HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Disabilities (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/disabilities/)
-   -   SSDI / Has anyone received more money than what it stated on your SS statement? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/disabilities/822034-ssdi-has-anyone-received-more-money-than-what-stated-your-ss-statement.html)

BradinCA 11-08-2010 05:37 AM

SSDI / Has anyone received more money than what it stated on your SS statement?

Hi guys,

SSDI / Has anyone received more money than what it stated on your SS statement?

For instance, if my social security statement says that my monthly benefit is approx $1150, is this approx what I will have to live on the rest of my life? (assuming I can not return to work)

BradinCA 11-08-2010 05:44 AM

Re: SSDI / Has anyone received more money than what it stated on your SS statement?

Also wondering if anyone has dealt with HCV aka Section 8. On Friday I found out that they will not open the waiting list until November 2011. This is 1 year from now.
And then I found out that I would prob. have to wait 2 - 3 years.

My situation is so bad right now. I am living at my old co-workers house on a small sofa. I was living in their camper until it was sold last week.

I just don't know how much longer I can go on like this.

I wish I could work, but if you all knew my circumstances, you would understand that it is not only dangerous for me to work, but dangerous for other people as well.

I hate having to rely on my co-worker and his wife for money.

I am so freaking lost.

Even if I get approved from SSDI and get 1150 dollars per month, I will most likely have to get a room-mate or move out of the State of California because the cost of living is so high here.

I had a seizure today and it really messed me up and made me sad ala depressed.

so, if anyone is out there, please let me know yours thoughts on all this.

gayle428 11-08-2010 09:58 AM

Re: SSDI / Has anyone received more money than what it stated on your SS statement?

Hi Brad, I was approved in August, and my monthly payment is exactly the amount that was on my SS statment. Everybody's amount is different, depending on their work history (mine is much less than 1150).

From what I have read and heard, the waiting list for Section 8 is long in every part of the country. If I were you, I would get on that list as soon as possible.... even if it is next year.

Yes, the cost of living is very high in California, and it would be hard to live on 1150 there. Hang in there, and I am very thankful you have friend to help you.

brendaks1 11-08-2010 01:38 PM

Brad,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Keep in mind that people get depressed when they see their situation as hopeless. Don't be hopeless! No matter what life throws at you, it still really isn't all that bad.

Getting connected with some other people might do you a world of good. There are support groups, churches, all sorts of other organizations, etc., where you could find lots of caring people and could possibly help you get some purpose back in your life.

Also, every community tends to have a low-income housing advocate or two who help people find suitable, low-cost housing. Do some phone calls and find out who it is in your area and talk to them. They might be able to get you into some housing quicker through one of the many programs out there. Homeless people tend to get priority, so you might say your friend is about to kick you out.

There are lots of us out there who care, but caring people don't know to come looking for you so you need to go looking for them.

Keep your chin up high, and remember there are much better days ahead! Be persistent and be the squeaky wheel to get the housing you deserve and get your other needs taken care of.

dismama 11-09-2010 07:52 AM

I ended up getting more money thst my statement listed. But it was probably because my lasst statement was 2 years ago. Maybe because of my age I only get one every 2 years. Also part of it was due to cost of living increases.

NElady 11-09-2010 08:33 AM

Hi Brad!
Sorry to hear about your living situation. Things are really tight for me as well waiting to hear back on my appeal. U had asked if the 1150 would be all you would get for the rest of your life. Well, SS does have a Cost of Living Adjustment they give every year (except this year) and it raises your monthly benefit by a small amount, kinda like if you were to get a COLA raise at your job while working. So no, you likely wouldn't make just the 1150 for the rest of your life. Not a lot extra, but every lit bit helps!!

Hope that helps answer part of your question???

mscat40 11-09-2010 02:46 PM

I know section 8 housing is very difficult to get on. Maybe try HUD housing too. They are easier to get because there are more of them . You just have decent credit.

BradinCA 11-09-2010 07:36 PM

[QUOTE=mscat40;4620081]I know section 8 housing is very difficult to get on. Maybe try HUD housing too. They are easier to get because there are more of them . You just have decent credit.[/QUOTE] My credit is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. The worst credit possible.
Not because I didn't pay consumer credit, but because I was hospitalized after a seizure and didn't have insurance. I was in the hospital for 6 days.

