It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
(female)

pme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB User
Dr wouldn't fill out an RFC form

Has anyone else had their doctor refuse to take the time to fill out an RFC form? My doctor simply won't take the time to do this, even though as I understand it, it's very important to a disability case. She doesn't disagree that I'm disabled, just won't take the time to fill out the form. I hate to think I will lose because of this

Old 03-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User
Re: Dr wouldn't fill out an RFC form

Quote:
Originally Posted by pme View Post
Has anyone else had their doctor refuse to take the time to fill out an RFC form? My doctor simply won't take the time to do this, even though as I understand it, it's very important to a disability case. She doesn't disagree that I'm disabled, just won't take the time to fill out the form. I hate to think I will lose because of this
I hate these kinds of dilemma's pme. When I became sick, I was seeing a psychologist, psychiatrist, and a GP. I went on LTD and had to apply for SSDI due to a severe mental health impairment. My psychiatrist did not want to fill out the paperwork for me and I had been seeing this doctor for over a decade.

All he really wanted was to prescribe me meds which ironically were slowly making me sicker over the years. Then, many years later when I became too ill to work and needed him to fill out the LTD paperwork, he did not want to help me because he said the insurance companies were just too aggravating and he spent too much time filling out paperwork and could not devote enough time to his practice. What a piece of crap this guy was. I hate him to this day. I was merely a paying customer and not a patient as far as this bloodsucker was concerned. Luckily, I was seeing a top notch licensed clinical psychologist and he was willing to help me. I kicked my psychiatrist to the curb and I am seeing only my psychologist and PCP doctor now and they are very supportive. If you have a mental health problem, you are far better served by a psychologist than a psychiatrist IMO. Psychiatrists are all merely interested in making money. All the meds they put you on often will make you sick and sicker in the end. I feel that my nervous sys will now never again be the same. I really feel sorry for you. I hope you can find a more supportive doctor.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-18-2011 at 08:58 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
pme (03-08-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
(male)

unknown57 HB Userunknown57 HB Userunknown57 HB Userunknown57 HB Userunknown57 HB User

Quote:
Most doctors are in it for the money. Some will fill out the forms but want you to pay. Others won't likely because they are worried that if you are approved for medicare then you will either goto another doctor or that medicare will limit the money they make off you. Some doctors will but they are hard to find.

Just make sure you describe in detail your symptoms and problems to them so they will put it in their records. This the next best thing you can do.

Last edited by unknown57; 03-08-2011 at 02:04 PM.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
(female)

pme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB User

Thanks for the replies. Part of the problem is I can't be choosy with my treatment since I have no insurance. I'm stuck going to the local mental health clinic that takes low income patients. You're assigned a psychiatrist and a therapist, and if you don't like them....well tough I guess. I wish I had the option of changing doctors to try and find someone more helpful.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
(male)

Clem1 HB User

You can play his game also tell him if he will not fill it out you will have the judge issue a supeona for his testimony,

it worked for me they lose more money to have to take a whole day off to appear and usually never testify so mine wrote faster then I have ever seen a human write.

The Following User Says Thank You to Clem1 For This Useful Post:
pme (03-08-2011)
Old 03-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
(male)

unknown57 HB Userunknown57 HB Userunknown57 HB Userunknown57 HB Userunknown57 HB User

Don't push too hard they may turn on you and lie to hurt your case. I got luck and didn't need it because I have seizures but the clinic I goto is a religious based charity. The doctors there are nice but I didn't ask them to fill you out out so they could have changed.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Part of the problem is I can't be choosy with my treatment since I have no insurance. I'm stuck going to the local mental health clinic that takes low income patients. You're assigned a psychiatrist and a therapist, and if you don't like them....well tough I guess. I wish I had the option of changing doctors to try and find someone more helpful.
PME, what exactly does she say to you when you ask her to fill this out for you? Is she the only psychiatrist who works @ the mental health clinic that you go to?

Old 03-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
PME, what exactly does she say to you when you ask her to fill this out for you? Is she the only psychiatrist who works @ the mental health clinic that you go to?
She said she "doesn't get involved in that." There are other psychiatrists in the clinic, but you get assigned to someone and that's who you're stuck with. It's a mental health clinic for low income people, so it's basically you take who you get and be happy for it. I could understand if she said I don't want to say you're disabled. But all I'm asking is the RFC form to be filled out so that the judge can make that determination.

I just recently had my hearing, but am so worried about the lack of that form being in my records. The attorney said there's really nothing in my file that says what my limitations are. I'm just real worried about being found unfavorable because of this. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #9
(male)

Quote:
She said she "doesn't get involved in that." There are other psychiatrists in the clinic, but you get assigned to someone and that's who you're stuck with. It's a mental health clinic for low income people, so it's basically you take who you get and be happy for it. I could understand if she said I don't want to say you're disabled. But all I'm asking is the RFC form to be filled out so that the judge can make that determination.

