It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
(female)

kaykay48 HB User
what to expect in mental exam for ssdi

I have COPD and depression I have a mental exam next week what kind of questions do they ask and how much detail will I be able to give about not being myself anymore

Old 04-16-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
(female)

ChrisNY HB User
Re: what to expect in mental exam for ssdi

Is this an appointment with social security doctors? If it is, I found it to be a huge waste of time. The guy spent maybe 15 minutes with me and asked some basic memory questions. He would say a group of numbers and I would have to repeat it. Then say them backwards. He asked me what year it was, what city we were in, what season it was - just very simple things.
I would like to add that out of the 4 SS doctors that I went to - they all said that I was fine to perform any type of jobs....physically as well as mentally. After my hearing, the judge noted in my approval letter that he put very little weight in their opinions because they only met with me one time, where my own doctors know my health situation much better.
Good luck, and I wouldn't worry about it!

Christine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2009, 11:22 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNY View Post

After my hearing, the judge noted in my approval letter that he put very little weight in their opinions because they only met with me one time, where my own doctors know my health situation much better.
Sounds like a very prudent judge. There is no doubt these so called SS Doctors are very biased. After all, they are paid large sums of money as consultants to SS. And SS isn't going to send anyone to Docs who have been un-SS friendly. They know which Docs have high rates of backing SS. The whole thing is a racket and this is why getting to the hearing stage is so important.

Good luck,

Ex

Old 04-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

I had the same opinion by my Judge that is mentioned above, stating that my treating physicians were more familiar than the SS doc. Personally, I thought the SS doc for the mental exam was very unprofessional and opinionated/biased by a very rude opinion she expressed of me. I wanted to report her but was afraid to rock the boat. Later, I was seen as genuine and deemed disabled by a Judge, was all the vindication I needed.

I agree that it was some questions regarding who was governor, president, what day it was, etc and then a series of numbers and objects, counting backwards by 7's or some other number, etc. I did well even though I was half loopy on meds at that time. Thank goodness, I was taken off all that junk. Good luck on your appointment and hang in there.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
(male)

nechron99 HB User

Don't know the details as far as a mental exam, however from my experience way back in the 80's when I had applied for a PHYSICAL issue, I learned a lot. Best things are evaluations from YOUR doctors, especially if it can be noted that you have seen them regularly. Another are written 'testimonials' from witnesses - friends, family, and especially 'honorable' sources such as clergy, business owners, etc.

Include test results - personality tests such as the MMPI, etc.

Get MANY outside supportive evaluations if possible. See about a clinical psych, LCSW, go to a university clinic, etc.

I had nearly a 2-1/2" thick stack of reports, tests, etc. When we showed up at my ALJ hearing, the judge called in my lawyer - based on the paper evidence alone he rendered his verdict, didn't even have to go through the hearing.

And yes, from what I've heard, the 'consulting' doctors they use are really NOT interested in you at all. They do not give the mountains of documentation necessary.

The idea is to drown the judge with evidence - remove any 'wiggle room'.

And yes, unfortunately the system IS stacked up against you - mostly from a beauracratic / perfunctory view. You have to prove that you are incapable of doing ANYTHING.

Yes, you can have 'good' days. Just show that the other 95% days are BAD days.

What you have to show is that you are unable to 'engage in substantial and gainful activity', which is interpreted to mean the ability to earn over the SGA level (about $980/mo) CONSISTANTLY as interpreted as a minimum 6-hour per day 'standard' work schedule.

Here's the crazy twist to all of this -- once you ARE awarded disability status, the process gets MUCH easier. The burden NOW shifts to proving that you have improved at all when a medical review will be conducted. And THAT is where you want to go to your own doctor.

You can now even hold down a small part-time job if the earnings are under a certain limit. AND they cannot use that work against you in a medical review. (Such as saying, well, you are able to now do WORK ....) FINALLY.......

The other bummer is that the SSA system is not really geared for 'on-again, off-again' recurrent problems. So it's best to hammer them, get it, then use the 'protections' rules to improve things from inside the system.

It's a matter of learning to play chess with the 'system'.

Hey, big corporations do it all the time, right?

- nechron99

Old 09-19-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
(female)

statcha HB User

Have just started SSDI process: is it true that one is ENTITLED to have THEIR OWN DOCTOR administer physical/mental tests - if that doctor will do so?

Thanks a bunch!
Statcha

Old 09-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #7
(female)

sosickofthis HB User

i'm pretty sure you have to use their dr's for the evaluations, they also get medical records from your dr's. it doesn't take very long to do it. its more of a nuasance than anything.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:28 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by statcha View Post
Have just started SSDI process: is it true that one is ENTITLED to have THEIR OWN DOCTOR administer physical/mental tests - if that doctor will do so?
Welcome to Healthboards. Many here have a wide variety of experiences and thus, can offer lots of advice and support.

If you can provide a bit more information, I'd be glad to provide some feedback / suggestions. Any time one files for SSD, Social Security has the option of sending you to a IME, or independent medical exam.

Regards,

Ex

Old 09-19-2009, 09:47 PM   #9
(male)

Remmers HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by statcha View Post

Thanks a bunch!
Statcha
Anything that you can get from your dr showing your disability is going to be a plus for you.

The more you have the better if will help, no matter what it is.

I wish you luck on your new "journey"

You are surrounded by alot of great people and ask away because we are here to help as much as we can

Rich

Old 09-20-2009, 07:28 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmers View Post

Anything that you can get from your dr showing your disability is going to be a plus for you.

The more you have the better if will help, no matter what it is.
Remmers is right....The more you have from your own Docs, the better. Many times, SS will send someone for an IME because there is an absence of information....And they need some type of exam to make a decision.

Regards,

Ex

Old 09-20-2009, 10:47 AM   #11
(female)

statcha HB User

Is true that one is entitled to have one's own doctor do mental and physical SSDI exams (if he agrees to do them)??

Thanks,
statcha

Closed Thread