about 211, i will check into it. thanks for the help. I can't believe the waiting time is that long. It should be illegal to make it take that long. I understand that their are a lot of people applying and in the same position, but you would think with the extra ALJ's they hired and the new teleconferances they would be able to get the cases done faster than they do. But, what are we to do.....we have to wait because we have to have it.....good luck to you....

blueatlas...i was thinking the same about the SSDI and SSI....i did apply for it when i applied for the SSDI, but for the same reason was denied. My lawyer said that since my husband left us, and I have no income that I should now qualify for it. I guess I will just have to go talk to someone there or call them because I have to get the SSDI, and no I don't want to start from square one again. I have waited to long to start over....as most of us have.

thanks for your suggestions
jenn

Reply Reply