HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Disabilities (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/disabilities/)
-   -   SSDI Approval, couple of questions (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/disabilities/838618-ssdi-approval-couple-questions.html)

Chronic1553 03-05-2011 05:00 AM

SSDI Approval, couple of questions

Hello all,

I was just approved for my SSDI i had applied in october of last year so it take almost exactly 5 months. I never received a letter about any type of back pay, will i receive back pay? and what about child support for the last 5 months? I was told when I applied that I would get SSI for the 5 month period and they would pay my child support. any in sight would be great, im going to by calling them monday. I know im very lucky i got approved my first try, but i also have a medical record stretching back to when i was first diagnosed at 5 years old which was 19 years ago lol.

Thanks everyone.

jgrangran 03-05-2011 08:06 AM

Re: SSDI Approval, couple of questions

Congrats for approval you are very lucky and being so young. You may not get back pay if it only took 6 months to get approved but I don"t know about child support issues but I'm glad you got approved. God Bless You and take care:):angel:

Chronic1553 03-05-2011 08:36 AM

Thanks for your reply. I am going to call them monday and just find out for sure. Regardless I am very happy I was approved.

jgrangran 03-05-2011 08:46 AM

can you please comeback and tell us how it goes Monday because it will help other with the same question. Thanks again for comming to this board as you can tell by reading other post you are extremly lucky you got approved I'm glad for you and hope your able to come back and let others know Thanks again. Bless You Take Care and again CONGRATS YEA"""""""""":):angel:

Chronic1553 03-05-2011 08:47 AM

I will definitely reply to this post as soon as i speak with them. Thanks again :D

mscat40 03-05-2011 12:40 PM

I that it is great that you were approved so quickly! When you wrote about "child support" were meaning the portion that your children will recieve on your SSDi record? If that wsa it, then your children will get a certain amount of money . I only have one son so he gets half the amount of money as I . Two children the money id plit between them. Exampke $500. each child would get $250 each. This is only for the SSDI portion.
I amk unsure about backpay for the waitiing period. Or any SSI benifits from the wating time either.
If you have not done so already, use direct deposit . Set that up through Social Security, because your money will come in faster, and it is so much more convient.
Congradulations to You :jester:

Chronic1553 03-05-2011 12:45 PM

ok so i am receiving 1300 a month and have 2 kids, they will each get 1/4 of that? and does that come out of my total 1300 or is it separate?

mscat40 03-05-2011 08:15 PM

It is separate from your income. If your kids are under age 18 they are entitled to that money off your record, but not your SSDI checks, it will be separate from yours , and will have their names on it.

SpineAZ 03-05-2011 09:08 PM

If you receive $1300/mo the child dependent SSDI is $750 (in most cases). That $750 is split between any children under 18 you have. So if you have. If you have 3 children each would get 250. When the eldest "ages out" and reaches 18 the remaining 2 kids get $375 each. When the next child ages out and turns 18 the remaining child gets $750.

SS should provide you a letter detailing the date they found you disabled. There is a five full calendar month waiting period before benefits begin. For example, I last worked in April 2009 due to my disabling conditions. My five month waiting period (which is UNPAID) is May, June, July, August, and September of 2009 and I can receive SSDI October 2009 at the earliest.

If you were a very low wage earner with very little resources or income sometimes people are eligible for SSI during the 5 month waiting period. SSI is different than SSDI. So SS should be able to clarify for you.

Chronic1553 03-06-2011 03:04 PM

Ok cool, yea im going to call them tomorrow and ask for sure. I made 0 dollars during the 5 month waiting period so id say i was very low income lol.

SpineAZ 03-06-2011 03:35 PM

It is expected that people will be making no income during the 5 no waiting period as it's required to show you are unable to work. SSI can offer some income for those months to eligible individuals. It is basedon financial need. So if you have a spouse who worked,have a savings account, other economic resources then you may not be eligible for SSI. It's very difficult to qualify financially due to strict income and resource limitations. Luckily I had employer based LTD so when my attorney filed for SSDI my attorney specifically requested I not be evaluated for SSI. My husband was working during my SSDI waiting period and unemployed for part of the time. But the $240/wk Max unemployment benefit here in AZ would in itself exclude me from SSI eligibility.

Chronic1553 03-06-2011 04:18 PM

yea i am single, and wasnt getting any unemployment. I mean its worth a shot for me calling them though. I dont get my first check until April 27th, and i dont know how much longer im even going to have a home.

Chronic1553 03-07-2011 08:00 AM

Ok well I called this morning and I will not be getting back pay. I also asked about the child support she says they need to receive something so they can garnish me. Does that mean they will be taking the money out of the money i receive?

SpineAZ 03-07-2011 08:06 AM

There is no garnishment of your SSDI for your childrens benefits. In all cases of dependent child SSDI the SS Administration must have the names, SS#, and dates of birth of all children under 18. You can take this information to SS and ask for "dependent child SSDI"

BlueSkies14 03-09-2011 01:47 PM

[QUOTE=Chronic1553;4699533]I will definitely reply to this post as soon as i speak with them. Thanks again :D[/QUOTE]Congrats. Chronic. As others have said, you are very lucky to have been approved the first time. I had a cousin approved quickly in 2009 after being DX with terminal cancer. He only received a few payments however before dying from the cancer several months after being awarded.