It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
(male)

123do HB User
Ssa/ssi

Hi I'm New here and have Bi polar/ mixed Character with avoidabt antsocial personality traits ( whatever that means). I was diagnosed in 1992, am 46now . I was on SSI/SSA for around 3 years and figured I was fine. Went back to work for 2yrs.. layed off-- unemployment and failed in colegge, Went back to same job(a friend got me back in) Pretty much didnt do anything for the next 12 years but take to much time off, drink alot and BS my way into staying at work . Recently I had an injury at work.(back) Since then I feel as though I have been spiraling down hill fast.

I fight (verbally) with someone at work almost daily including my Bosses. I'm never happy anymore. I am always either depressed or extremly Irritable constantly.and in either case I am back to drinking heavier and more than before. Also I'm pretty sure my paranoia is getting far out of hand again . I am cureently taking Xanex, Zoloft, Lhortabs and Lamitrol (to help me get off the xanex and Zoloft).

My question is simple /. Can I get back on SSI and or SSA, and does anyopne know the current rate of monthly benefits. for a living @ home married?

I know I rambled on and on alot here, but that is just me.
Thank for any help.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:31 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

dismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB User
Re: Ssa/ssi

SSI is income based. It's a program for low income people. Your household income, savings and property are taken into consideration. SSDI is based on your work history. You need to have enough credits to qualify. I think it is 10 or 12 (not sure since I worked 10 straight years before I became disabled0. Your social security statement will tell you if you qualify and if so what your monthly benefit approx would be. It is based on your income from employment has been. Before you quit and apply see if your doctor would deem you fully disabled. If your doctor doesn't agree to that then you're pretty much screwed. If the dr agrees that you are unable to work you need to faithfully see your doctor and be med compliant. They heavy drinking will most likely work against you. Since bipolar can not be proved or disproved they rely heavily on what your doctor thinks and his letters and chart notes. I am bipolar so I have experience with this.

The Following User Says Thank You to dismama For This Useful Post:
123do (01-13-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

You probly should get a lawyer right up front to help you. The lawyer will be able to tell you what they think your chances are no one knows really knows because each case if different and is handed by different people so I don't think anyone can tell you but maybe give you some advice like the lawyer would do. Good Luck and hope some one can help you.

The Following User Says Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
123do (01-13-2011)
Old 01-12-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
(female)

msgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB User

you should not take meds and drink.. and that can definitely hurt not only you, but your chances of getting back on ssi or ssdi.... you do have to be med compliant...

The Following User Says Thank You to msgenerallee For This Useful Post:
123do (01-13-2011)
Closed Thread