HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Disabilities (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/disabilities/)
-   -   Stimulus checks for the disabled (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/disabilities/683903-stimulus-checks-disabled.html)

NOTSONUTSO 04-03-2009 12:40 AM

Stimulus checks for the disabled

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Has anyone received their $250 stimulus check yet? It is absolute fact that SSI & SSDI recipients are included this year. I read on SS website that the checks will begin arriving in April & continue through May. It goes by the last 4 digits of SS number & depends on if your check is direct-deposit or mailed.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

lindasj 04-03-2009 02:02 AM

Re: Stimulus checks for the disabled

I didn't know we were getting them in April the SSA site says by late May. I could use it now, cool. Where did you get your info.
I just reread your post. I need to check out that website to find more info on it. I just read the stuff on the first page.

mscat40 04-03-2009 12:46 PM

Yes, I also hear that they were not going to be issued out until late May. And to epect them in Mid June. They are only $250.00 to adults on SSI or SSDI. You can also call the 1-800 number and they will also tell you the same thing.

NOTSONUTSO 04-04-2009 01:13 AM

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkOrange"] Oops! I meant to say May not April. The Social Security website says checks should begin arriving by May 9th. It is not being done alphabetically, rather by the last 4 digits of SS #. Checks that are direct-deposit will arrive first. I noted the amount would be $250.

There were some postings on the website by people receiving Social Security who wanted to know if they too would get a check. The answer was no, only disabled. It is nice to finally be acknowledged. Disabled people are suffering in this economy as well as anyone else. I know I will put my check to good use & in turn it will hopefully give back. :)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Executor 04-04-2009 07:14 AM

Good info Notsonutso. Thanks for sharing.

I looked on the site and got conflicting information about children of disabled? I wonder if they will get the payments?

Regards,

Ex

RetiredDirector 04-04-2009 05:05 PM

The way I read it on the SSA website, is anyone who is on Social Security will receive the $250 stimulus checks. Not just those on SSD or SSI.

WorriednNervous 04-05-2009 08:20 AM

I was just going through the FAQ section on the payments. It says kids who get just Social Security Benefits do not get the check. Kids that are on SSI (disabled children) will get the payment.

mscat40 04-05-2009 11:59 AM

I am confused by what you meant? Between SSI and social security benifits ? Since children don't work SSI is the only benifits a child is eligible for under social security.
What I understood it to be was that the Stimulus check was for adults only. I would like it to be different , because my son could be entitled to the $250 as well. Hummm ?

WorriednNervous 04-05-2009 02:21 PM

SSI is different then social security benefits. SSI comes from a totally different pool of money then other Social Security. When I think of kids with just Social Security benefits I think about surviors benefits and the like. If I had to go by strictly what the site says kids that receive SSI because they are disabled will get the payment.

NOTSONUTSO 04-06-2009 12:41 AM

[FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]Director: Please go back & re-read whatever you read. It is NOT accurate that regular Social Security recipients will receive a stimulus check. It states unequivically on SS website that [I]only[/I] those receiving Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) & Supplemental Security Income (SSI) will get a check. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

mscat40 04-06-2009 01:11 AM

[QUOTE=NOTSONUTSO;3946533][FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]Director: Please go back & re-read whatever you read. It is NOT accurate that regular Social Security recipients will receive a stimulus check. It states unequivically on SS website that [I]only[/I] those receiving Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) & Supplemental Security Income (SSI) will get a check. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

You are absolutely correct. Do not worry about it. It states clearly in the Social Security Administration Website that the Stimulus check is a one time Payment of $250.00 for ADULTS only. This has nothing whatsoever having to do with SSI at all with children ! If there is any further questions then anybody can go look it up on the website on the question and answer page. OR go and call the 1-800 number. It is very simple to do.

RetiredDirector 04-06-2009 04:56 PM

I went back and read the FAQ and this is what it said:

Question
Who will receive a one-time economic recovery payment from Social Security?
Answer
Nearly 55 million Social Security and SSI beneficiaries will receive a one-time payment of $250 each. To receive a payment, the beneficiary’s address of record must be in one of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, or the Northern Mariana Islands.

RetiredDirector 04-06-2009 07:38 PM

I went to the Social Security Administration site and read what was there on the stimulus package. I admit, I did not read every written word, but I read in several places, where it said those on Social Security and SSI, will receive a one time check of $250. The way it read to me, is that everyone on SS and SSD will get the money. My wife is on regular Social Security and I'm still on SSD, but I read it to say we would both receive the stimulus check.

judy460 04-06-2009 08:34 PM

All Social Security recipients will receive the $250.00. It isn't limited to those on disability.

hugg724 04-06-2009 09:30 PM

$250 Social Security Payment and Working Credit: I also received some questions regarding whether this payment would be available to otherwise qualified retirees or disabled people who are also social security recipients. The answer is that it will, but in a reduced fashion. Because there is another provision in the overall stimulus bill of a one-time payment of $250 in 2009 to retirees and disabled people receiving Social Security benefits, the $400 income-tax credit (rebate) will be reduced by $250. To clarify: You get the $250 SS credit (which will distributed as an additional payment) plus a reduced $150 working tax credit (total is still $400).

Update to $250 SSI payment: The Social Security Administration (SSA) reports that everyone who is entitled to the $250 payment should receive it by late May 2009. No action is required on your part. They are currently working on the details regarding it will be issued to nearly 55 million beneficiaries. Note: The Making working Pay $400/$800 credit is being paid by the IRS, while the $250 social security payment is being paid out by the SSA.

To receive payment, the beneficiary’s address of record must be in a valid US state or territory. Only individuals eligible for Social Security, SSI, Veterans, or Railroad Retirement benefits at any time during the months of November 2008, December 2008, or January 2009 may be eligible for the one-time payment. The $250 payment will be delivered in the same way your current Social Security or SSI benefit is sent.

# Who is eligible? Anyone who was entitled to Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or to any of the following Social Security benefits at any time during the period November 2008 to January 2009: retirement, wife's and husband's, disabled adult child (but not other child's benefits), widow's and widower's, mother's or fathers', parent's, disability insurance benefits, special age 72 benefits. Note that my answer relates only to eligibility based upon Social Security entitlement. There is also eligibility based upon receiving VA or Railroad Retirement benefits.
# Update: Are children eligible for $250 payments? I thought that I had already made this clear, but I keep getting questions about it, so let me be very specific. Children only qualify if they are on SSI or if they are receiving disabled adult child benefits. Only children who are receiving benefits because they are disabled are eligible for the $250 payments. Generally, children do not qualify for the $250 payments.

Some other facts:

The one-time $250 payment will not count as gross income on your federal income tax return.

Disabled children receiving SSI are eligible for the one-time $250 payment.

The way I interpret all of this is anyone who was drawing a monthly payment for Social Security Retirement, Veterans, Railroad Retirement, SSDI, and SSI (including disabled children) at any time from Nov. 2008 - Jan 2009 will receive the payment. Children who receive a monthly check because of their parents being disabled, do not get the $250 payment.

I did a simple search with:
will disabled children on SSI receive the $250 stimulus payment and the answer was plainly yes.
I did a simple search of who will receive the $250 stimulus payment and posted just a small few of the answers because they were the same on all sites.