It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
(female)

jeninslc HB User
Question Receiving SSDI - questions about children's benefits.

I have recently begun receiving benefits for my two children after being awarded SSDI. I have some questions.

1. Saving for them: I plan on saving alot of their money. They also received large backpay checks and I wanted to start a good college fund for them. I currently have $1,500 for each of them in CD's and wanted to contribute $1,000 to a 529 plan and then use $1-2,000 in a general savings account. I am wondering if children of SSDI recipients are receiving SSI, or SSDI under their parent. I believe if you receive SSI, you should only have $2K in savings. Is this applicable to children of parents with SSDI? I want to make sure I don't lose benefits, but since my children have no financial security, or college funds set up (besides the CD's, I just set up), I also want to make sure I am preparing for the future.

2. Allocating the money: Right now, I use my own checking account. They have separate savings accounts and CD accounts. I also keep a spreadsheet of all expenses related to them. Expenses for each child, expenses for both children, family expenses (bills, etc), and food bills. Some of these are paid on our CC, Some are paid by my husbands checking, and most are paid from my checking. Is there a better system? I am so paranoid about making sure that I show that I am using the money responsibly.

3. Spending questions: As long as I spend the money on things for the children, does the expense qualify? For example, I recently bought my daughter some new bedding and she does need some bedroom furniture. Would this qualify?

Anyone with experience in this matter, please respond! Thanks!

Last edited by jeninslc; 09-05-2009 at 09:56 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
(male)

Remmers HB User
Re: Receiving SSDI - questions about children's benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninslc View Post
I have recently begun receiving benefits for my two children after being awarded SSDI. I have some questions.

1. Saving for them: I plan on saving alot of their money. They also received large backpay checks and I wanted to start a good college fund for them. I currently have $1,500 for each of them in CD's and wanted to contribute $1,000 to a 529 plan and then use $1-2,000 in a general savings account. I am wondering if children of SSDI recipients are receiving SSI, or SSDI under their parent. I believe if you receive SSI, you should only have $2K in savings. Is this applicable to children of parents with SSDI? I want to make sure I don't lose benefits, but since my children have no financial security, or college funds set up (besides the CD's, I just set up), I also want to make sure I am preparing for the future.

2. Allocating the money: Right now, I use my own checking account. They have separate savings accounts and CD accounts. I also keep a spreadsheet of all expenses related to them. Expenses for each child, expenses for both children, family expenses (bills, etc), and food bills. Some of these are paid on our CC, Some are paid by my husbands checking, and most are paid from my checking. Is there a better system? I am so paranoid about making sure that I show that I am using the money responsibly.

Anyone with experience in this matter, please respond! Thanks!
First congratulations on getting your ssdi, as far as what i have read, since you are receiving ssdi you do not have to have a detailed record of what you spend the money on per say.

I have also read that you cant have more then 3,000 in your account if it is a joint account, 2,000 if it is a single account.

As for investments, that is a great question? I would think that they would be encouraging you to safe for your childs future.

It is a different ball game, if the child was the one disabled.

I am sure someone will be able to give more answers, our you could go to the ssi web site.

God bless you and your family

Rich

Old 09-05-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User

Good answers Remmers,

i can't answer much for the children's part. I'm sure you will get reply posts on questions.

It also will be best for you to keep up on all of this because social security does change rules from time to time and all information SSD.gov is very helpful posting them.

Congratulations on your approval to recieve your benefits you deserve.

Wish you well
BeHappy2

Old 09-05-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Congrats on being awarded benefits! I will try to help as best I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninslc View Post

It depends on whether you've been awarded SSI or SSDI. A lot of posters use the terms interchangeably (and incorrectly). Simply put, SSI provides extra money for eligible low-income people. Applicant’s resources (cash and savings) cannot exceed $2,000 for an individual and $3,000 for a couple. If one thinks about it, this makes perfect sense....SS isn't going to provide "extra" money for low income people, if one has a lot of savings or assets.

However, SSDI is what I refer to as "regular" SS disability. SS refers to SSDI as "social security disability insurance." There are no income or asset restrictions with SSDI. For example, you can be a millionaire and receive SSDI or your spouse can be a millionaire.

There is a limit (per family) that one can draw from SS, however. There is also a limit children can draw...It's a % of the parents award. Any monies paid to the children are split exactly even among them. When a child turns 18, payments stop (to that child) and the total amt is then split among the remaining children who are under 18. Children can draw money while 18 if they are still in high school.

Quote:
Whatever system works for you. I don't think there is any "preferred" system.

Quote:
3. Spending questions: As long as I spend the money on things for the children, does the expense qualify? For example, I recently bought my daughter some new bedding and she does need some bedroom furniture. Would this qualify?
Yes. SS has a good explanation of this on their site. As a general rule, as long as the money is spent on the children's behalf, you are fine. SS is not going to come in and scrutinize all your spending. Many items that benefit the children, also benefit the entire family, so there is a unavoidable overlap.

Each year, SS will send you brief statement asking if you have "saved" any of the money (for the children) and if so, how much. If so, then you will need to list the amt and how saved. If not, then you simply say "no" and that is all that is required. It's a very fundamental auditing process. "Audit" may not even be the right word....More like "accountability."

