It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
(male)

AbMigraineMan HB User
Going nuts waiting for Judge's Decision

Fairly new to this board, but I've been reading other posts for a while. I'm going nuts and feel the need to rant about this whole process.

I have been unable to work since 2006 due to complications of type 2 diabetes(neuropathy, gastroparesis, drug side effects), a neurological problem(Abdominal Migraines), and Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Disthymic disorder. I'm taking like nine different prescriptions every day.

I left my job and went on LTD in 2006, filed for SSDI but then stupidly gave up after the initial denial phase(big mistake, I know. Everyone was telling me I should try going back to work). I convinced myself maybe I could go back to working, so I went off LTD in early 2007 and tried working from home in spring of that year at a different company that did not offer LTD benefits(long story). I immediately began getting sick again, and had to leave the job in fall 20007.

I then re-applied for SSDI in November of 2007, got denied in Feb of 08 at which point I got smart and hired an attorney who specializes in SSDI(the best decision I have made, got a very prominent SSDI attorney to agree to take my case), over the objections of family members who told me I should just go back to work(nice, huh?). I was denied in reconsideration(which my attorney said she was surprised at this due to my medical documentation) later in the year and then waited like everyone else for my hearing with an ALJ. Had I not tried going back to work and hired an attorney right off I would have continued to receive LTD benefits while pursuing my case. I later read that this is a very common mistake people make, and it ended up costing me quite a bit of money, but what can I do? Live and learn I guess. I've been without income since then and lost my car and everything but the shirt off my back.

So I finally had my hearing in early July. My hearing only lasted about 10-15 minutes. I was asked very few questions. The judge had obviously reviewed my extensive medical records prior to the hearing. He said he didn't see the point of prolonging his decision based on the amount of medical records I had. To be honest the whole hearing is like a hazy memory, as I was in full panic mode at the time.

During the hearing they passed around a sheet which was signed by the judge, the vocational adviser, my attorney and myself. I was in such a daze I had no idea what i was I was signing. My attorney pointed to the date when I was signing but I was so overwhelmed by the pressure of the situation that I didn't even notice.

After we walked out my attorney said it meant I had actually won my case and the paper was an agreement to amend my date of disability as 6/1/08, which meant I was getting 2 years of back benefits! I asked if this was a definite final decision and she said yes, we just have to wait for the judge to write up his decision before the wheels of the SSA are set into motion.

Since then I have been a slave to the daily mail delivery, hoping to see that letter with the written decision. I am also living in fear that my decision will be 'flagged' by the DQB who will then overturn the ALJ and remand it back to the ALJ or who knows what, maybe even deny me altogether, although my attorney said it's highly unlikely that would happen. With my luck I'll be the one flagged.

Having an anxiety disorder only exacerbates my fear of something going wrong. I know there are many people on hear who have had to wait much longer than I and have had a much harder time of it winning their SSDI benefits and I feel for all of you. I don't want to come across as whiny, I'm just frustrated at how drawn out everything in this process is! Why does this have to be so difficult, it's absolute torture, since many of us suffer from emotional issues that were partly or chiefly responsible for trying to get on SSDI in the first place?!?

Although it's been a comfort reading everyone's experiences in this process on this forum, its also absolutely frustrating that there is no consistency whatsoever as far as how long it takes to set things into motion. Everyone is all over the map as far as how long it takes. I am trying my best to cope. Sorry for the long rant but I need to get this off my chest.

I am going to continue becoming unglued until i see something on actual paper confirming what took place at the hearing. Aaaaaaarrrrgggghhh!

Last edited by AbMigraineMan; 07-29-2010 at 11:51 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User
Re: Going nuts waiting for Judge's Decision

hey i K N O W what you mean, as do most of us. i too am waiting for that illusive piece of paper from the government. i too had my hearing earlier this month and was greatful for the otr favorable-but it won't seem real until i see it in black n white, or in my bank account(direct deposit) but you are so right; there simply is no rhyme or reason to any of this ssdi process, especially after reading so many threads from people being denied with serious medical issues, its just down right scary and to say its unfair is an oxymoron......but the most stressful part is over....right?

Old 07-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
(male)

AbMigraineMan HB User

I HOPE the most stressful part is over, but the worrywart in my keeps focusing on anything could go wrong. I was really grateful and happy the first week, even allowing myself to be a bit celebratory...but then that kind of wore off and I started playing mind games. I know I need to be patient. I really am trying my best. It's just been such a long and difficult battle since first I became too ill to work in late 2005-early 2006. I'm glad this forum exists so others understand exactly what I'm going through, since nobody else really does unless they have gone through it themselves. I met one man who has MS and it took him 11 years to get his SSDI! That is just criminal to my way of thinking. He said he got an apology from the judge when he finally won his case, but that's not compensation for all the pain and suffering he was put through by this broken system.

Last edited by AbMigraineMan; 07-29-2010 at 01:09 PM.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
(female)

nicki447 HB Usernicki447 HB Usernicki447 HB Usernicki447 HB Usernicki447 HB Usernicki447 HB User

I was denied by the ALJ, posted about that. just wanted you to know we do understand. My claim is at the appeals council now but could be as much as three years for it to be reviewed/remanded, etc. Its torture, truly and this country should be outraged.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
(male)

AbMigraineMan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishi View Post
I was denied by the ALJ, posted about that. just wanted you to know we do understand. My claim is at the appeals council now but could be as much as three years for it to be reviewed/remanded, etc. Its torture, truly and this country should be outraged.
Thanks, wishi, it is comforting to know there are others who have gone through this process but of course it is also a bit unsettling. It's pretty obvious our current system is broken. I was lucky in two areas; I had a the services of a top flight attorney who specializes in SSDI, and the judge seemed to be very sympathetic and was obviously familiar with my case and the facts.

