It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
(female)

algard HB User
I'm a New Representative Payee - Questions SSI & SSDI

Hi,

I am new to the forums. I have found a lot of helpful information here, but still have a few questions.

My adult son was just approved for SSI & SSDI benefits. As his representative payee, I understand that I must keep track of the funds. Does anyone know if I have to keep track of all of the funds, or just SSI? And, how is this done? For example - if he is to pay rent, utilities, food monthly to me, does it have to be shown as individual payments, or can it be shown as one monthly figure for all?

Any help and guidance is much appreciated!

Janet

Old 01-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: I'm a New Representative Payee - Questions SSI & SSDI

SSDI is based on his earned income history and thus is different than SSI which is financial needs based.

SSDI usually does not require recording where the funds are used.
SSI often and is used for food, housing, clothing, medical needs, etc.

However, since you are the representative payee you should verify which funds you need to record. You may have to record SSDI funds since you will receive them and they need to see they were used solely for his benefit.

www.ssa.gov may be a helpful site. Or call SS and ask them for where you can find written guidelines of what to do.

And if your son lives with you, you'd have to figure out what % of the housing costs you can "charge" to his funds, etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to SpineAZ For This Useful Post:
algard (01-03-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
(female)

msgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB User

i am rep payee for my stepson (does not live with us), and at the end of the end ssa will send you a form to fill out and return, or you can set up a log-in on their site for your adult child & fill it out online.. my stepson only gets ssi..
the form they send has several sections per spending.
1. food & housing ( electric,water,gas,rent,cable, etc)
2. other (clothing, education, medical and dental -not covered by insurance, recreation, and personal items, & anything else not food & housing related)
3. they ask if payee decided how the money was spent and saved
4. they ask if you were able to save any for payee & how much & what type of account the money was saved in.
the form is simple. what i used to do, create a spreadsheet with columns per f&h and other on my pc and save it. at the end of the month i would put everything into the spreadsheet and total the monthly expenses up per each column & enter it as well. then do year to date totals and enter at bottom as grand totals. makes it easier than doing it all at one time.. i dont have to do that anymore, as he lives in a group home now and they take all his ssi, i just send them the full benefit each month. only have a couple of other things over the year i pay out of his money in the account, like med expenses that his insurance does not pay for.
get receipts for everything and keep them !

Old 01-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
(female)

algard HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgenerallee View Post
i am rep payee for my stepson (does not live with us), and at the end of the end ssa will send you a form to fill out and return, or you can set up a log-in on their site for your adult child & fill it out online.. my stepson only gets ssi..
the form they send has several sections per spending.
1. food & housing ( electric,water,gas,rent,cable, etc)
2. other (clothing, education, medical and dental -not covered by insurance, recreation, and personal items, & anything else not food & housing related)
3. they ask if payee decided how the money was spent and saved
4. they ask if you were able to save any for payee & how much & what type of account the money was saved in.
the form is simple. what i used to do, create a spreadsheet with columns per f&h and other on my pc and save it. at the end of the month i would put everything into the spreadsheet and total the monthly expenses up per each column & enter it as well. then do year to date totals and enter at bottom as grand totals. makes it easier than doing it all at one time.. i dont have to do that anymore, as he lives in a group home now and they take all his ssi, i just send them the full benefit each month. only have a couple of other things over the year i pay out of his money in the account, like med expenses that his insurance does not pay for.
get receipts for everything and keep them !

Old 01-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
(female)

algard HB User

Thank you so much for the helpful information. The spreadsheet idea sounds perfect! I will hang on to the receipts as well.

Thanks again!

Old 01-05-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
(female)

algard HB User

My apologies for repeating your post. Can you tell I am new at this?

Closed Thread