It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2010, 12:51 AM   #1
(male)

simicat HB User
SSI/SSDI Question Confused

Hi! I obtained a lawyer and applied for both SSI and SSDI in July 2010! I was called by local SSA office and received a fully favorable decision for both over the phone which I know is odd, my Lawyer also confirmed this. I received a letter for SSI award but not SSDI. The SSA office said they handle SSI at the local office and SSDI goes to a payment center in Maryland, both are separate entities. My question is will they deduct the SSI payments from my SSDI award? I was told im being paid SSI for first 5 months of waiting for approval because I fit there income requirements, and havent worked since 2008 and had been on welfare. When my SSDI kicks in my payment is estimated at $1800.00/mos., so will my SSI stop when I start receiving SSDI?. Will i receive an award letter from SSDI separately? Im so confused??????????????????????????? I do realize they will pay back my welfare and Lawyer first then send me what is left! Please help?????????????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

dismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB User
Re: SSI/SSDI Question Confused

the award letter for ssdi comes seperately. baltimore seems to be where all of the cases are transfered to for final processing. So they may be a little backed up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
(male)

Benji21 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicat View Post
Hi! I obtained a lawyer and applied for both SSI and SSDI in July 2010! I was called by local SSA office and received a fully favorable decision for both over the phone which I know is odd, my Lawyer also confirmed this. I received a letter for SSI award but not SSDI. The SSA office said they handle SSI at the local office and SSDI goes to a payment center in Maryland, both are separate entities. My question is will they deduct the SSI payments from my SSDI award? I was told im being paid SSI for first 5 months of waiting for approval because I fit there income requirements, and havent worked since 2008 and had been on welfare. When my SSDI kicks in my payment is estimated at $1800.00/mos., so will my SSI stop when I start receiving SSDI?. Will i receive an award letter from SSDI separately? Im so confused??????????????????????????? I do realize they will pay back my welfare and Lawyer first then send me what is left! Please help?????????????
Yes, I believe your SSI will stop once your SSDI kicks in. At least that is what mine did. Unless your SSDI amount is lower than your SSI amount.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

Congrats to you

Old 12-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

i think what you are stating is more than odd-the term fully favorable wouldnt be used over the phone-they may say your claim has been approved but they would not say fully favorable-that is used only when your ccase has gone to the hearing stage-ofcourse i could be wrong-so maybe someone will come along and prove me wrong
not to mention if you have an attorney they would have given this wonderful news to them first as they represent you. also there is no waiting period for ssi-you are paid from date of your application if approved. alot of descrepancies from where i stand-especilly since i have beeen thru it all and finally won my case-excuse me but i dont believe what you have stated-you are dealing with alot of people who have been thru alot of terribl stress and i cant imagine why you would post this-ofcourse maybe i am parinoid and totally wrong about you but something tellls me different-in any event if you have won your claim, God bless you-and please pray for those who are so deserving yet are going thru some terribly stressful,financially draining times.

Last edited by BB07; 12-14-2010 at 02:35 PM.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

My husband got a call from ssa first that he was approved. My husband then called his lawyer and told them and they were shocked that ssa would call him first. So I think they really call the lawyer first but you never know its ssa they do things different sometimes. Then when I got approved my lawyer called me and said I barely got approved but I didn't understand her comment and neither did ssa they even asked me if I was sure I wanted to pay the lawyer. Of course I had to deal with the lawyer not calling me and living in limbo I liked my husbands lawyer better but his lawyer moved up in that firm and I had to deal with someone else. ssa told me that no one barely get approved you eighter do or don't. Its good to hear from BB07. I hope everyone has a happy Holidays

Old 12-14-2010, 05:30 PM   #7
(female)

konagirl222 HB Userkonagirl222 HB Userkonagirl222 HB User

When I was approved in 2006, it was SSA that contacted me directly with the news. My lawyer had been told that a decision had been made but were not told that that my application had been approved. I got the call from SSA who also figured my backpay amount while on the phone with me. I received that same amount in my checking account less than 1 week later, prior to getting the offical letter. I only knew that the deposit was from SSA because of them telling me the amount during the phone call. The letter arrived about 2 weeks later. My lawyer said that SSA usually notifys the representative first but that was not always the case.

Congats on such wonderful news in time for the holidays!

KG

Old 12-16-2010, 02:44 AM   #8
(male)

simicat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismama View Post
the award letter for ssdi comes seperately. baltimore seems to be where all of the cases are transfered to for final processing. So they may be a little backed up.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:00 AM   #9
(male)

simicat HB User

Thanks everyone for your informative replies. I found out that SSi is awarded through my local SSA office and they are going to pay me backpay for my first 5 months of filing. However my SSDI is awarded through a payment center in Baltimore and they are backed up. My Lawyer informed me I probably wont see any SSI money because my SSDI monthly payment will be around $1900.00/mos and he notified Baltimore that an SSI claim is also in the works, the two entities are obviously not on the right page lol, and obviously you cant collect both if your SSDI amount is greater than $1000/mos, I am being told that my SSDI claim will go back a year which should give me a nice amount of retroactive pay. However, this might be brocken down into 3 installments. Also, any general assitance I received, plus 25% for Lawyer's fees will be deducted from my SSDI retroactive pay. Thanks again to all who replied to my post, and good luck with your claims! Im so happy this is almost over what a roller coaster ride and I was approved the first time with a Lawyer! Great guy Andrew Jason Leibovitz ESQ in Marlton, NJ 08053. Anyone in NJ I would tell you to use him he tells you like it is and keeps you informed throughout the whole process. He also just got my sister approved first time as well. Remember make sure you get good medical documentation and a Doctor willing to support your claim.

Last edited by simicat; 12-16-2010 at 03:01 AM.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:08 AM   #10
(male)

simicat HB User

Ok well my Lawyer has a contact at Baltimore! Im getting SSDI $1900.00. My SSI was approved but because my SSDI is more than $1000/mos i wont even see the SSI. I have been approved retroactive pay for 1 year so you do the math genius. You are paranoid and obviously jealous how much Im getting per month and backpay. You are probably someone who hardly paid into SS and get a nominal amount monthly! Yes you are paranoid, rude, and uninformed! Why would I lie, I have been through alot too chump!

Last edited by simicat; 12-16-2010 at 03:09 AM.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:53 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

gain Happy Holidays

Old 12-18-2010, 09:36 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

simicat:

I'm not sure who your anger is directed towards but please know people answer posts on this board in order to possibly be helpful. None of us are the decision makers nor do we guarantee the informaiton we share.

In many cases SSI can be awarded for the 5 month waiting period IF you are deemed to be of limited income and resources during that 5 month period. SS has a strict definition of what income/resources you can have. So some people who have nothing may get SSI for the 5 months and others with some household income or resources that is above the SS threshold would not.

Closed Thread