It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009, 12:20 PM   #1
(female)

simran2005 HB User
what are the chances of getting fired while being on short term disability

what are the chances of getting fired while being on short term disability

Old 01-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: what are the chances of getting fired while being on short term disability

Hello and welcome to the boards.

This is a loaded question. You have not provided any information. It really depends on what is going on. If you went of STD legitimately, the company would hard pressed to fire you or lay you off. There are federal and state laws protecting you. Much will depend on what state you reside, so you can do some research on it.

However, if you went on STD to avoid being fired or downsized, then that is a different story. Although they would be hard pressed to do it while you were out, they could fire you as soon as you returned. Or, they could really push the Doc (and you) for proper documentation.

At some point, STD will either turn into LTD, or one will return to work. You should look into the "Family Medical Leave Act." You cannot be fired or laid off while on FMLA.

Lastly, I must point out that just because you are protected by labor laws, that doesn't mean the company still may not fire you or lay you off. If so, then it would up to you to file an official complaint with the gov't / state. Smaller companies are less likely to know all the guidelines. Even so, it's highly unlikely that a company would try to do so while on STD. Any company with an HR Dept would know the appropriate laws.

Hope this helps. Regards,

Ex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread