It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009, 11:21 PM   #1
(male)

ctbo HB User
Question how do i get on disability?

I have a bad depression issue and anxiety issue and bad ibs and I just cant work. I have tried and I cant.the thing is i havent worked in over 9 years and i dont think i will get on it becasue i didnt work as many quarters as most people.I was told they will put me on ssi.but the thing is i dont know how do go about getting on it.my doctor said she would help me fill out the paper work but then its up to them.do i have to go to a court room for all this?with my problems i cant go to a place like that/how on earth will i get on this when on the outside i look normal but on the inside im not.need some help here thank you.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:20 AM   #2
(female)

debi1957 HB User
Re: how do i get on disabliitie????????

Hi I think you first need to go and Apply at Social Security office. They will help you fill out paper work. After that I would get someone to help you through the whole process, it can be stressful. There are advocates out there to mentor you and see you through the whole ordeal, so you will not be alone. Im not sure how to contact them, but perhaps Social Security can refer you or better yet some folks on these boards. Good luck to you, and be well.

Last edited by debi1957; 01-28-2009 at 07:22 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2009, 08:06 AM   #3
(female)

FloridaGail HB User
Re: how do i get on disability?

Please apply for ssi , and if you ever worked ssdi. They can only say no. The doctor agreeing to fill out forms will be a great help. If you get denied a first and second appeal then you get a attorney (they are free only get paid if they win for you) if it goes to court hearing, not bad at all. believe me I was nervous wreck before my hearing, it was small room only judge and typist in room and attorney. He goes over the records ask a few questions. The attorney will prepare you for it believe me. i

Old 01-28-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

If you haven't worked enough to qualify for SSDI, maybe you can at least get SSI, which is based on income, not how much you worked. Can't hurt to give it a try. The SS office can let you know if you have enough work time for SSDI. If so, apply! You have your doctor in your corner, which is a huge plus. If not, apply for the SSI.

It's a long process, but be persistent and it will eventually pay off.

Emily

Old 01-28-2009, 11:39 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

ctbo, you can call Social Security and ask for an appointment, that way you will know what time, and they'll take you to a private area to fill out the paperwork. It will lessen your time in their waiting room. Sometimes, they will even let you apply over the phone, and you can file on the internet.

Also, if you get denied (like most do at first), when you make it to the ALJ it isn't like you see courtrooms on tv. I'll describe my hearing with the ALJ - it was in a big building downtown, there was a good sized waiting room with doors to small rooms all around it. We had to go through a metal detector. The people who had hearings were there (not many at once, some had a spouse or friend with them.) My lawyer came and got me early and we went to a small room with a desk to talk about my case. Then we went into a larger room which had a large conference table. In this larger room was the judge, someone taking notes, someone from Vocational Rehab to determine if I could do any work, the lawyer, and me. That's all. No jury, no people watching and listening. And it wasn't like they were cross examining me, it was more like carrying on a conversation. The judge looked through my papers, and asked me questions based on what was in my paperwork. He wanted more details of some things. I got to describe how my mind thinks (or doesn't do it well, actually), how reading technical material is like greek to me now (but that used to be my job). I had to talk about my depression and how it affects me. Just saying what was in my application, but in different words. He wanted to know why all of a sudden after having a good job for years, now I couldn't do it. So I described all my meltdowns at work, how I hid them from my co-workers for so many years, how I'd go driving around at lunch screaming my head off, or to the bathroom and cry. How they would catch me sometimes and be shocked. And it just got worse and worse over the years and I couldn't make it to a private place before the meltdown hit. So he had a better understanding of what was going on with me than I was able to write down on that sheet of paper.

You can take someone with you if it will help you stay calmer, you don't have to go alone.

1st step - call social security and make an appointment, before the end of January if possible, so your benefits will start with this month. Good luck!

Closed Thread