It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User
Talking There is hope!

Hi all, I wanted to share my happy news with you all that are still waiting on SSD or SSI. Some of you may know that I had a head injury 3 years ago and was also dx with fibro, myofascial pain syndrome, and degenerative disc disease as well as moderate depression. I think we all get moderate to severe depression trying to get disability! I of course was denied several times and had my hearing last Wednesday in federal court. I feel God truly blessed me after all that has taken place and was given a favorable on the record decision in only 10 minutes even though I am in my late 30's! My age and high level of education was really hurting me according to Soc. Sec., but the judge ruled on my medical condition(s). Please, hang in there and don't give up hope! I finally had to learn to let go of the majority of my anxiety over unpaid bills and lack of income and somehow my son and I made it week by week til the hearing. I wish you all a promising prayer for approval!
Mim Gregg

Old 01-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
Re: There is hope!

Congratulations, Mim! Isn't that a weight off your shoulders?! Hopefully they'll process it quickly and before you know it, you'll be writing out checks and paying off bills. Yea!

Emily

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sickofpain2 HB Usersickofpain2 HB User

I am so happy for you. It is a shame how this SS freakin' nightmare wears you out.

I had basically given up--BUT, I got a letter last week stating Appeals Council remanded my case back to the ALJ cuz he didnt handle my case correctly.

My attorney said my case has priority in setting hearing date due to the age (I filed in July 2005). He also said it is a great sign cusz not many cases get sent back to ALJ from what I have learned.

Last edited by sickofpain2; 01-26-2009 at 05:55 PM.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

That does sound like a good sign; it being sent back that is! I wish you the best of luck with it and pray that a favorable decision is made quickly!
Mim Gregg

Old 01-27-2009, 06:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

It is a huge relief Emily! I may have to hire someone to pay all these bills. I will end up with carpal tunnel just trying to write all of them....LOL. (There really is a stack of them tho' in a carry on bag in my closet!)
Mim Gregg

Old 01-27-2009, 07:33 AM   #6
(female)

debi1957 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimgregg View Post
Hi all, I wanted to share my happy news with you all that are still waiting on SSD or SSI. Some of you may know that I had a head injury 3 years ago and was also dx with fibro, myofascial pain syndrome, and degenerative disc disease as well as moderate depression. I think we all get moderate to severe depression trying to get disability! I of course was denied several times and had my hearing last Wednesday in federal court. I feel God truly blessed me after all that has taken place and was given a favorable on the record decision in only 10 minutes even though I am in my late 30's! My age and high level of education was really hurting me according to Soc. Sec., but the judge ruled on my medical condition(s). Please, hang in there and don't give up hope! I finally had to learn to let go of the majority of my anxiety over unpaid bills and lack of income and somehow my son and I made it week by week til the hearing. I wish you all a promising prayer for approval!
Mim Gregg
Wow Congratulations. I too won my case at the Alj hearing, it was my 3rd ALJ hearing. The first two I got denied twice, same judge(duh) . So they decided to give me a different Judge for the third time (thank you) and he ruled in my favor.
Now comes another wait, the money. i waited since October 2008 I will get my first check Feb 09. They told me the backpay will be around March.

So again congratulations, it is a huge relief, its been a six year fight and wait for me, im glad it is over.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:21 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User
Thumbs up Re: There is hope!

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!
Federal Court must have been very stressfull and emotional.
Good to hear you Won and will receive backpay.
From reading posts, it sounds like ss tries to not give the full back pay due.
Hopefully much of your stress can be gone and so good you Won!!

BeHappy2

Old 01-28-2009, 12:46 PM   #8
(female)

Campo Kim HB User
Smile Re: There is hope!

Hi Mim,

I think it was meant for me to read your post today!! I am 38, have all of the ailments you suffer from (minus the head injury) and have Lupus, major depression, anxiety, PTSD and a mood disorder on top of it all. I was denied twice and I am currently awaiting a trial--which probably won't happen for another year. It is just so encouraging to hear that you hung in there and had a favorable decision. I have been praying for the trial to come up a little sooner as our financial situation is terrible. Anyway, I wanted to let you know that you really encouraged me. Thank you.

Kim

Old 01-29-2009, 08:43 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kim, I am glad it was on time for you! It is so hard to jump through the hoops, but if you have so much additional issues you should get it, just hang in there and good luck!
Mim

Old 01-29-2009, 08:45 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Debi, so glad you finally got approval. What a relief! I hope it does not take as long as it has for you to get my checks coming in. But then again, I have waited and am good at it now...lol.
Mim

Old 01-29-2009, 08:48 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks BeHappy2! Actually federal court was not stressful. I was so blessed to have a fair and pleasant acting judge and all that were in there were very kind and made me comfortable. Now I need to add that this is not the norm from many I have talked with so I am so glad that I did get this particular judge! I also was really tired and kind of numb when I went in because I did not want to be too hopeful.
Mim

Old 01-30-2009, 03:02 PM   #12
(female)

Vuitton70 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimgregg View Post
Mim Gregg
OMgoodnes, I am also in my late thirties and on my denial letter they stated that due to my education (and their insistance that I could work 6 hrs a da) I was denied! Also the atty's I have talked to suggested that due to my age, it would be iffy to win.

Did you use an atty? The 2 I spoke with didn't give me the warm fuzzys nor did they seem capable of representing my case well.

We too are *just* getting by, it takes soo long. By the time I ever get approved, the savings we had will be gone!

Last edited by Vuitton70; 01-30-2009 at 03:03 PM.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:46 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, yes, I did use an attorney after getting denied twice. If you have well documented medical evidence of your disabling problems then an attorney with a specialty in social security should be willing to take your case. If you have an attorney that acts doubtful MOVE ON! Find a good attorney that thinks your case is a winner. I wish you the best! My attorney saw from all my medical records that it was winnable. The key he says is to show what keeps you from working; how your physical or mental problems affect your abiltity to work. You do not have to be crippled or handicapped. You do have to be unable to work.
Mim Gregg

Old 01-31-2009, 10:26 AM   #14
(female)

Vuitton70 HB User

Thanks again for the sound advice. I see your in South Carolina, my home state!!! I sure wish I was back there instead of Southern California. I wonder if place of residency has anything to do w/ winning ones case. I was told that out here I am in a HUGE stack waiting for a hearing. Whereas my Mom who lives in GA, had a friend who got in pretty quick and didn't have all the issues that I am having out here. I do have all my medical evidence to back me up, I guess I need to find the *right* atty!

Old 01-31-2009, 10:41 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

What part of SC? Shopping around for the attorney that fits you is so important considering this will be your income for life. The good news of being in SC is that they are acknowledging the huge backlog and are trying to catch up. This is how I got through from June 2006 applying and being denied twice to having a favorable federal decision the last week January of 2009. Good luck to you!
Mim Gregg

Closed Thread