It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
(female)

sosickofthis HB User
ssdi and/or ssi

what is the income limits to get ssi, i qualify and am approved for disability and the ssa wants me to come on tomorrow and discuss ssi also. i am totally confused now.again...........

Old 09-08-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: ssdi and/or ssi

www.ssa.gov has many answers to questions about SSI and SSDI.

SSI provides monthly income to people who are age 65 or older, or are disabled, and have limited income and financial resources. Effective 01/2009 the SSI payment for an eligible individual is $674 per month and $1,011 per month for an eligible couple. If you are married, and only one person is eligible, a portion of your spouse's income may be counted. In addition, your financial resources (savings and assets you own) cannot exceed $2,000 ($3,000 if married). You can be eligible for SSI even if you have never worked in employment covered under Social Security.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2009, 07:20 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineAZ View Post

SSI provides monthly income to people who are age 65 or older, or are disabled, and have limited income and financial resources. Effective 01/2009 the SSI payment for an eligible individual is $674 per month and $1,011 per month for an eligible couple. If you are married, and only one person is eligible, a portion of your spouse's income may be counted. In addition, your financial resources (savings and assets you own) cannot exceed $2,000 ($3,000 if married). You can be eligible for SSI even if you have never worked in employment covered under Social Security.
Spine is correct. Let me say it another way just to help explain a bit....

Social Security benefits can be obtained through two programs; (1) Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or (2) Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Both SSDI and SSI have the same medical requirements. However, SSDI requires a certain amount of credit earned for prior work and the amount you are paid is dependent on how much you made while working. Both the applicant and the applicant's children can collect SSDI. The children's amt is based on how much the parent is paid.

SSI is based solely on financial need, regardless of prior work. SSI counts total family income and assets in determining one's eligibility, as explained by Spine.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ex

Old 09-09-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
(female)

sosickofthis HB User

i went down there this morning, my income right now is unemployement and child support. she said i would qualify for a little SSI but she coudn't tell me how much yet, i would get a letter. but i have to pay back the SSI backpay out of my SSDI backpay. thats where i get confused, are they giving it to me just so i can turn around and give it back. how long now til i get any money. they couldn't tell me. but i did sign up for direct deposit while i was there.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosickofthis View Post
i went down there this morning, my income right now is unemployement and child support. she said i would qualify for a little SSI but she coudn't tell me how much yet, i would get a letter. but i have to pay back the SSI backpay out of my SSDI backpay. thats where i get confused, are they giving it to me just so i can turn around and give it back. how long now til i get any money. they couldn't tell me. but i did sign up for direct deposit while i was there.
When you went down to the SS , were you given a choice of what program you wanted? SSI , or SSDI? Or are you eligible for both? Sometimes a disabled individual can have both if the SSDI payment is low enough.
I would have asked the SS, about the backpay, and paying it back through your SSDI . I know nothing about that. That right there would have me personally thinking about nOT wanting any SSI if it were just not a lot , and then need to pay the backpay amount back , which could be a lot of $ then what a monthly SSI check will be . Could you wait until you knew how much SSI you would be recieving?
SSI is different in every State. CA SSI amount for disabled individuals is greater then $675 a month, because the State of CA adds income to that base amount . Here it is up to $800.00 a month.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:59 AM   #6
(female)

sosickofthis HB User

i wasn't given a choice, the ssi is 695 my ssdi with me and my 2 boys will be about 1181. but i don't qualify for the full ssi amount for 12/08 thru 04/09. 04/09 is when my disbility will start. and i'll get back pay for 04/09 till now on disability.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:01 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

When you start getting SSDI and have already been receiving SSI, the back pay is used to pay back the SSI. You can't have both the full SSDI amount and the full SSI amount for a given month. It will eventually be a wash - whatever amount you should have been given for the month, is what you'll end up with. For example, say you received SSI for June, July, and August. Then you get SSDI which goes back to April. So, you would get the SSDI for each of the months, but now you've received both SSI and SSDI for June, July, and August. So they will take back the SSI amount. You get to keep the SSDI amount for each month. So, you were getting welfare (SSI), a government handout to cover expenses. But now your insurance kicks in (SSDI), and it pays the handout back so all you have in your possession is the insurance (SSDI) money.

If you get part SSI and part SSDI each month, I don't know how they calculate that.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
(female)

sosickofthis HB User

i haven't received anything yet. they said my ssdi will be paid from apr09 til now. the ssi will be for the time i filed (oct08) until apr09. my letter from the ALJ says i was determined disabled oct 08. SSA office says it will go back to when i filed dec08,(i went to the attorney oct08), i guess i'll have to wait for my next letter to know anything definite. they did say my stuff was sent to the payment processing center. any idea how long that can take.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #9
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

What I was told is , sometimes the SSDI amount is low enough for a indiviual to qualify for SSI too . I do not know how SS figure s this out though .
Also, it takes 2yrs to be eligible for Medicare under SSDI, for everyone. On SSI , your automaticlly recieve medicad/or medi cal insurance.
It makes sense that SSI would need to be paid back since this is a program for the financially needy , disabled individuals . SSDI is not, as explained by previous posters.

Closed Thread