It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
(female)

angel880 HB User
Can ssi office access my bank account info?

Ok so here it is I have spine disease and been out of work for three years without help or income. I recently was awarded my ssdi after a three year battle. I have sold a few items online in order to survive (I mean like 25-100.00 worth every few months)......I have not recieved a check yet but I am worried about this as I would like to continue selling occassionally if for nothing else but a hobby. I am giving them my bank account and routing number does that give them full access to every thing I purchase using my bank account or any deposits or does that just allow them direct deposit my ssdi check? I don't mind telling them about items I sell now that I am recieving (well will be) but I am worried about them seeing any undeclared deposits before I won the case.....I mean how did they expect me to live....sell crack? I am sure others have had this question just because we all have to live somehow until the decision is made....just don't want to be shady or mess it up now that I have won. If I have to I will stop selling thanks

Last edited by angel880; 05-10-2010 at 02:22 PM.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User
Re: Can ssi office access my bank account info?

No, it's only for the depost.

They can't view your account with just the numbers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
(female)

jen2806 HB User

To answer your question more completely, SSDI (which is what I am on) is not so picky as to what other income you bring in the way SSI is (kinda like welfare for disabled people). From what my worker told me, I can receive up to 1000.00 of income extra per month in addition to my SSDI checks. (I know info from SSDI is not always right on..so don't take my word for it). I have 9 months to actually make as much as I want to, in order to see if going back to work and dropping SSDI may work for me. In my case I can't work period, but it's nice to know this info. She also told me after 9 months, they would deduct anything over 1000.00 per month from my SSDI checks.

From what I hear, it's possible SS may perform an early review of your illness/handicap if they see you are working excessively and no longer need SSDI income. I do know many on SSDI that work only 10-20 hours a week at home, or at a brick and mortar that have for years with little to no issues at review time. I used to work from home when I lived in Florida, and met many people online who were on SSDI. In my honest opinion (off the record) selling the scant item online for a couple hundred extra per month won't bring you any notice. And no, they can't see your bank activity. However, you should probably make it a point to find out how and when to report the extra income.

You will want to call SSecurity up directly to confirm this..

HTH- Jen

Last edited by jen2806; 05-11-2010 at 09:26 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 05-11-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
(female)

angel880 HB User

thanks guys I will have to check in with my lawyer or ssdi on that once it is all final......looking forward to anyone elses take on this as well. best of luck to you all

Closed Thread