It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #31
Senior Veteran
(male)

vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User
Re: SSDI / Has anyone received more money than what it stated on your SS statement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineAZ View Post
They've gradually phased out paper checks which is a good idea. Many banks give free checking or savings with direct deposit, though some have some fees. Thus the card, direct deposit and paper checks ca all involve fees (those without bank accounts often cash the check and pay a fee to at places like check cashing facilities, grocery stores, Walmart, etc.

Direct deposit is the most reliable and safest as there is no check to get lost or stolen! And it doesn't matter if you are out of town, in the hospital, or stuck at home due to a snowstorm as the money is safely deposited no matter where you are or if you're unable to get to the bank.
Also if you get direct deposit make sure the account is for your ssdi check only that way creditors cannot come in and garnish your account if you have creditors harassing you because if you deposit into a joint account with let's say your spouse and it's your regular checking account then they can garnish because they can't tell the difference between ssdi money or your spouses pay check or any other money you put into it.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #32
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User
Re: SSDI / Has anyone received more money than what it stated on your SS statement?

Vannort54, I though you cant' get your garnish if you get ssdi.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2011, 11:47 AM   #33
Senior Veteran
(male)

vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrangran View Post
Vannort54, I though you cant' get your garnish if you get ssdi.
If you owe back taxes student loans child support they can but if your ssdi money is in your general checking account other creditors will garnish because the bank won't tell them what is ssdi money or any other money so the banks will let them take it because it is not marked ssdi account only so they can garnish it

Last edited by vann04; 05-14-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:26 PM   #34
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Everyone should examine their own situation when deciding which account will receive the SSDI direct depositeeds to consider their own factors into which type of account to use for SSDI direct deposit.
If you have any financial judgement against you contact an attorney for the factors around having SSDI garnished from your account for repayment.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #35
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineAZ View Post
It appears you are right. SS recently announced suspending the statements due to budget limitations. Hopefully they'll start sending them out again. Luckily there is a wealth of information and benefit calculators on www.ssa.gov
They should at least make the statements available for view on-line IMO.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #36
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

That would he nice. They could start with one last mailing saying if you want it the statement will be online and available 90 days before your birthday (and wont change until the next year). Then give instructions for doing the access online. It would have to require more than your SS#, a user name and way to create account and set your own password

Old 05-28-2011, 07:22 AM   #37
(female)

capatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB User

I live in Texas and 15 years ago when my husband and I did a joint tax return they garnished my whole refund for taxes that he owed even though we were not married at the time that he owed. at this time he was disabled and receiving SSDI ,I called the tax office and they said since Texas was a community property state I was responsible for his debts even though we were not married at the time of his debt, The next year I filed married filing separate and that didnot happen again, I don't know if he was required to pay taxes on his SSDI ? they didnot go after him because they couldnot touch his SSDI but they could my working wages, He also owed the goverment for a loan that he took out to go to barber's school ,never finished,never paid the loan back ,they didnot go after him but it came up when we applied for a home, I had to get the loan in my name since I had the good credit but his name was on the deeds, He died in August of 2010 pretty much penniless , I always feared that after they took my income tax refund that they would garnish my wages from my job since I was making taxable wages. at the time that happened somone told me that I could file some papers with the government saying that we were not married at the time he owed the taxes ,it was complicated so I didnot bother, It was 1300.00 , I was madder than a WET HEN!

The following user gives a hug of support to capatga:
jgrangran (05-28-2011)
Old 05-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #38
Facilitator
(female)

Were you formally divorced at the time he incurred debt? They can only hold you responsible for what occurs during the marriage. If you merely separated and didn't file legal separation and then for divorce then you are liable in a community property state for his debts. If he took public gvt loans for school, those are discharged at death. If loans are private they are not discharged at death and you have to try to settle with them for a lesser amount. If you were formally divorced when he got SSDI and he had no other source of iincome or assets then likely SSDI was tax free but could be garnished for past duetaxes, student loans, etc. When married SSDI is more likely taxable if the other spouse has income. So that all depends on other incomebwhen filing taxes. Bankruptcy does not discharge any past due taxes nor student loans. So anyone getting SSDI is better off aiming to pay those off ASAP. As they'll be hunting for that money forever.

Last edited by SpineAZ; 05-28-2011 at 07:41 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to SpineAZ For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (05-28-2011)
Old 05-28-2011, 07:40 AM   #39
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

Capatga I am sorry to hear about your husband. And sorry you have to go thru this whole mess hang in there things will turn around you will see.

Last edited by jgrangran; 05-28-2011 at 07:41 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
capatga (05-28-2011)
Old 05-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #40
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by capatga View Post
I live in Texas and 15 years ago when my husband and I did a joint tax return they garnished my whole refund for taxes that he owed even though we were not married at the time that he owed. at this time he was disabled and receiving SSDI ,I called the tax office and they said since Texas was a community property state I was responsible for his debts even though we were not married at the time of his debt, The next year I filed married filing separate and that didnot happen again, I don't know if he was required to pay taxes on his SSDI ? they didnot go after him because they couldnot touch his SSDI but they could my working wages, He also owed the goverment for a loan that he took out to go to barber's school ,never finished,never paid the loan back ,they didnot go after him but it came up when we applied for a home, I had to get the loan in my name since I had the good credit but his name was on the deeds, He died in August of 2010 pretty much penniless , I always feared that after they took my income tax refund that they would garnish my wages from my job since I was making taxable wages. at the time that happened somone told me that I could file some papers with the government saying that we were not married at the time he owed the taxes ,it was complicated so I didnot bother, It was 1300.00 , I was madder than a WET HEN!
Sorry about the death of your husband capatga but it does suck that the IRS was able to garnish your entire refund years later for his past debt when you were then legally married.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #41
(female)

capatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB User

We were not legally separated (there is no legal separation in Texas) just lived apart, because of his mental problems he was prone to fits of anger, e was also a Vietnam Vet that might have been exposed to agent orange, the veterans affairs told me htye are investigating his claim for ishemic heart disease because we were not living together (even though I cared for him you until his death) I couldnot collect it even if they award it to him because we were not living together at the time of his death, when and if I am found disabled I can collect his military retirement whic would be offset 1 dollar for every 2 dollars in I earn in SSDI,also there is a cap of 11,000 per year, I could get his SS retirement when I am 62 : 50 if I am disabled but then if I am found to be disabled my SSDI will be over the 11,000 limit, I can collect my retirement and his at the same time ,but again there is that limit hanfing over my head, I went to the library yesterday to research my options , I can't collect my SSDI and his SS reitrement ,it has to be the same type of benefits, It is mind boggleling all of thw rules , I have beeen trying for omnths to get a appointment with a VSO but to no vail, I even wrote a letter to the privacy officer in Washington, I get-emails with promises ,so it pretty much boils down to this ,I have to settle for my own benefits (my SSDI is more than his by about 200.00)
because I will be penalized if I go for his ,by the way when he was living I had AETNA thru my employment and he went to the VA

The Following User Says Thank You to capatga For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (05-28-2011)
Closed Thread