It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
(female)

circlej2000 HB User
do i have to pay back unemployment benefits if i am approved for ssdi

do i have to pay back unemployment benefits if i am approved for ssdi

Old 07-19-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Re: do i have to pay back unemployment benefits if i am approved for ssdi

I do not know if different states have different rules, however, in California, I did not have to.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

I'm a little confused. Unemployment benefits are for those who are able to work but can't find a job. SSDI is for those who are unable to work. If you get unemployment benefits, how can you also qualify for SSDI? I'm sorry, I must be a little thick. Can someone explain this to me? I don't want to give wrong advice or information. Thanks!

Emily

Old 07-20-2009, 01:10 PM   #4
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAtlas View Post
I'm a little confused. Unemployment benefits are for those who are able to work but can't find a job. SSDI is for those who are unable to work. If you get unemployment benefits, how can you also qualify for SSDI? I'm sorry, I must be a little thick. Can someone explain this to me? I don't want to give wrong advice or information. Thanks!

Emily
You are correct > In my case I was working very P/T . at one point . I tried going back to work , and was so happy when I got a job. it did not last too long though. It made things worse when I had lost the job. I filed for unemployment, and recieved benifits for a certain time period , meanwhile , I became clinically depressed , among other things. After the unemployment ran out, I had to go on welfare for a brief time period , and collected food stamps as well. My son was on SSI .
At that time I filed a claim through Social Security, I continued to sprial down . The claim was first denied, and was won on the reconsideration level. I was not working enough HRs , to affect the SS , SGA, + I did not have to pay back any unemployment income. However, with the welfare , YES that was paid back.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:15 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

You may have to, or of the SSA is aware you got unemployment they may deduct it from the first lump sum they pay you. Since Unemployment is only for those able to work they can make you re-pay it if you are later found to be disabled. The reason being is that, in theory, you were not unemployed but able - you were unemployed due to being disabled.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineAZ View Post
You may have to, or of the SSA is aware you got unemployment they may deduct it from the first lump sum they pay you. Since Unemployment is only for those able to work they can make you re-pay it if you are later found to be disabled. The reason being is that, in theory, you were not unemployed but able - you were unemployed due to being disabled.
Perhaps, However, it all depends if it work would fall under the SGA or not . If it is over the SGA in the first place , even if she is not working anymore, and collecting benifits this could have a inpact on the decision on her claim. Depending on why she had lost her job, how much she was workinf to be considered SGA , all this SSA looks at too.

Closed Thread