It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2009, 08:07 PM   #1
(female)

sue 5678 HB User
Does every one get back pay once approved for disability?

I just recently got approved for dissability, i still have'nt recieved my first benifit check, but i got a call to day from govt. asking me questions about vehicles, house payment my husbands check stubs?? the lady basically told me that, it was to see if i qualify for a ssdi payment for the 5 mths that i was applying for dissability. I asked her if it was for my back pay she said yes.. what does this all mean? is it just routine, or should i just forget about getting back pay..?

Old 08-14-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
(female)

armyofone0508 HB User
Re: Does every one get back pay once approved for disability?

they don't pay you the first 5 months for ssdi. now, for ssi, they will pay you the month after you apply. for instance, i applied in january. february was my approval month. i was approved in april, so at the end of april i got a backpay for march and april for ssi. august started my regular ssdi benefits, but i was receiving the ssi up until then. make sense? they would have asked about all the other stuff..financial, that is, in the initial interview.
Anxiety

Meds:
Adderall XR, 30mg/2x a day

My sweet baby boy was born: July 12, 2010
~*RJ*~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User

The judge will determine when you became disabled.

You will get a letter by mail stating your disabled date.

Since you have been approved,
If you call your local social security office or the 1-800# they will answer all the questions you are asking.

Congratulations winning your benefits you deserve.

BeHappy2

Old 08-15-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue 5678 View Post
I just recently got approved for dissability, i still have'nt recieved my first benifit check, but i got a call to day from govt. asking me questions about vehicles, house payment my husbands check stubs?? the lady basically told me that, it was to see if i qualify for a ssdi payment for the 5 mths that i was applying for dissability. I asked her if it was for my back pay she said yes.. what does this all mean? is it just routine, or should i just forget about getting back pay..?
Congradulations getting approved . I do however, find it a little odd that they would be calling you ? Usually they will mail out an apointment letter requesting you to go in your local Social Security Office, and have in the letter what to bring with you , all those papers , with you to the appointment.
IMO, if the lady was aking you those type of questions , it was for SSI. Not SSDI. Those are 2 separate programs. SSI is the program that needs this type of information, not SSDI. SSI is a income based program , and requries a person to meet certain income guidelines and is strict about this . That is why she was asking about all your personal , financial , information, including your husbands.
SSDI is not an income based program, however in order to recieve SSDI the individual needs to have enough work credits that has paid into Social Security throughout the years to qualify them for SSDI. SSDI does not look at your assests. SSI does. The bad thing about SSI is when a person dies and is on SSI everything else goes to the government> The person loses everything. If there is anything left of value. A house, propperty , cars and so on.
If you get any backpay for SSI it will be paid to you in installments, for SSI.

Last edited by mscat40; 08-15-2009 at 04:42 PM.

Closed Thread