I just recently had my hearing, but am so worried about the lack of that form being in my records. The attorney said there's really nothing in my file that says what my limitations are. I'm just real worried about being found unfavorable because of this. Guess I'll find out soon enough.
What did the Medical expert say your limitations were? What limitations did the judge list off when asking the Vocational Expert about your ability to work?

Last edited by unknown57; 03-08-2011 at 03:15 PM.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

sunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB User

Does your mental health agency have a consumer rights department? If it is a county agency, you have rights as a client. You can call the rights department and say that you don't want to make a complaint or anything, but that you are filing for disability and that if your doctor does not want to fill out an RFC form, your claim will not go through and it will be denied. Ask them if you could switch doctors within the county agency, because your doctor does not want to fill out the form. You can say that you don't want to make a stink about it, because you depend on the agency to be on your side and to help you with your claim.

You can also ask your doctor point blank, "If I don't get this RFC filled out, which is a requirement, I won't get disability. What would you advise someone in my situation to do?" If you can afford it, you can offer to pay her for filling out the form. I agree with unknown, pushing too hard could cause more harm than good, but you can push politely and assertively.

Last edited by sunni123; 03-08-2011 at 03:20 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to sunni123 For This Useful Post:
pme (03-08-2011)
Old 03-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #11
(female)

[QUOTE=unknown57;4701900]What did the Medical expert say your limitations were? What limitations did the judge list off when asking the Vocational Expert about your ability to work?[/QUOTE

There wasn't a medical expert at my hearing, but there was a vocational expert who at first said there were several jobs I could do. After my attorney cross-examined her, she changed her tune and said I wouldn't be able to hold down a job with my limitations. Hopefully that will help in a positive outcome.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #12
(male)

[QUOTE=pme;4701904]
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown57 View Post
What did the Medical expert say your limitations were? What limitations did the judge list off when asking the Vocational Expert about your ability to work?[/QUOTE

There wasn't a medical expert at my hearing, but there was a vocational expert who at first said there were several jobs I could do. After my attorney cross-examined her, she changed her tune and said I wouldn't be able to hold down a job with my limitations. Hopefully that will help in a positive outcome.
I was gonna say if a ME said you had limitations then that would mostly likely be what the judge would consider. It will all come down to if the judge believes you have the limitations your lawyer brought up. Also if the SSA sent you to one of their doctors they would have listed the limitations they thought you had.

Last edited by unknown57; 03-08-2011 at 03:29 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to unknown57 For This Useful Post:
pme (03-08-2011)
Old 03-09-2011, 05:56 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

You can't be too assertive but you must push back a little to get this guy to budge. It really irks me when doctors are reluctant to fill out all the necessary paperwork to help a patient with a legitimate disability claim not because they don't think the person is disabled but b/c they think it will consume too much of their precious time and take away from the six figure income. I mean if all doctors start doing this, then what is the purpose of having any kind of disability insurance....either public or private. The insurance companies or government get to take your money with zero liability when you file a disability claim because doctors are too busy to fill out the necessary forms and thus you can't be considered disabled unless the doctor fills out the necessary forms. What a heck of a catch 22 I suppose. The whole disability process from applying to approval and CDR's after approval needs to be streamlined IMO. Even tho one might be unable to work now, obtaining the disability benefits you deserve and worked and paid for becomes almost your new fulltime job. I have a mental health impairment and this whole process just makes me feel worse from all the stress and aggravation involved.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-02-2011 at 11:44 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
pme (03-09-2011)
Old 03-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

sunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
Yeah I agree with this. You can't be too assertive but you must push back a little to get this guy to bulge. It really irks me when doctors are reluctant to fill out all the necessary paperwork to help a patient with a legitimate disability claim not because they don't think the person is disabled but b/c they think it will consume too much of their precious time and take away from the six figure income. I mean if all doctors start doing this, then what is the purpose of having any kind of disability insurance....either public or private. The insurance companies or government get to take your money with zero liability when you file a disability claim because doctors are too busy to fill out the necessary forms and thus you can't be considered disabled unless the doctor fills out the necessary forms. What a heck of a catch 22 I suppose. The whole disability process from applying to approval and CDR's after approval needs to be streamlined IMO. Even tho one might be unable to work now, obtaining the disability benefits you deserve and worked and paid for becomes almost your new fulltime job. I have a mental health impairment and this whole process just makes me feel worse from all the stress and aggravation involved.
Same here! It is a fulltime job. You have to be your own advocate all the way. Someone can help you file or a firm can help, but it boils down to your interaction with the people who have your life in their hands. All the legal help in the world won't make a difference if one stubborn doctor won't budge.

The Following User Says Thank You to sunni123 For This Useful Post:
BlueSkies14 (03-17-2011)
Old 03-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

If I or a close family member win the lottery tomorrow, I would drop both my LTD and SSDI claims and say to hell with the whole thing and spare myself the aggravation.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-02-2011 at 11:41 AM.

Closed Thread