It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
(male)

blueskys4ever HB User
applying for ssdi

I am currently working, but I dont know how. (lol). Seriously though, have some problems with some failed spinal surgerys and just barely hanging on to a job. Between the pain and the long days I need to apply because I simply cannot do it anymore.

My question is...how long do I have to be out of work, to apply? And does anyone have any helpful information to send my way. Thank in advance.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: applying for ssdi

SSDI requires that you be out of work for 5 full months before you can get benefits. However, the process can take a very long time (sometimes years). Does your employer offer any Short Term Disability (STD) or Long Term Disability (LTD)benefits you can use while applying for SS? And there are some states in the US that have state based STD an these are CA, NY, NJ, HI, PR and RI.

Otherwise do you have any other resources you can depend on during your SSDI application and possible appeal process? Spousal income? Savings or investments?

I have been out of work for just about a year and have had 5 spinal surgeris in 17 years. I expect my LTD company will require I apply for SSDI and would estimate it will take me 2 years (with an attorney) to possibly finally be awarded SSDI. However much of the SSDI application and approval process depends on your condition, medical documentation, and what exactly it is that limits you from doing your job

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
(female)

armyofone0508 HB User

When I applied, I wasn't out of work. I was working like 16 hrs a week, but now it's cut down to 5.5 every week. They saw that I went from 40+ hrs and jumped dramatically down. It took me less than 3 months to get approved. I know that's not the case, but I got someone in the SS office who knew what she was doing and kept me informed. If you want things to be a bit faster, you should get your dr records and give them to SS yourself. Alot of times, drs don't fill them out in a timely fashion, making things harder on you. Always make sure in the questionaires to fill out how it is on your worst day...that's what they are looking for. And make sure to include every symptom....if you leave out something, they may say, okay, you can still do "job" and deny you. Even simple things like memory, concentration, motivation, are big...I have major problems with those and almost every job you need those. Anyhow, good luck!
Anxiety

Meds:
Adderall XR, 30mg/2x a day

My sweet baby boy was born: July 12, 2010
~*RJ*~

Old 02-25-2010, 10:32 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

True, you don't have to fully cease work fully, you can meet the 5 month waiting period with substantial decrease in income (see www.ssa.gov for allowable threshold). But if you reduce hours you'll have to have medical data to prove that was needed. The hard part for many people is surviving on reduced income (low enough for SS to see it as less than substantial gainful income) unless they live with family or have outside financial support.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:06 AM   #5
(male)

blueskys4ever HB User

I guess it will come down to how fast they terminate me, and then the wait will start. The only thing I can fall back on financially is a 401K. Have a son and daughter to also look after. Could maybe move in with parents for a while, but that will be a last resort. I appreciate the advice.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskys4ever View Post
I guess it will come down to how fast they terminate me, and then the wait will start. The only thing I can fall back on financially is a 401K. Have a son and daughter to also look after. Could maybe move in with parents for a while, but that will be a last resort. I appreciate the advice.
You can look at the SGA amounts in your state and see how much you can still make without having it affect your SSDI claim.

Closed Thread