It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2010, 06:57 AM   #1
(male)

BradinCA HB UserBradinCA HB UserBradinCA HB UserBradinCA HB UserBradinCA HB User
Question Can I get ssdi and ssi?

Hi there,

I am going thru hell rite now. Using free internet at the cafe here.

I am trying to get ssdi. I received my social security statement, and it says if I am disabled I would receive 1100 dollars per month.

In Cali, that amount isn't enough to live on.

I am wondering if I would be able to qualify for ssi as well.

Living in my camper at the moment.

But I would like an apartment so much.

If anyone knows, please let me know.

Thank you in advance.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

dismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB User
Re: Can I get ssdi and ssi?

Is their income in your household? Spouse, boyfriend, family member? SSI is for low income households.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

gayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB User

I believe (and someone please correct me if I am wrong) that you only get SSI with your SSDI if your SSDI is below 674.00 a month.

So, if your SSDI is $1100 per month, you would not get SSI too.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
(female)

princess9483 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayle4102 View Post
I believe (and someone please correct me if I am wrong) that you only get SSI with your SSDI if your SSDI is below 674.00 a month.

I agree with Gayle about the income limit but the amount is incorrect. In the state of California the most you can get with SSI is $845. http://ssa.gov/pubs/11125.html

So if you get more than that with SSDI you are not eligible for SSI.

There are some programs that can help you, depending on your other income, such as:

LIHEAP which helps you pay your electricity bills

Medicare Savings Plan which pays for your part B Medicare premiums and maybe other costs. Contact your food stamp office.

Weatherization Assistance Program which replaces or repairs a/c units, water heaters, refrigerators, windows, doors etc. if they are not energy efficient or needs repairing/replacing.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by princess9483; 10-14-2010 at 03:16 PM.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
(male)

BradinCA HB UserBradinCA HB UserBradinCA HB UserBradinCA HB UserBradinCA HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismama View Post
Is their income in your household? Spouse, boyfriend, family member? SSI is for low income households.
I am single. No income. The camper I am living in is a friend's/. I get food from his family who lives in the house.

I just don't know what to do. My siezures are really bad now. If I drive, I put my life, and others in danger. I also suffer from bipolar, and these 2 things, make my life hell.

The reason I need to get on ssi/ssdi and movie out of the camper, is because my friend sold it, and the guy is coming for it next month.

I am pretty lost right now.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:03 PM   #6
(male)

Quote:

How is someone in LA supposed to live on that? Even in South Central like Comton

Old 10-14-2010, 07:48 PM   #7
(female)

princess9483 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradinCA View Post
I am single. No income. The camper I am living in is a friend's/. I get food from his family who lives in the house.

I just don't know what to do. My siezures are really bad now. If I drive, I put my life, and others in danger. I also suffer from bipolar, and these 2 things, make my life hell.

The reason I need to get on ssi/ssdi and movie out of the camper, is because my friend sold it, and the guy is coming for it next month.

I am pretty lost right now.
I am sorry you are going through this. Have you tried to get into public housing or getting a section 8 voucher? What about family?

As far as food goes, do you get food stamps? If not I suggest you do so. Those offices also have a list of services that are available.

If you are in the hearing process, waiting for a hearing, you can file a dire need petition to speed up the process. You probably would need a letter from your friend stating that he has sold the trailer and that you need to move asap. I would also call or write your local senator.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:56 PM   #8
(male)

16 - 24 month month wait on section 8.

My family is gone. I am really - very much alone.

I have only one friend in the world, and I owe him my life. He and his wife give me food, and they said that I can sleep on their couch after they sell the camper.

That was nice of them, but I do not want to sleep on a couch for the rest of my life. Thanks to my friend, I have one nice meal per day. And a roof over my head.

I just don't know what to do.

life ain't easy.
feeling sad

Last edited by hb-mod; 11-08-2010 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Old 10-15-2010, 12:25 AM   #9
(female)

princess9483 HB User

Don't be sad. We have all either been where you are or were on the verge to be.

One way I stayed afloat is by going to college. That way I was able to pay my bills and nurse my health while completing one of my goals. If you don't have a bachelor's degree why don't you try that? It will also help you so you won't go stir crazy.

I understand there is a waitlist everywhere for Section 8 but they usually put the most needy, i.e. senior citizens, disabled, homeless, etc., top priority.

Is there public housing where you live? I know in my county they had either sold or tore down 40% of public housing and I had to go to the next county to apply. I didn't end up moving there because I realized I like my mom's house better, but if I had to I would have gone. It may not be the best neighborhood but it is a roof and four walls.

Last edited by hb-mod; 11-08-2010 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Old 10-15-2010, 03:30 AM   #10
(male)

Hi princess,

Thank you for taking time to talk to me. It means a lot.

I think that section 8 is the way to go. If I had family, I would love to live with them...but right now, I gotta start thinking about my future.
I pray I get my ssdi soon, and I pray that I can then get an apt with section 8. it's so hard.

Thanks again. hugs

Last edited by hb-mod; 11-08-2010 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Old 10-15-2010, 07:22 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

gayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradinCA View Post
How is someone in LA supposed to live on that? Even in South Central like Comton
Sadly, the answer is... you can't live very well on that little money in LA. I get much less in SSDI, but I live in a very cheap part of the country. There is no way I could live on SSDI in LA, or NYC, or another expensive place to live.

I know you don't want to sleep on a couch the rest of your life, but try to think of it as only temporary, and I am thankful you have such a wonderful friend to help you.

I hope you get the SSDI and Section 8 soon, and you will be in my prayers.

Last edited by gayle428; 10-15-2010 at 07:25 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 10-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

I agree with galye4102, I'll be praying for you also I'm sorry about how things are going for you. Texas is a great place to live I think. Its just my opinion. I'll pray for you

Old 10-15-2010, 09:33 PM   #13
(female)

decboom HB User

Hi friend,
i am so sorry that life is so very hard for you right now. you have got to go and apply. you will need medical records to substantiate your claim. please look into social service agencies that may be able to refer you to some clinics or health services that will not only take care of you but document all of your troubles.

it sounds like you have great deal to contend with and my heart goes out to you. i want you to make it and all i can give you is advice. get the initial application in and go from there. get some help from an agency that will treat some if not most of your medical issues.

i am glad you have the help of the friends you have. i wish you the best and may the good Lord watch and keep you.

Last edited by hb-mod; 11-08-2010 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Old 10-15-2010, 11:49 PM   #14
(male)

Quote:

I hope you get the SSDI and Section 8 soon, and you will be in my prayers.
Thank you Gayle, your words and prayers mean a lot to me, right now.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:50 PM   #15
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrangran View Post
I agree with galye4102, I'll be praying for you also I'm sorry about how things are going for you. Texas is a great place to live I think. Its just my opinion. I'll pray for you
Thank you for your prayers as well. I am not sure if it is possible for me to move out of California right now. But I have been to texas, and really liked it

Closed Thread