It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
(female)

Ellie1962 HB UserEllie1962 HB UserEllie1962 HB UserEllie1962 HB User
Disability w/out a Court Hearing

I know somebody who was approved for disability without a court hearing. She got a letter in the mail telling her this. There was no explaination, or she didn't tell me.

SHe thinks alot of herself and tends to brag that SHE didn't have to go to a hearing but *I* did.

The thing is, she told her doctor God talks to her when it isn't true. He put her down as a psychotic and I think this helped her along. She laughs about it, collects her free money, and one day she will tell the wrong person. She told me she is going to continue to tell her doctor this so she may STAY on disability...what a sad individual. I hope she gets reported. I've thought about it...my psych nurse told me to stay out of it.

Anybody get disability without having to go to a hearing? Does this mean the government views your disability as so bad that you get it without having to be judged? Just don't understand that.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
(male)

Benji21 HB User
Re: Disability w/out a Court Hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie1962 View Post
I know somebody who was approved for disability without a court hearing. She got a letter in the mail telling her this. There was no explaination, or she didn't tell me.

SHe thinks alot of herself and tends to brag that SHE didn't have to go to a hearing but *I* did.

The thing is, she told her doctor God talks to her when it isn't true. He put her down as a psychotic and I think this helped her along. She laughs about it, collects her free money, and one day she will tell the wrong person. She told me she is going to continue to tell her doctor this so she may STAY on disability...what a sad individual. I hope she gets reported. I've thought about it...my psych nurse told me to stay out of it.

Anybody get disability without having to go to a hearing? Does this mean the government views your disability as so bad that you get it without having to be judged? Just don't understand that.
This is pretty sad. And yes, you can win at the Reconsideration Level. I would be ashamed of myself to lie like this.

Last edited by Benji21; 12-13-2010 at 06:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
(female)

konagirl222 HB Userkonagirl222 HB Userkonagirl222 HB User

You know things have a way of coming back to people especially when they "brag" to everyone.....it's called karma. One day she will get paid back and with any luck you will hear about it.

As far as getting disibility without a hearing it happens about 3 times for every 10 applications (statistics from the social security website). I was one of the fortunate ones. Why do some get approved the first time as apposed to those that have to wait years? I think contributers are: the state you live in, support from your doctors, age, number of diagnosis/health problems, and plain old "luck". Also, I used a lawyer from the very start. I had made a few mistakes on the initial application form that the lawyer caught before I submitted it, so was worth his fee from the start. I was prepared for a 3-4 year battle and was absolutely dumbfounded when I was approved after only 4-5 months after submitting my initial application without having any type of hearing. It can and does happen.

I wish you well in your pursuit.

KG

Old 12-13-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
(female)

Those of us who are disabled and need our benefits should learn how to turn on the tears like this fraud does. can't believe her psychiatrist and therapist fall for it. She thinks she thoroughly fooled the system by faking psychotic symptoms. It's nice to know that her getting it w/out a court hearing is simply a statistic and perhaps she is someone who was not looked at closely enough. Not sure why she can't work. I've had some interaction with her...the only thing wrong with her is she's sociopathic. Of course, that's not the diagnosis that got her on disability. She garners sympathy from all sorts of people and scams to get free things, including getting low income energy assistance (the utility company has agreed to pay for her heat..I can't afford to put my heat on.)...I know I'm a little frustrated. Just venting. She's a shining example of why we all have to go to court hearings and be subjected to the stress of that....because people lie to get on disability.

In any event, I was disabled in the early 90s and applied for disability and got on it without having to go to court. I was disabled for 6 years and went back to work on my own, without even having a review. I became disabled again after 5 years of full time employment and some good health. I reapplied and I was denied twice and had to get a lawyer. I was approved in 2007. I don't think social security even checked my disability record. I'm not sure why I kept getting denied even though I was previously disabled. I'm wondering if going back to work after 6 years made it more difficult. I am up for a review but have had two hospitalizations this year for serious mental illness issues. I am in full time recovery and am working hard to be well.

I so want to report this person for fraud but I'm holding myself back. The advice I got was "do nothing." So I do nothing! I'm sure there are others like her. She's a poor example to society. Hopefully Karma exists.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:44 AM   #5
(female)

dbsummersun13 HB User

Yes you can get approved for ssdi without a hearing. It just depends on the persons disability. Certain ones get an almost automatic approval. Don't know about your friend though. If it is an act she will get caught. I firmly believe in "what goes around comes around".

