It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2009, 11:49 AM   #1
(female)

sbella68 HB User
Part-time work, while waiting for SSD answer

Hi,
I have my original SSD case at the Federal level, waiting for answer. I filed a new claim on March 2009 per attorney's recommendation.
My attorney's office said I could work for up a certain amount of time/money while waiting for the decision. I got a Part-time job, working in fast food, 4-5 hours a day 4 days per week. We were behind in bills, I felt so bas HB only one working, so I went back to an old employer from 1999, Mgr is a good friend w/HB. I did explain to him I have Lupus but that I would try my best to be quick and efficient.
The people that work there are fast and I feel like I'm a hinderance to them, like on my second day, a co-worker said outloud "you're doing good, real good", then he looked at his friend and laughed a little and said to her "you know what I mean". When I was done with my order and no customer's I told him "I know you were being sarcastic with what you said, I hope you are never in a situation like you just put me in cause Karma's a @#$%, then you'll know what I mean.
Before this job I got a part-time job at a Dr's office, but my short-term memory is bad, I didn't want to screw up there, I had a hard time filing (which in the past has been so easy).
While at work I'm in so much pain, I want to sit down, I've asked to take a ten min break once before, this was only an hour after I had a Twenty min. break. I don't want to keep asking, some times I sit down in lobby when no customer's are there and pretend to tie my shoes, just to feel a lil relieve.
Today, got my first paycheck, (big diff.then what I was use too).
But it felt great paying bills today, and knowing that I was able to give Dear Hb some cash this morning for gas, till his payday tomorrow. He's like"wow" look who's giving me money, lol"

Has anyone been in a similiar situation?

Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
(female)

daph10 HB User
Re: Part-time work, while waiting for SSD answer

I am waiting on a an Appeal since Jan08. In the meantime my lawyer told me to file a new claim. I was awarded ssdi on that claim and started collecting in July08. I just had my disability suspended cause I went to wowrk in Feb 08 after filing new claim in Jan08. I had to do whatever I could no income since May 05.
I am now fighting to get it back since I only work 30 hrs a month and no more than 4hrs when I go in. I am lucky my friend gave me a job when I was forced to quit my 23 yr airline job in May 05. The ss office lady was nice and said she would take care of all this for me, and then when I called to see what was taking so long, she said it went to quality review.
So for trying to go to work , since not working from 05 til 08, I am being penalized. It is very sad. I tried todo a full time job and could not. I am so scared I will have to do this all over again.
So I know your pain very well. Goodluck Diane

Old 05-21-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Go to the Social Security Administration Website . It clearly states that a person may work , if it is not SGA> Under the income amount considered by Social Security . You need to be very careful how much income you make a month. If it goes over the SGA, the Social Security will find a person not disabled and able to work , gainfully. Each year the amount increases about $50 .
I worked very min. while awaiting a claim . It was below the SGA amount. Not only is Social Security looking at the income requirements, they are looking at daily living activites, medication effects, daily functioining, social skills, adaptive functioning, mental functioning, normal everyday stressors, ect.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
(female)

armyofone0508 HB User

i worked all during my claim. while it was in process, i worked about 15 hours a week. then once i was awarded SSI till SSDI kicks in I went to 5 hours a week. I can understand that.

Closed Thread