It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2009, 06:38 AM   #1
(male)

Remmers HB User
Well a decision has been made

On a whim I called the office and spoke to the secretary of the Judge and she told Me that a decision has been made on the 9th(day after my hearing) and it is at the underwriters. I asked her if she could tell me if I would be happy or sad and she laughed and said it has to come in writing.

She said I should see the letter by the end of the month, this is going to drive me crazier then I am. Maybe I will go sit in the kitchen and sing coom by ya

Is it a good sign that the decision was made so soon??

I know i am analyzing this but what else can I do??

Old 09-16-2009, 07:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

gayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB User
Re: Well a decision has been made

Wow, what a quick decision. I hope that is a good sign.

I understand the waiting - my hearing was in June, and I haven't heard a thing. Let me know if singing in the kitchen helps. If it does, I will try it too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2009, 10:31 AM   #3
(female)

sosickofthis HB User

Since she laughed i would take that as a good sign. If she sounded somber i would be worried. But then again i wouldn't even take their word until i had letter in hand!!!!!!!!!!i was told i would be approved but i still climbed the walls until i received my letter.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:33 AM   #4
(male)

Remmers HB User

when they say it is at the underwriter's, what are they doing exactly?

Old 09-16-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
(female)

wd1976 HB User

Nice, it sounds like you heard what my girlfriend just heard..it's just a matter of getting the letter. Then the letters won't STOP! The SSA is famous for sending mounds of correspondence! Hooray for you! Dig out from under your bills and enjoy a steak or two!

Old 09-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #6
(female)

sosickofthis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmers View Post
basically preparing the "official" letter to send. And getting your info lined out if are approved.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Well a decision has been made

Remmers i enjoy your wonderful sense of Humor.

I don't know how they sleep at night , knowing what the decision is and not telling you. Rules, Rules and more Rules.

I still feel very positive reading all you've posted.
This waiting is just so very annoying isn't it? I know this just adds on stress and stress creates pain and such. SS should be able to tell your attorney if they don't want to tell you, but then again its Rules and Rules again.

I feel very confident , I'm praying you're letter comes as fast as mine did.
Oh by the way, Mine was in a very large Brown envelope and Approved.

Wish you Well
BeHappy2

Old 09-16-2009, 12:51 PM   #8
(female)

sosickofthis HB User

mine came in a regular white envelope, pretty thick, there were alot of pages. the address i believe was west virginia. it was a decision from the judge.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:09 PM   #9
(male)

Remmers HB User

I wonder if they still are using typewriters? Is it a good sign that she made a decision the day after my hearing? I remember reading some where that the longer it takes to make a decision, that it means there is a good chance that you wont be approved, because they have to come up with such detail reason's as to why you don't qualify?

Anyone know the word's to ring around a Rosie? After dinner i was going to go sit on the frt porch and sing it to the passing the car's

Old 09-16-2009, 04:00 PM   #10
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Here ya go Remmers I'll humor you.
Ring around the rosie's pocket full of posies , ashes . ashes , WE ALL FALL DOWN
I am a retired preschool teacher.

I would try calling the social security number too. BUTttt, they usually won't tell u anything over the phone . ANther thing to do , and is your best bet, is to go down to your local Social Security office in person, & talk to the person at the desk. It is a pain in the you know what, to have to go down there and wait, but, in person Social Security can pull up your info. quickly and tell u .
I did that, and fouund out I was approved, but then it went to a place to be looked over once again! Just to make certain Social Security did everything correctly , kind of like a audit .I was a nervous wreck as well, thinking that now i knew I was approved, but it could be overturned on a technical flaw DDS may have done . Fortunately it was fine , but the waiting part is the worst.
mscat

Last edited by mscat40; 09-16-2009 at 04:02 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
NElady (09-30-2011)
Old 09-16-2009, 07:54 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmers View Post

Is it a good sign that she made a decision the day after my hearing? I remember reading some where that the longer it takes to make a decision, that it means there is a good chance that you wont be approved, because they have to come up with such detail reason's as to why you don't qualify?
I don't think there is any "pattern", to how quickly a judge makes his/her decision. The judge will often take notes during a hearing, and then render a decision later....Maybe wants to "sleep" on it, look up some case law, or whatever. Some judges are more back logged then others. Some will announce a decision right on the spot, while others will not. A lot of it depends on the case itself, of course.

Once the Judge makes a decision, they pass the file to the underwriters and other processors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmers View Post

For regular insurance companies, the underwriter's job is to evaluate and classify risk. The underwriter does all the investigating into the applicant...Medical history, application questions, financial status, and etc.
The underwriter can reduce the amount of coverage, place exclusion riders, increase the rate, decrease the benefit period or even offer you a completely different policy. The other end of the spectrum is complete denial of coverage.

After your application is submitted (often through an insurance agent or broker), the home office underwriter reviews it. You may be issued coverage right away, or you may have to submit additional information or reports to help the underwriter determine whether you are an acceptable risk. You will be assigned one of three risk categories: the preferred risk, the standard risk, or the special risk (also known as substandard risk). The category to which you are assigned determines what kind of coverage you can buy and how much the coverage will cost.

In the Social Security office, the underwriter determines if one is indeed qualified....Has the applicant paid in enough, do they meet all the criteria, and etc. It's more or less a checks and balance procedure. If your case is with the underwriter, then that's a good sign, I think. But, it's not a guarantee.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ex

Old 08-06-2010, 10:24 AM   #12
(female)

Cabingirl555 HB User

Being a person with lots of patience (NOT!!!) I phoned the SS office yesterday, which was 5 wks. to the day that I was before the ALJ. She told me my file was with the "underwriters," and that the Judge had ruled 2 weeks ago. So, my hearing was July 3, the Judge ruled 3 wks after, and now it's with underwriters. I'm not sure what that means. Are the underwriters a good thing??? I'm 53, worked full time 31 years, severe fibro and depression since August 2007, which was my last date of employment . . . hmmmmm . . . I think the waiting period is simply adding to my anxiety level. I'm trying to move forward each day with a positive outlook and hoping for the best. Now, if I can only figure out just what these "underwriters" are doing with my file! lol

Old 08-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #13
(female)

msgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB User

cabingirl555- welcome to the forum !!
to help you understand things a little better in re of what is going on..
it isnt just you, everyone who has an alj hearing has their file go to the "underwriters" aka "decision writers" ..
first you have the hearing, then judge makes his decision. decision goes to the "writers" to be properly documented. once it is written, it goes back to the judge for him to proof read and make sure they did not make any mistakes on his ruling. if everything is correct, he signs it, then it is mailed out to you. if he finds errors, it goes back to the writers and is corrected, then back to judge for another proof read.. once the decision is written correctly without errors, he signs it and it is mailed...
the amount of time it takes to be written varies per office, depending on how backlogged the writers are, how well staffed the office is, etc...

Closed Thread