Total cost: $47,900

dismama 11-10-2010 05:19 AM

[QUOTE=BradinCA;4620258]My credit is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. The worst credit possible.
Not because I didn't pay consumer credit, but because I was hospitalized after a seizure and didn't have insurance. I was in the hospital for 6 days.

Total cost: $47,900[/QUOTE]

How long ago was that? I used to work in the credit industry?

BradinCA 11-10-2010 05:21 AM

[QUOTE=dismama;4620434]How long ago was that? I used to work in the credit industry?[/QUOTE]

June 2009 :(

tlwright 11-10-2010 11:53 AM

County housing is hard to get. Here in Hawaii they say the wait time is a year but I have been waiting for 3 years now and still waiting.
I can not even get food stamps because of my little amount of income that I do have puts me over of about $25 to qualify.
The sad part about the food stamp program is that alot of people should not be receiving it at all.
I have gone to the stores many of times where someone is willing to spend twice as much to me if I give them money. If they spend $20 worth of food stamps for groceries for me then I would have to give them $10 in cash.
I never done it but it makes me madder then He!! seeing people do this and abusing the system while it takes away from those who could use it.
My credit sucks also, can not pay bills like I used to and things have been going down for me since 2008. I would love to get approved for SSDI, have back pay and pay those bills off. The longer SSA waits to give a decision then more interest we have to pay on those late bills. Too bad people dont collect interest on the back pay for the time people had to wait for the decision letter.

vann04 05-09-2011 12:13 PM

[QUOTE=tlwright;4620634]County housing is hard to get. Here in Hawaii they say the wait time is a year but I have been waiting for 3 years now and still waiting.
I can not even get food stamps because of my little amount of income that I do have puts me over of about $25 to qualify.
The sad part about the food stamp program is that alot of people should not be receiving it at all.
I have gone to the stores many of times where someone is willing to spend twice as much to me if I give them money. If they spend $20 worth of food stamps for groceries for me then I would have to give them $10 in cash.
I never done it but it makes me madder then He!! seeing people do this and abusing the system while it takes away from those who could use it.
My credit sucks also, can not pay bills like I used to and things have been going down for me since 2008. I would love to get approved for SSDI, have back pay and pay those bills off. The longer SSA waits to give a decision then more interest we have to pay on those late bills. Too bad people dont collect interest on the back pay for the time people had to wait for the decision letter.[/QUOTE]
When I went to the SSa office to apply I asked the woman to look up how much I would receive every month when I'm approved she got on her computer and then I saw her face lite up she was in aww she told me that she has never seen any one get this amount she told me would receive over $2,000 a month and I said to her that I worked my butt for over 40 years to get that amount

sunni123 05-10-2011 09:20 PM

Centers for Independent Living (CILs) are good with housing.

SpineAZ 05-11-2011 08:17 AM

Your SSDI amount can go up if Cost of Living Adjustments (COLA) are made. For the past few years there have been no COLA increases. The COLA is based on certain factors in the national economy, not whether SS has the funds or not, so they look at a variety of financial factors. COLA are a small % and if they occur yearly you slowly see your SSDI increase.

In 2007 COLA was 3.3%, 2008 2.3%, 2009 5.8%, 2010 0%, 2011 0%

The maximum individual SSDI benefit is around $2200/mo. But if you have children under the age of 18 you qualify for additional dependent child SSDI.

So if your SSDI is $1150 you can get an additional $575/mo total for all children (not per child but for all children). If you have 2 kids under 18 each would get $287/mo then when the eldest reaches 18 the younger one gets $575. Sometimes spouses are entitled to additional benefits as well. If you think any of this applies take a look at www.ssa.gov and contact SS to provide them full family information (DOB of kids, spouses, etec)

mscat40 05-11-2011 02:52 PM

[QUOTE=BradinCA;4620258]My credit is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. The worst credit possible.

Total cost: $47,900[/QUOTE]

OUCH ! Maybe , after you do recieve your SSDI you can find a roomate that you trust , and move into a 2 bedroom apt? share the rent? Living in LA CA, is got to be difficult, I am not too far away from LA. Maybe if you lived in a smaller town even a Rual city would help with bills and cost of living. You are on the right track though, because if you moved out of state , i do not think that your credit would show up there. At least that is what I have heard.
I also know that once you do get your medical insurance it will go back and pay hospital bills . But I do not know how far back Med- ical goes, you could look into it though.