Old 12-22-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
(female)

janielou75 HB Userjanielou75 HB User

I get upset when I read about people lying to get free money when they may not need it.
Yes there is karma.
I do know whole families who get ssi and they keep having babies to get more food stamps.
The mother, the father and all the children get it with two of them adults now, spending their money on drugs and getting in trouble all the time.
They go around town and keep making girls pregnant and all their mother does is brag about becoming a grandmother again.
These men don't pay child support or anything.
They are able bodied and could get a job even it if was at a hamburger joint but they were taught by their parents to get everything free from the government.
I can't stand to even look at them.
I see that one of them just got busted for drugs again but they will be out on the street terrorizing people soon I am sure, they always get out.

Last edited by janielou75; 12-22-2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: wrong spelling

Old 12-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #7
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by janielou75 View Post
I get upset when I read about people lying to get free money when they may not need it.
Yes there is karma.
I do know whole families who get ssi and they keep having babies to get more food stamps.
The mother, the father and all the children get it with two of them adults now, spending their money on drugs and getting in trouble all the time.
They go around town and keep making girls pregnant and all their mother does is brag about becoming a grandmother again.
These men don't pay child support or anything.
They are able bodied and could get a job even it if was at a hamburger joint but they were taught by their parents to get everything free from the government.
I can't stand to even look at them.
I see that one of them just got busted for drugs again but they will be out on the street terrorizing people soon I am sure, they always get out.

We have the same problem here. I have come across people who sell their food stamps in exchange for cash for drug money. It is known that this is done...I think the problem is everywhere. I have so many medical bills from hospitalizations and other things from recent months that I ran out of food last month, but the lady who embelished about her disability can afford steaks and roast. She gets free rent from the State and she gets her electric for free because she cried poverty...she can shop at the most expensive grocery stores with the money she is not spending on things most people have to, i.e., rent and electric. My dinner last night was rice. I am trying to get ahead of my bills. I have cancelled my cell phone and my cable TV. My computer was a gift and the only extravagance I afford myself is the internet. Sometimes I don't even have money at the end of the month to wash and dry my clothes in the laundry room. My montly disability payment is paying my basic bills, and I by no means squander money away. I go to the food bank twice a month. Not sure why people lie to get state or government money...there is nothing nice about having to be on disability for health reasons and be in poverty anyway. I am grateful that I get a disability payment, but at times I am worried about the next month. I went to the dentist this month...it will take me 2 years to have needed dental work done, as I can only afford 1 filling a month. My therapist today called a dental school for me to see if I can get my teeth filled at a lower cost...I've had to have teeth pulled...it goes on and on, and I am only one disabled person with these issues. I know others on disability use their disability payments for bills like I do, and a lot of people try to get well and go back to work.

I'm not sure why people get away with what they do...I think in most cases there is a real disability, like the lady who lied to get SSI that I know...chances are she probably has a real diagnosis, she just embelished to make sure she would be approved...she deems herself not mentally ill...I had therapy today and talked about this very subject. The therapist assured me if she told ME these things she told others and chances are it will all catch up with her. If she IS mentally ill she's a mentally ill person with a criminal mind.

Maybe the problem begins with people faking out doctors...it is their paperwork that is gathered by the government to approve or disapprove a disability claim...I think you can't fool a good psychiatrist or any other doctor. When I had my court hearing there was a state psychiatrist there...he had the last word and he was tough. I wouldn't have been able to fake it if I was of that nature. I am really disabled and I am an honest person and dishonesty bothers me.

I don't know what the solution is. I get angry too. Last year I saw a show on CNN that showed a veteran who was denied disability by the government and he had injuries he sustained while serving in Iraq. Where does the insanity end?

The following user gives a hug of support to Ellie1962:
Precious55 (12-23-2010)
Old 12-22-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

SS decisions can be very random. Two people with the same age, symptoms, meds, etc can get two different decisions. I do know people who have been approved on initial app or on appeal and surprisingly so as they are less impaired than others. SSDI can be a battle and it's hard to predict who will be approved at what stage.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:36 AM   #9
(female)

capatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB User

I hear stories like this and it is unbeliveable that people get approved so easily and those with serioius diabilities don't ,something is wrong with the system. I have a cousin that used to brag about getting her so called "crazy check" ,she also got foodstamps fraudgently .I did report her and they seemed very interested ,that was 8 months ago and she is still collecting food stamps for her kids that she lost custody of a year and will probably collect SSI for the rest of her life with no problems , go figure

Old 05-25-2011, 10:31 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Mom2485 HB User

this is so frustrating hearing when others abuse the system but it's done more than we probably know.

