It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2009, 10:11 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

hyper79 HB User
SSD hearing scheduled

Hello everyone,It's been a while since I've posted,I have had some rough days which has kept me away from the computer.After over 2 years of being denied I'm finially up for a hearing scheduled the 9th of this month,my nerves are a wreck.I'm applying due to major depression,bipolar II,anxiety/panic disorder and fibro.My lawyer will be flying in for the hearing,I've never met him,only spoke to him by phone.I'm not sure what to say or what I'll be asked by the judge? My anxiety is already starting to build up!!!! I was denied due to age,education & past work experience,I'f I'm correct the denials also said medical evidence shows you do have limitations ect........,the usual I suppose.I have been going to a state mental health clinic for the past 4-5 years trying or more less experimenting with drugs that have a negative effect on me,my p-doc stated I am sensitive to medications and so far resistant to treatment for my depressive episodes which cycle from 4-5 times per week or sometimes several times a day.I'm not even sure I'f I need to take my meds with me? I'm not even sure if my wife can be with me? Any tips on what to expect?

Last edited by hyper79; 04-04-2009 at 10:14 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2009, 07:06 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: SSD hearing scheduled

Hello...Sorry to hear about your problems. Sounds like you've got it pretty rough.

I would suggest you reading the thread "Not sure how to feel"....Last post was on 3/25. I posted a very long detailed analysis about what I experienced and there are several other very good posts in there as well. After reading through all of it, I'd be happy to answer any questions that you may have. I feel quite sure others will jump here as well.

Regards,

Ex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2009, 09:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hyper79 HB User

Well Executor today was the big day and was much like you described!!Last night was rough,I tossed and turned thinking about today.I dressed casual,slacks and a nice shirt.My lawyer which I've never saw in person but only spoke with by phone met me to go over the hearing process which was suppose to be a hour breifing but it was only about 20 minutes because the case before mine did not show up and the judge was ready,so the hearing was actually 40 minutes early.My wife was not allowed to go in unless the judge needed her as a wittness or if I could not remember something,which he did not need her.I sat in front of the judge,the vocational expert was to my right,my lawyer to my left and a lady recording the hearing to the judges right.The judge began by having me give an oath and to state my name ect.. into the microphone.The first was questions from the judge regarding my past job history which was long because I was fired from soo many asking in detail what I did at that job and details as to why I left.The second part my lawyer began by questioning me regarding my claim for disability,my past treatment,current treatment,drug side effects,how my condition affects my daily life,my family, as well as what my typical day is like,which I answered in as much detail as I could,not just stating I'm depressed or I feel bad but the actual symptoms of my condition ,that was the rough part for me,I almost broke down but I held strong,I know if I did I'd have to walk out. The third portion of my hearing was the judges questions which was nearly the same as my lawyers but a bit more personal and he had really went over my medical records quite well because he questioned me about when I resisted treatment for my depression over a year ago and I explained that I was tried on a antidepressant that had a adverse reation causing me to have very severe mood swings and increased my depression to a unbearable level and after quitting that medicine I had to get more counceling to overcome my fear before starting on another med which was documented well after he flipped through my file.The hearing lasted about 35 minutes and stated his decision was favorable on my part and that I would be reviewed in 18 months to see if my condition had improved which I hope it will,I really miss working and being a part of society,I'm tired of feeling sick and nearly housebound.I'm happy but still in shock from today and very exhausted.Just wanted to share my experience.

Last edited by hyper79; 04-09-2009 at 09:10 PM.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:27 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper79 View Post

Well Executor today was the big day and was much like you described!!
Glad I was able to help! Congrats on your award....You deserve it. I think it really helps to know ahead of time what to expect. Hopefully, you'll be alot more relaxed now and not so stressed. Try to get lots of rest and recover a bit.

Quote:

The second part my lawyer began by questioning me regarding my claim for disability,my past treatment,current treatment,drug side effects,how my condition affects my daily life,my family, as well as what my typical day is like,which I answered in as much detail as I could,not just stating I'm depressed or I feel bad but the actual symptoms of my condition ,that was the rough part for me,I almost broke down but I held strong,I know if I did I'd have to walk out.
Yes....This is the most critical part of any hearing I think....Describing in detail and really emphasizing the effects of one's meds. Many don't take the advantage of doing so. As I've stated many times, the meds themselves are a big indication of one's condition.

Lastly, PM me if you'd like, but to give you some unsolicited advice....Don't tell anyone about your disability....You'll be judged and talked about all over town. When someone sees you out doing something, they'll say "he doesn't look like he's on disability"...Or, "We're paying his salary now." PM me and we an discuss in detail. This is a big issue, IMHO and it's critical that you have your ducks in a row early on this.

Best of luck to you...You did great.

Regards,

Ex

Old 04-10-2009, 05:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

hyper79 HB User

Just wondering now that I'm approved,how long does it usually take to begin receiving benefits,backpay and medicare.My lawyer said I'd be receiving a letter regarding all that information soon but really did not give a time frame?

Last edited by hyper79; 04-10-2009 at 05:18 PM.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper79 View Post
Just wondering now that I'm approved,how long does it usually take to begin receiving benefits,backpay and medicare.My lawyer said I'd be receiving a letter regarding all that information soon but really did not give a time frame?
Don't be surprised if you receive the money (check) before you get your award letter. Your letter will give you details on how much, when, and where. I would sign up for direct deposit for the reasons we discussed on PM. Everything normally arrives 4-6 weeks after your hearing. It's just a matter of clerical work....Having it entered into the system and then the system cutting you a check. You're payment will be set up and part of a large payout pool where all the check or direct deposits are done at once. If I'm not mistaken, disability receiptants are put into one of 3 or 4 buckets, administratively, and each groups is coordinated together.

Also, do you have any children? I ask because they are eligible for benefits. I can provide more details if so.

Re: Medicare, you are eligible 24 months after you are eligible to receive benefits. Because there is a 5 month waiting period from your onset date before one can receive benefits, the total time is 29 months....Thus, 29 months after your onset date, you are eligible for Medicare. This is a big issue for a lot of people, because there is usually a big gap between their company insurance or COBRA, and their eligibility for Medicare. The exception of course would be if one could get on a spouse's policy. PM me if interested and I can give you some info.

Hope this helps,

Ex

Old 04-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #7
(male)

broke as a joke HB User

best advice anyone could give,,, sit down write the judge a letter,, tellin the judge how your disability affects you,, not you dianoisis,, how it affects you,, and what you can and cant do,,,

Old 04-11-2009, 09:22 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke as a joke View Post

best advice anyone could give,,, sit down write the judge a letter,, tellin the judge how your disability affects you,, not you dianoisis,, how it affects you,, and what you can and cant do,,,
With all due respect, this not the "best advice anyone could give."

Regards,

Ex

Old 04-11-2009, 10:49 PM   #9
(male)

broke as a joke HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
With all due respect, this not the "best advice anyone could give."

Regards,

Ex

okay i's sorry executor,,,

but what i meant by that is be prepared and write a letter about your issue,, just like explaining in the last post,, your past jobs and condition and all that,, but in letter form you dont get nervous and you just have to read from your paper, telling you history instead of a lawyer asking questions

Old 04-12-2009, 12:03 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke as a joke View Post
but what i meant by that is be prepared and write a letter about your issue,, just like explaining in the last post,, your past jobs and condition and all that,, but in letter form you dont get nervous and you just have to read from your paper, telling you history instead of a lawyer asking questions
Ok....I thought you meant write a letter and send it to the judge. What you're talking about is "reading" it to him at your hearing. Sorry for misunderstanding you.

Regards,

Ex

Closed Thread