In my case, I receive a check each month from SS (direct deposit) and then I receive a check for each child, also direct deposit. In order to avoid having to report the savings, I spend all the money on the children's behalf, and then use my own money (from spouses job) on savings for the children.

Hope this helps and please let me know if I can help further.

Regards,

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 09-05-2009 at 07:29 PM.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:41 PM   #5
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

SSDI is the only social security disability program that I am aware of that children recieve a portion of income off their parents , when the parent is disabled. AND also gives backpay out to the children.
EX , is correct, you do not have to worry about the income on SSDI. However, you will fill out a income report each year about where the money is or was saved , on behalf of your childrens needs. It is one form that can be done online now. It is more about if their is any income saved for the children.
I , being a single parent , can't save much . SO it is different for me and my childs needs.
Before I was approved for SSDI my child was on SSI . He is disabled. WHen I got SSDI it was automatically cut off for my son, and he was placed on my record. Since he is disabled , he will be can be in school until age 21 . I will however, reapply for him once he turns 18 , for SSI. His disabilites are lifelong.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:41 PM   #6
(female)

Ab75 HB User

I think you can only have 2000.00 in the bank.I would put extra money under a grandparent or another trusted close relative etc. I would never trust the government to take away your benefits if you make an error.I would call a free legal service like prairie state etc. for further information. You are allowed to pay your bils rent etc. with the money for your kids.After all you have to keep a roof over there head.My x husbands father invested money once of 5000.00.The bank was taking over and he lost the college money for his son my x. Be careful where you invest the money.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:51 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

My son's money goes into a savings account with me as the custodial parent. He gets half of my SSDI. I recently got the letter asking how the past year of payments were spent. I advised them all is put into his savings account and I withdraw money when needed. I use for his tutor, when he needs clothes etc. That is what it is for, his care. I was advised it will end when he is 18 and graduates high school. Hope that is true. He is 18 this coming January 2012 but graduates in June 2012. We had no college fund for him either. He has some savings bonds he can cash in for college. I did submit his form online which was much easier. You are sure they get it and it is not lost in the mail or anything.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:11 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

I think if you move a child's SSI money into a Grandparent's name that is fraud and you run the riskk of losing your benefits.

Just an FYI... If it is SSI you can lose your benefits!

If the money is from SSDI there isn't an income limit so there isn't a problem. I do not have to account to anyone (but myself) the SSID $ my children receive.

Pup

Old 07-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #9
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupcake View Post
I think if you move a child's SSI money into a Grandparent's name that is fraud and you run the riskk of losing your benefits.

Just an FYI... If it is SSI you can lose your benefits!

If the money is from SSDI there isn't an income limit so there isn't a problem. I do not have to account to anyone (but myself) the SSID $ my children receive.

Pup
It is fraud . Which means that when you are caught you could be looking at jail time and pay all that money back. SSI- It is not worth the risk.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Hessie: Child dependent SSDI ends at 18 or HS graduation, whichever occurs later (but not past 19). When your child turns 18 SS may send you a request for proof that the child is still enrolled in HS and ask for anticipated graduation date. To avoid overpayment notify SS as soon as he graduates.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineAZ View Post
Hessie: Child dependent SSDI ends at 18 or HS graduation, whichever occurs later (but not past 19). When your child turns 18 SS may send you a request for proof that the child is still enrolled in HS and ask for anticipated graduation date. To avoid overpayment notify SS as soon as he graduates.
Thanks. I had already gotten a letter when he turned 17 asking if he was still in school or married etc. I assume he will get again. Maybe I will send them a letter early next year giving his graduation date.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:35 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I would wait for them to contact you. And if you don't hear from them by 60 days before graduation date then contact them. SS may be confused by your note if it's too early. I'm betting they can't enter an end date in the system until 30-60 days before the date. I don't think they prorate so if he graduates 6/4/11 the last payment will be received in June for May benefits and no benefits due in June.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:20 PM   #13
(female)

Spine , I am in a simalar situation with my son. I did get a letter about hos grauation date and they also sent the teacher a form to fill out. He can go to school until age 22. Last Friday I dropped a letter off to social security about his next teacher and when his shool begans. My son will be 18 in August. He is disabled too. I hope he can at least have benefits off my record until his own SSI goes though.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

It's different when a child is disabled. When the dependent child is not disabled the limit is 18 or HS graduation but no later than 19.

The Following User Says Thank You to SpineAZ For This Useful Post:
mscat40 (07-21-2011)
Old 07-21-2011, 09:42 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineAZ View Post
I would wait for them to contact you. And if you don't hear from them by 60 days before graduation date then contact them. SS may be confused by your note if it's too early. I'm betting they can't enter an end date in the system until 30-60 days before the date. I don't think they prorate so if he graduates 6/4/11 the last payment will be received in June for May benefits and no benefits due in June.
You make a good point. When I questioned the back pay the automatically stopped mine and my son's checks for months even though they already had the money. So better to leave good enough alone. Will do a month before or will go in. Office is 10 minutes away. Thanks for the advice.

Closed Thread