I know someone who does this also; I turned him in and nothing was done so it was really a waste of my effort - I still can't understand how he can be disabled where he can't ever work again but yet can do physically challening things like train and ride horses - when there's those of us who can barely sit up or walk and keep getting denied.

he filed and got approved first try...he has brain lesions but has NO symptoms; just symptoms from his meds...baffling to me

Old 05-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Here is one for you capatga and Ellie1962. A high school friend came by the other day and we were talking about the fun times we had in school. Then, the subject of disability got brought up. I told him that I had to apply and what had transpired the last 3 years of my life. I was telling him how difficult and frustrating the process was. He then told me about this girl that we both know personally. She spent 15 years in prison. She was an accessory to a murder, altho she did not pull the trigger personally when this tragic event occurred. She was on SSI before she went to prison. She got on it not because she was disabled and unable to work but because she thought why work if you can get SSI and not have too. After she did her 15 year prison stint, she had to reapply. Without any medical proof SSA approved her in less than 3 months. They sent her for one CE exam with a shrink. That was all. This girl now brags about how easy it was and uses the SSI money to buy booze and dope. She also gets $200 in foods stamps in addition to the SSI. Most ppl are not like this but there are the complete frauds who make it hard for those who are truly disabled and in need.

Last edited by BlueSkies14; 05-25-2011 at 03:26 PM.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:47 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

And those who do are willing to live basically in poverty conditions. SSI pays so little and food stamp/cards have become more strict as to what you can purchase (at least here in AZ). I was at a market today that caters to many people on food assistance. What they can buy is minimal (they pot a small symbol next to allowable items). I noticed on cereal aisle it was all "healthy" cereals allowed (not anything sweetened). The market is in a low income area but makes AWESOME Mexican pastries which I went in to purchase.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineAZ View Post
And those who do are willing to live basically in poverty conditions. SSI pays so little and food stamp/cards have become more strict as to what you can purchase (at least here in AZ). I was at a market today that caters to many people on food assistance. What they can buy is minimal (they pot a small symbol next to allowable items). I noticed on cereal aisle it was all "healthy" cereals allowed (not anything sweetened). The market is in a low income area but makes AWESOME Mexican pastries which I went in to purchase.
Yeah, I know Spine. I mean how comfortable can you live on $500-$700 dollars a month, some even less than that. I can understand ppl who are truly in need. This is all they have but people should not abuse the system by buying drugs and alcohol with the money. I have no proof of this but I think there is more fraud in SSI than in SSDI. What gets me Spine is some of these ppl go around bragging about what they are doing. If I was doing something like this, I would keep my mouth shut, would not you? All it takes is for you to make someone angry and then they call SSA or LTD and report what you are doing out of revenge. I have heard of things like this happening to people actually.

Last edited by BlueSkies14; 05-25-2011 at 04:03 PM.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:44 PM   #14
(female)

capatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB User

for some strange reason ssi is easier ,,My mother retired from the food stamp fraud division,she told me that they are not going to catch everybody because of the huge number of people in the system, they had the system set up to do a random check,that's when she would call them in to document their activities and ask questions ,they would just lie out of it and win because that is what they do from years of experience, the programer would write a program that might instruct the program to flag anyone that maybe changed the number of family members or changed the slighest thing in their case, these are the ones that are selected randomly , same as with income tax fraud, I remember many years ago I was called in for an audit of my taxes .I was a divorced mother of 2 young children who was forced to work for minumum wages because I was a stay at home mom and at the time had no job skills and preferred to work and not receive welfare,because I had always filed joint with my husband ,this was my first time filing, they asked me how I was able to afford an apartment and have a car and feed my children with no help from the government or my husband, I told them that I had grown up poor and learned how to manage, ( I went from living in a nice home to a crappy apt in the bad side of town and drove a 64 camaro in 1975) when I asked why I got called in for the audit, they simply said,because the computer picked you , now apply this same system to disabilty claims

Old 05-25-2011, 07:36 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

sunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB User

SSI does pay very little. For example, it is impossible to spend less than $350 a month on food alone. Maybe others know how to do it, but food is terribly expensive, especially if you have to watch your diet. You can get pork rinds (fattening) for 99 c - everything that slops fat on it is so cheap, yet if you want to eat healthy and you are single, not very easy in the US (although maybe someone has ideas on how to scrimp on food!) Rent, utilities, impossible to live on <700 a month.

Last edited by sunni123; 05-25-2011 at 07:40 PM.

Closed Thread