It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2010, 11:11 AM   #1
(male)

dvchris HB User
Benefits in the UK & Mental Health

Hi all

In the UK, has anyone been awarded High-rate DLA or been put in Support group (highest rate) ESA for mental health problems?

Currently I get Mid-Rate care DLA and Work-related activity group ESA and wondered if I should appeal??

Old 04-21-2010, 06:52 AM   #2
(female)

Becci90 HB User
Re: Benefits in the UK & Mental Health

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvchris View Post
Currently I get Mid-Rate care DLA and Work-related activity group ESA and wondered if I should appeal??
I'd be very careful about appealing for DLA because they can take away the middle rate care if it's found that you don't need higher rate.

My other half's dad is on middle care & middle mobility...He is blind in one eye, very hard of hearing, recently had a heart attack, has had knee replacements & can hardly walk, so they're going to appeal as if you get high rate care then your care giver is entitled to extra benefits.

Speak to citizens advice bureau & ask them to help fill in the form, they are very good, & alot of people have found that once they use CAB they receive the benefits they are entitled to.

DLA is a horrible form to fill out, good luck if you do appeal.

I can't help you with the ESA though, I know very little about it. I think they try & put everyone in the work based category unless they really cannot work . ESA is the same as IB really, they've just split it into the two groups. As far as I know if you are able to work a shift or two a week then you'll be put into the work based group.

They're trying to save as much money as possible, by giving little to those that really need it unfortunately.

Hope I've helped.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
(male)

dvchris HB User

Hi there Becci, that's great - many thanks for the reply

I just feel sorry for all of the people on incapacity benefit who will be migrated over to ESA this/next year.. apparently they are so strict that 7 out of 10 will be found 'fit to work' and wont be able to get ESA!

The only reason I ask about the DLA, is somebody I was in hospital with got high rate care and even low rate mobility for the mental health problems, which weren't wildly difficult from mine!

Also I noticed in your post you said your OH's dad is on mid-rate mobility - but such a thing doesn't exist, it's simply low and high with the mobility component..

Old 04-21-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
(female)

Becci90 HB User

Lol, I ment lower rate mobility.
The way DLA works is odd. I think it can depend on who looks at the forms aswell, can be quite unfair.
I need to fill in my DLA forms myself but the way they word it makes it hard to answer most of the questions.... Scares me, & I get all confused.
Actually I've not heard of anyone getting one but not the other. I'm not sure with your condition how you'd answer the mobility questions, but if you get confused & wonder round then I'm pretty sure you should be getting mobility too.
I've got epilepsy & I know lots of others with epilepsy receive DLA. Some of them get high rate for both & some low rate for both. The ones that got high rate tend to be those who got help from cab, & the majority of them appealed after being refused.
I was always told to fill in the forms an a bad day.

If you:
need help with things such as washing, dressing, eating, getting to and using the toilet, or communicating your needs
need supervision to avoid you putting yourself or others in substantial danger
need someone with you when you are on dialysis
or be unable to prepare a cooked main meal for yourself then your entitled to the care component.
You don't need to have these problems every day though.
To get higher rate you must need help on numerous occasions throughout the day.
If you get confused sometimes & need assistance outdoors then you should get mobility too. You don't actually have to have assistance to get the benefit though.

There's loads of help groups for filling out DLA though, just have a browse online. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links but try looking up 'rights to benefits' on google. Hope it helps.

Blimey, sorry about the essay

Old 07-17-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
(female)

jacq42 HB Userjacq42 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvchris View Post
Hi all

In the UK, has anyone been awarded High-rate DLA or been put in Support group (highest rate) ESA for mental health problems?

Hi there I get high rate mobility middle care DLA and I've just been put into the work related group,by rights,according to the DWP guides I should be in the support group but there's no way am I appealing,even though success rate is high I just can't deal with the stress of it all.
I'm hoping that when I go for one of these interviews they can actually see how debilitating my conditions are,as you can see I have long term conditions(that's if it says below this post),I can't swallow food or even hold a pencil, and this is before I inform them of yet another diagnosis I even have a support worker who bathes me daily and around £10,000 worth of adaptations carried out inside and out of my home.
And don't get me started on mental health, I have massive social phobias so I probably either have numerous anxiety attacks or a seizure during the interview.
Strange though they did not tell me how many points I scored or send me for a medical
Take care and be very cautious when appealing
Jacq

Closed Thread