It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #1
(female)

sbella68 HB User
SSD Mental Exam Appt-What should I expect?

Hi, I have a Mental Exam on a Sunday(I called Dr's office, and they confirmed it's correct). My HB was also sent a copy of my appt letter to remind me of my appointment, just recieved yesterday. A couple of weeks ago I had an SSD Internist DR appt, while he was examing my stomach I can of laughed but with pain, I hadn't taken my meds because I drove there and feel drowsy, he asked if I was in pain alot. When he got his little tool, to bump my knee, I couldn't help but laugh a little and say it hurts when he touched it. Then he asked if I've had a Mental exam, I said no.
Dr's questions leaned more towards my pain, I told him the pain is daily, especially when under stress and have difficulty remembering things.

Do you all think because I knd laughed a little during the exam, due to pain, he thought maybe I was crazy or something, I did feel a little spacy that day. I have never laughed during an exam.

I do have Depression as one of my symtoms due to chronic pain, the ALJ judge did say my illness (Lupus,Fibro) would cause the pain I have, which I would need to lay down in my car during break times while working, my pain description was credible and DR at hearing had agreed, then later in Letter of denial, judge stated I exagerrated my symptoms.
That's ridicoulous, I described how my pains affect my sitting and standing and gave examples too.
Oh, one quick note, when I recieved the Appt ltr yesterday, I called the Disability worker because I misread it and thought it was for same inernist exam, she kind of lowered her voice and said its a Mental exam, I felt dumb because I had read the letter and tottaly missed that part.
Please, can anyone please let me know what happens during a Mental Exam?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2009, 08:25 AM   #2
(female)

sue 5678 HB User
Re: SSD Mental Exam Appt-What should I expect?

During a mental exam, they will ask you questions like: "do you know what day it is?" do you know who our president is"? "can you count backwards by 2's "? That sort of stuff, they will also ask you questions about your depression, etc. and how much pain you live with daily. and how your mentalilty affects your ability to work.I hope this has helped you, i had to go through the same thing, it was not easy, and they sure did ask alot of questions, i was just honest with them i couldn't help but to cry during some of the questions. Good luck I hope all works out for you.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:40 AM   #3
(male)

pitcherred HB User

- unfortunately, by the mere fact you are able to participate coherently in this forum, you will be denied. Its routine for even medical conditions. Just so you know - i have been disabled for 17 years - and received no benefits ever. The truth is you cant live on what the benefits are - so you would be forced to work anyway. (ssi is not an answer to your problems) good luck to you - hope you have supportive family.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:45 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

sbella68, participating on this forum doesn't affect anything. I particpated on here long before being approved.

The SS doctor I met was worthless as a doctor. In fact, his comments stated that they should rule out the very illness my son had already been diagnosed with. This from one man giving a questionaire to my son, then seeing him for 10 minutes. Luckily my son was already seeing 3 professionals trained to recognize his problems, and already working on helping him.

It's always best to have doctor reports from doctors you see regularly. Their reports will outweigh the SS doctors who only see you once for a brief moment. They will recognize the coping mechanisms or inappropriate responses we may have (such as your laughing when hurting, some people laugh when nervous) and can make note of it in their statements. Keep trying. If you don't try, you have no chance of getting any benefits. Depending on how much money you earned during your working years, you may or may not be able to live on SS, but $674 or more each month is always welcome.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:10 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Please know that participating in this type of forum doesn't mean you would not meet the mental health criteria. Every diagnosis has different criteria so they'll be looking at whatever is specific to your condition. Thus someone with a diagnosis of schizophrenia would be expected to give different answers/act differently then someone being seen for depression or anxiety. They are only looking for incoherence when the condition would involve incoherence (again, someone with serious schizophrenia at a level in which they are not in touch with reality at all times - as an example). So just tell the truth and make sure you relay to them how your diagnosis, and the associated symptoms, limit your ability to function (in what ways and to what degree).

And you can live on SS. SS is not meat to replace 100% of your earnings - just a portion. **** my case I may have a combination of SS and the Long Term Disability provided by my employer along with a personal individual disability policy I purchased eons ago (never thinking I'd have to use it)}.

SS is, unfortunately, often denied on initial application. You should pursue appeals as long as you remain unable to work. Do you have an SS attorney? You can consider seeking one out if you want someone to advocate for you in this process. Just make sure to get one who solely does disability law (may do SS along with other forms of disability income).

Old 08-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #6
(female)

sbella68 HB User

Thank you all for the responses, I already feel nervous just thinking about the appointment. I do have a Disability Lawyer, but he hasn't even contacted me re: this appt. My first SSD aplication is at the Federal level, currently waiting for decision.

Pitcherred-Just so you know, I applied for SSD, not SSI, I have earned my 40 credits, through working. SSI is not an answer to my problems, but due my health, havin some money that I paid into would greatly help. Thanks anyways for your opinion.

sbella

Closed Thread