It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
(female)

jen2806 HB User
Question SSI/SSDI backpay questions

Hi-

I was awarded fully favorable about a month ago. I received my award letter telling me I'd get 30K in Disability back pay (after deducting lawyer fee of course) and my first monthly check will be deposited into my account on the 26th of this month.

I have also an SSI application in process too, of which I am eligible for about 140.00 extra per month, since my SSD is lower than the maximum SSI payout. So I will get both. My question is, I have not received, obviously, a red cent as of yet from SSI, nor did I ever get State Disability, Work Comp or any General Relief during the years for which I have been disabled. So why, then, is SSI telling me my 30K backpay check for disability portion is being held to pay back money SSI may have given me?

I spoke to my SSD representative today, and she said I would not get my SSD backpay until SSI was reimbursed for anything they may have given me to date. I told her I have not received a dime, and the paperwork on SSI's side is still in process. I'm actually going to get my 589.00 monthly disability check first before any SSI (SSI had misplaced my paperwork but it was found apparently...which is why SSD is kicking in first due to the delay).

I mean, she said the Backpay check was ready, but was placed on hold, and to be on hold till SSI took about 10K from it?! I asked why, and she said to pay back SSI, and I told her Ma'm I have never received a dime from them, and when I called my SSI rep who is handling the case, he said the paperwork is not even completed yet. She pushed me through to him and I left a message asking him to call me back to explain exactly how SSI had the right to take 10K from my SSD backpay, when no one has paid me anything lol.

Can anyone make sense of this? I know that in most cases SSI pays out first, even months before SSD, and that yes, when SSD finally kicks in SSI is entitled to get the difference back out of your SSD backpay check. But that isn't the case for me. I have retro backpay going back to Nov of 05. This just doesn't make sense, and I can't get any clear answers.

Thanks!

Last edited by jen2806; 05-13-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
(female)

armyofone0508 HB User
Re: SSI/SSDI backpay questions

I don't get why you have to pay back SSI? I got SSI from Feb 09-July09, then started getting SSDI in Aug 09. I know that you're going to get them both, but you shouldn't be having to pay anything of it. Calling's useless when it comes to them, though. I've always had to go down to the office. Sorry they're giving you the run around.
Anxiety

Meds:
Adderall XR, 30mg/2x a day

My sweet baby boy was born: July 12, 2010
~*RJ*~

Old 05-15-2010, 06:49 AM   #3
(female)

jen2806 HB User
Re: SSI/SSDI backpay questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyofone0508 View Post
I don't get why you have to pay back SSI? I got SSI from Feb 09-July09, then started getting SSDI in Aug 09. I know that you're going to get them both, but you shouldn't be having to pay anything of it. Calling's useless when it comes to them, though. I've always had to go down to the office. Sorry they're giving you the run around.

Yeah, I think my SSDI rep was mistaken. She had to be because I have not been paid anything. She was saying whatever backpay SSI gives me will be deducted out of my SSDI backpay when it's finally released as well. I was like? Um...that doesn't make sense, because the tiny bit extra I will receive from SSI is in addition to the SSDI I would have gotten retro, not in replacement for it. I can totally see if I had been getting SSI for the full amount of what my SSDI portion would have been until monthly SSDI checks kicked in, having to pay it back, but that's not the case.

Anyhow, I am just thinking maybe I should have waived the SSI application, in lieu of SSDI only. Sounds like SSI is a pain and makes it take longer to get your SSDI backpay.

Thanks

Last edited by jen2806; 05-15-2010 at 06:51 AM.

Closed Thread