It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
(female)

optimistic12 HB User
Disability Back Pay and Losing other Benefits

I will soon be getting my back pay from SSI and wanted to know what I should do with it? If I keep it, I will lose other benefits that currently are available to me. It seems that you can not save for a car or home because if you have a savings at all, you will not get the other benefits you need.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Disability Back Pay and Losing other Benefits

Welcome to Healthboards. This is a great site where many people with very diverse backgrounds all come together to help provide support and guidance to those in need. I hope you find your time here beneficial.

What benefits are your referring to...Gov't or private? Remember that regardless of whether you spend or save the money, it's still considered "income." We can discuss in more detail once you provide some more information.

Regards,

Ex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
(female)

armyofone0508 HB User

actually, i was told when i got my backpay that it's not counted in any government programs for 9 months since it's a one time large sum and they don't expect people to spend it right away...
Anxiety

Meds:
Adderall XR, 30mg/2x a day

My sweet baby boy was born: July 12, 2010
~*RJ*~

Old 03-04-2010, 08:39 AM   #4
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

I thought SSI backpay was given in increments , instead of a large sum of money. They use to give out large one lump of pay , but not anymore . SSDI still gives out lump sum og backpay though, but u do not have to worry about SSDI backpay. It is not considered or counted against you.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:43 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscat40 View Post
SSDI still gives out lump sum og backpay though, but u do not have to worry about SSDI backpay. It is not considered or counted against you.
That's correct that it's still a "lump" sum. It's also counted as current income on your 1040, but there are special rules. It's fully taxable, unless you fall under the limit.

Regards,

Ex

Closed Thread