I don't know how people don't go postal when they get a judge who ignores all the evidence before them and makes, a rash, illogical and unfair decision that destroys lives that are already in limbo due to legitimate circumstances. You pay into a system for years out of your hard earned paycheck, only to have that system turn on you when you need it the most. I hope things go well for you at the appeals level, and that you don't have to wait too long.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

gayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB User

I totally understand being a slave to the daily mail delivery. I am waiting on two letters, from two different cases. It seems like I can hear the mail delivery truck a mile away! My heart starts beating fast, and I get my walker and start heading for the mail box - only to find another bill and no letter from SSDI.

I hope you don't have to wait too much longer. After my hearing, it was three months before I finally got my denial letter.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:05 AM   #7
(female)

Cabingirl555 HB User

"AB" and "GAIL" and others on this board:

I, too, can hear and understand your daily frustrations. I have my ALJ hearing on 7/3 with a law firm specializing in SSD. While the Court indicated he would render his decision in 30 days, being the OCD person that I am, 30 days was 3 days ago LOL and I'm still clock watching for the mail lady today. LOL
The first week after my hearing I was about 80% sure that I would be awarded. I am in my mid 50s and have worked full time 31 years, mostly in the legal field as a paralegal. I kept analyzing and analyzing the questions the Court asked of me, and I kept renumerating and renumerating the questions he asked the VE . . . and I felt, like I said, 80% positive.

Now that it's been a month, I'm about 40% positive. How quickly my stinking thinking can turn around. It's really sad, IMO, that I have worked all these years, suffer from horrific fibro, and yet I have to become even more anxiety ridden while awaiting the infamous "letter."

Thanks for letting me sound off . . . I have to start my trip down to the mail box (again) lol

Have a great day everyone and hang in there!

Old 08-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #8
(male)

AbMigraineMan HB User

I feel your pain, I really do. I had my hearing in the beginning of July also and it's just about at the 30 mark for me also, the difference was I supposedly won my hearing on the spot, the judge made a bench decision. But I still haven't seen anything in writing and until I do, my anxiety will continue to get the best of me. I need those benefits, as I am sure you and everyone else who goes through this excruciating process does. Hope you get a letter soon, and that its favorable.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
(female)

jakes1mom HB Userjakes1mom HB User

I can really relate to you. I went to my disablity hearing August2nd. Thought i was gonna have a nervous breakdown before i got there. I do feel good about the hearing though, my rummy had not sent in his paper work yet. Good news was i had plenty without his. Hopefully, well be hearing something real sson. Im just so glad to have it over. man, was it an ordeal for me. My lawyer and the alj asked me to sign a paper about the on set date of my disablity, i did. Hopefully its all good for us. does anyone out there now how much a person gets a month with ssi only? thats what im entitled to, well its what i've applied for anyways.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #10
(male)

AbMigraineMan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakes1mom View Post
I can really relate to you. I went to my disablity hearing August2nd. Thought i was gonna have a nervous breakdown before i got there. I do feel good about the hearing though, my rummy had not sent in his paper work yet. Good news was i had plenty without his. Hopefully, well be hearing something real sson. Im just so glad to have it over. man, was it an ordeal for me. My lawyer and the alj asked me to sign a paper about the on set date of my disablity, i did. Hopefully its all good for us. does anyone out there now how much a person gets a month with ssi only? thats what im entitled to, well its what i've applied for anyways.
You should talk to your attorney. I had the same paper I signed amending the onset date of my disability. Usually this is an indicator that the judge has agreed to 'cut' a deal in exchange for you getting less back benefits. My lawyer has my case down as a win. She's a pretty prominent attorney in my area. After the hearing I asked her if there was any chance the judge would not award me the disability and she said no chance I had won my case. But because I have anxiety with each day I worry that something bad might happen that changes the outcome, even though I have been told it was decided. To be honest I was in such a state of panic during the hearing itself I didn't really digest everything but I believe my attorney. We had a long conversation afterward. She's a pretty sharp cookie, with a long record of service and outstanding win ratios.

BUT- being the chronic worrier I am, I even called the attorney's office recently to see if they had received notice. The legal assistant I spoke to said no but that the case notes said it was a win. I'll feel a lot better when I see it on paper.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #11
(female)

jakes1mom HB Userjakes1mom HB User

i can relate, went to my hearing this past Monday. i feel good about it though. the judge said she'd keep the case open for 2 weeks- waiting on some paper work from my rummy. the thing is, there was alot of paper work turned in from other dr's who had treated me. actually, my primary care dr dxrd me with lupus and depression. so maybe even if this rummy dr doesn't comply in 2 weeks and send the paper work in like he should i hope my case will still close. i feel like that might happen, i pray for a quick answer from the judge. even if you feel good about your decision, you want to get that letter telling you that you were approved for disablity.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:24 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

dismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB User

Do you have an attorney? My attorney requested files from my docs (old and present) a few months before my trial so we would be prepared.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:17 AM   #13
(female)

twink41 HB User

Im also waiting on a decision from alj hearing,this wait is really getting to me.I had my hearing on the 7/23/10,no decision yet.

Last edited by twink41; 08-10-2010 at 06:18 AM.

Closed Thread