It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
(female)

azarmadillo HB User
Retro pay from SSI and SSDI

I am going to try and explain what just happened to us so as to get some accurate information from someone here who knows. My husband just got his award letter for SSDI for $685 which, as we understand it, is what came from his work record. Since we had applied for both SSI and SSDI the letter stated that he was going to start receiving payments but that they were holding the retro which starts June of 2008 to March of 2009 until we went to a meeting at the local Social Security office regarding SSI approval and payments. We went through the interview with, not to be mean, a semi-knowledgeable worker and the conclusion that he was approved for an additional $9 a month in SSI. So I went into what we really needed to know, which was what the retro pay would be and when we would be receiving it. She claimed that after working there 11 years she was not completely sure how the calculation of it all worked but that some of that payment in the award letter (that I understood to just be SSDI) would be paid from SSI and some from SSDI and they needed to calculate it all before they would send a letter telling us what he would get. To make matters worse, she claimed that the retro pay would come in payments of $2021 every six months. I tried to question her on this but she couldn't clearly explain it and we left frustrated and worried.

NOW...this is how I thought it worked and hopefully someone can confirm this for me. The $685 he was approved for comes from SSDI and he should be getting a one lump sum payment from that from the June, '08 to March of '09 that it says he is due in the award letter. Now that they found he is approved for $9 in SSI, wouldn't that be the small retro amount he would get and even if they take that from the SSDI lump sum, shouldn't we still be getting one lump sum? From what I understand, if he were getting his full award from SSI, then he would be getting his back payments in $2,000 increments but SSDI does the lump sum payment and not payments over time like SSI and we should be getting that perhaps minus $9 a month for the prior approval period. We called Social Security and got a little more information that sounded a bit more like that. Sorry, long story short here is our situation and if someone could tell us what to expect, we would be very grateful. Our Award letter reads that he is approved for $647.50 from June '08 and changes up to $685 in December '08 until March '09 and we will be getting his first payment of $685 in April. We found out today at the meeting he is eligible for an additional $9 in SSI benefits. With all that information at hand, what should he be getting in a lump sum and is it a lump sum and not payments every six months? With all this misinformation we got today and the stress of this going on for years, any help and correct information would be so appreciated by us...thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread