It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2011, 03:53 AM   #1
(female)

LLTd HB UserLLTd HB UserLLTd HB UserLLTd HB User
Autistic Child & SSDI?

Has anyone been approved for SSDI for a child with Autism?

I was talking to an attny about my SSDI claim and she told me I should file SSDI for my son who was dx at 18 mths with Autism. I didn't know that could happen only SSI, which we were denied due to income/assets.

What documents & things do I need to have for him to get it? Also, what types of things do I put on his application; since he's 10 and doesn't work???

Old 01-08-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

dismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB User
Re: Autistic Child & SSDI?

I believe you would file for ssi for your son. ssdi is for people who have enough work credits.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

dismama is correct.

SSDI is for your own disability and based on your earnings history.

SSI for adults is financial and disability needs based.

SSI for children under 18 is disability based.

You can find more on www.ssa.gov

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10026.html#ssi-benefits

Call your local SS office if you'd like to apply. Prepare yourself by having a list of all your child's treating providers (docs, therapists, etc) and info about your income and the child's income/resources.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMT033167 View Post
Has anyone been approved for SSDI for a child with Autism?

I was talking to an attny about my SSDI claim and she told me I should file SSDI for my son who was dx at 18 mths with Autism. I didn't know that could happen only SSI, which we were denied due to income/assets.

What documents & things do I need to have for him to get it? Also, what types of things do I put on his application; since he's 10 and doesn't work???
I have a son with autsm , and mental delays. He was approved at that first level . make sure you have all his records, any specialas he has been to . Social Security will help obtain docuements for you.
Since your son is a minor Sociazl security looks at parents income.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I should mention that if you get SSDI your son can get dependent SSDI. To get that you contact SSDI once you are approved for SSDI and talk to them about SSDI dependent benefits and/or disabled children's SSI. SS can analyze what benefits the child is eligible for.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Kids who are born disabled or become permanently disabled before age (I think) 21 are eligible for SSDI in their own right, even though they have never worked. My friend has a sister who was born with severe mental retardation, and the sister has always received SSDI.

The only people who are ineligible for SSDI are adults with insufficient work record, they must apply for SSI.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Clarification and information can be found on www.ssa.gov and click on "disability"

Last edited by SpineAZ; 01-08-2011 at 10:00 PM.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:01 AM   #8
(female)

thanks for the information

I read about children w/disabilities, but some how it has never been told to us, and I didn't know we could file for him until the other day.

When our son was first dx at age 2, the early intervention people helped us file for SSI, of course we were denied.

I think there's a big misconception about SSDi and children actually can get SSDi if their parents have the proper work credits (both of us do)

I just wanted to see if anyone has ever gotten it for their child and tips etc

Old 01-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #9
(female)

msgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB User

yep, get as many med records from all of the doctors your child has seen from diagnosis to current. although ssdi is federal, state dds examiners do not always have the same ideas of who qualifies and who doesnt. my stepson was diagnosed with bipolar,& aspergers (high functioning autism) about age 14 or 15, and when we went to ssa office and did paperwork, they said we made too much money for him to get ssi and they did not even apply him for ssdi-so we got 0 help. this sounds like what happened to you as well.. when we applied after he turned 18, he got ssi first try, but no work credits for ssdi so denied for that... you should have been able to get benefits for him a long time ago, and they can retro it back for a number of years. good luck to you !

Old 01-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMT033167 View Post
thanks for the information

I read about children w/disabilities, but some how it has never been told to us, and I didn't know we could file for him until the other day.

When our son was first dx at age 2, the early intervention people helped us file for SSI, of course we were denied.

I think there's a big misconception about SSDi and children actually can get SSDi if their parents have the proper work credits (both of us do)

I just wanted to see if anyone has ever gotten it for their child and tips etc
If a disabled child is recieving SSDI , it is because of their parents record. An adult child is intitled to SSI that will on his record .
My autistic son recieved SSI until I became disabled , then he was put on my record, and not SSI . When he turns 18 years old I need to re apply for him to recieve his own SSI.
The only way a child can be getting SSDI is through a parents record .

The Following User Says Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
SpineAZ (01-10-2011)
Old 01-11-2011, 05:23 AM   #11
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscat40 View Post
If a disabled child is recieving SSDI , it is because of their parents record. An adult child is intitled to SSI that will on his record .
My autistic son recieved SSI until I became disabled , then he was put on my record, and not SSI . When he turns 18 years old I need to re apply for him to recieve his own SSI.
The only way a child can be getting SSDI is through a parents record .
We tried SSI when he was 2, because of our income & assets we were denied. They told us SSI was for low income families and if you owned vehicles or a home, pay above a certain amount, he couldn't get SSI. It's like with med waiver, applied for med waiver at age 2 and he's still on the list at age 10.

I'm going to try for SSDI for him since I just found out about it =) I'm having a complete medical workup again and PT/OT's to do his yearly eval so I'll have current records.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:32 AM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

LMT:

If you are awarded SSDI, any child you have is eligible for dependent child SSDI and the chlid does not need to be disabled.

A dependent child is 18-19 years old and a full-time student (no higher than grade 12) or 18 or older and disabled (disability must have started before 22.)

As an example, with random numbers/ages/etc
*You are awarded SSDI at $1200/mo
*You have 3 kids: 17, 12 and 2
*2 yr old has autism
*Dep child SSDI is 50% of your award, so $600/mo TOTAL
*While all 3 kids are under age 18 and not HS grads yet, each gets $200/mo
*When the 17 yr old graduates HS, the remaining 2 get $300/mo
*When the 12 yr old graduates HS, the remaining child gets $600/mo
*When the 2 yr old reaches 18 (soon before that) you prove child disability to SS
*An adult disabled before age 22 may be eligible for child's benefits if a parent is deceased OR starts receiving retirement or disability benefits. This is considered a "child's" benefit because it is paid on a parent's Social Security earnings record.

http://ssa.gov/dibplan/dacpage.shtml

This adult benefit, under your record, is only for children unable to work due to their disability. A child born with one leg, but who has no cognitive or psychiatric disability and gets a college degree in Accounting would not be disabled from working. A child born with Asperger Syndrome and at age 19 begins full time work as a dishwasher at a restaurant is likely NOT eligible for any benefits based on the amount he/she earns. A child born with autism who is not able to do more than sheltered workshop activities or who has no work capacity would be eligible.

Last edited by SpineAZ; 01-11-2011 at 07:46 AM.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:33 AM   #13
(female)

wow, thanks for all the info - I'm learning alot here =)

Old 01-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #14
(female)

pixiepom2653 HB User

When my son was 4 it dawned on me to apply for him. He was approved instantly ! I just needed the doctor report stating he agreed he was autistic ( a dx for it) I also had him in theraly and had that info as well. I was shocked as to how fast he was aproved. On the down side he passed away a week later Good luck hope it works out for you !

The following user gives a hug of support to pixiepom2653:
dismama (01-18-2011)
Old 01-18-2011, 02:44 AM   #15
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepom2653 View Post
When my son was 4 it dawned on me to apply for him. He was approved instantly ! I just needed the doctor report stating he agreed he was autistic ( a dx for it) I also had him in theraly and had that info as well. I was shocked as to how fast he was aproved. On the down side he passed away a week later Good luck hope it works out for you !
that is great it worked easily and I am so sorry for your loss

Closed Thread