It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
(male)

ManOhManUSA HB User
Whats going on here? SSD SSI

Hi I just won my SSD case on the 17th of last month. I revived the "Fully Favorable" decision. My claim was for Period of Disability, Disability insurance benefits, and SSI. The ALJ told my at my hearing he was going to aprove me.
BTW My attreny said she had never seen a judge do that. It's always by mail.

Anyway's two days ago I revived a letter from SSA telling my I have to come in and report on income etc for SSI. I thought I was getting SSD and it's would pay more then SSI. I payed in, and was fully vested.

So my questions are.
1. I'm I going to get my SSD? why am I geting a letter for SSI.
2.Should I not receive some letter that says. I well revive this much, and some much back pay? Like an award letter?

I just am confused as to why I have to goto SSA in a few days for SSI, when I should be getting SSD.

I also got my letter to come in for SSI 2 days before the letter from the law judge saying I won. ..

I'm just a tad concerned because SSI would be around 650 a month and my SSD would be over $1200.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User
Re: Whats going on here? SSD SSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOhManUSA View Post
Hi I just won my SSD case on the 17th of last month. I revived the "Fully Favorable" decision. My claim was for Period of Disability, Disability insurance benefits, and SSI. The ALJ told my at my hearing he was going to aprove me.

Anyway's two days ago I revived a letter from SSA telling my I have to come in and report on income etc for SSI. I thought I was getting SSD and it's would pay more then SSI. I payed in, and was fully vested.

So my questions are.
2.Should I not receive some letter that says. I well revive this much, and some much back pay? Like an award letter?

I just am confused as to why I have to goto SSA in a few days for SSI, when I should be getting SSD.

I also got my letter to come in for SSI 2 days before the letter from the law judge saying I won. ..

I'm just a tad concerned because SSI would be around 650 a month and my SSD would be over $1200.
Congrats on the favorable decision. If the SSDI amount is $1200 which is greater than the SSI amount, I don't think you'd be eligible for SSI. There are those I think where the SSDI amount is small (less than SSI) and thus some ppl do qualify for both. Perhaps, SSI is $650 and SSDI is $550 for a $1200 total. Congrats again friend. There are many knowledgeable people like SpineAZ, mscat40, and others who post on this board regularly that know more about the process than I do.

Last edited by BlueSkies14; 04-01-2011 at 10:12 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
ManOhManUSA (04-01-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2011, 10:13 PM   #3
(male)

ManOhManUSA HB User

That's why I'm wondering why I got a letter asking me to come in for SSI.

I thought I should get a award letter 1st or something. and the 1200 came from the
benefits calculator on the SSA web page where you enter how much you made every year. My lawyer did it for me.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
However, there is a third category and that category is called a concurrent claim. A concurrent disability claim exists when a person has coverage, or insured status, for social security disability, but, due to their earnings record, is expected to receive a small disability benefit (less than the full SSI monthly benefit). For such individuals, a concurrent claim for both social security disability and SSI may possibly be filed.

The thinking behind concurrent claims is that a person who qualifies for social security disability should be able to receive a benefit amount no less than the amount currently received by SSI disability beneficiaries---assuming, of course, that one meets the requirements of both the social security disability (title II) and SSI (title 16) programs.
HTH

Old 04-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOhManUSA View Post

So my questions are.

I had the same thing happen to me. I got the approval letter, and it said it was for the medical part, then they set up an appointment for me to go in the social security office.
I went, and was asked what I wanted, SSI or SSDI. Aparently, I qualified for both. Knowinly, the SSi was going to be a smaller amount, I chose SSDI.
The other thing I can think of is your work history and if you had enough work credits to qualify you for SSDI benifits. If not then social security would primalrily look at your eligibility for SSI. SSI is strictly income based and it is typically used for people who do not have enough work credits to qualify. Children can recieve SSI , and if their parent recieves SSDI the child recieves half of what the parent is geting.
When you go into the SSA for your appointment , be sure to ask them about why it is SSI and not SSDI. Again you might just qualify for both, if the SSDI amount is low enough, but over 1200 a month would not give you SSI too.
Social Security will send you your award letter, and tell you why you had won and your date of disability . I did not find out anything either until I went to the appointment.

Last edited by mscat40; 04-02-2011 at 02:46 PM.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

When you apply, unless you specifically state you are not applying for SSI, they evaluate you for both. They have found you disabled and for SSDI there is a 5 month waiting period. If your SSDI is low you may be eligible for some SSI also. Or you may be eligible for SSI during any period, such as the 5 month waiting period.

My attorney specifically stated on my application that I was applying only for SSDI as they verified I would not qualify for SSI at any time due to employer Short Term Disability and Long Term Disability which were beyond the SSI income limit.

If you have assets, have a spouse bringing in reasonable salary,had STD/LTD during the 5 month waiting period, etc you will not qualify for SSI. But, SS doesn't know your personal financial situation. I'm not sure if your attorney can contact them and state you are not eligible for SSI (IF indeed you have assets, other household income from spouse, etc).

SS has determined you meet the definition of disability for SSI and SSDI, but the question they have is if you qualify for SSI financially

http://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-eligibility-ussi.htm

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpineAZ For This Useful Post:
BlueSkies14 (04-02-2011), jgrangran (04-04-2011), ManOhManUSA (04-02-2011)
Old 04-02-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
(male)

ManOhManUSA HB User

As I said in my 1st post "I payed in, and was fully vested"
Guess I will just have to see what happens in a few days at my meeting.

Also this is what I got from the lawyer using the SSA benefit calculation program.

Name: Me
SSN 555-55-5555
Sex: M
DOB: 6/12/1971
Disabled on September 01, 2007
Benefits started in April 2011 at age 39 and 10 months

Wage=Indexd Formula (1977 act)
PIA=1,080.00
MFB=1,620.00

Special Minimum
PIA=0.00
MFB=1,620.00

Index Monthly earnings = 1,886
Primary Insurance amount = 1,080.00
Number of months increment = 0
Delayed increment factor = 1.0
Benefit before rounding =1,080.00
Benefit after rounding =1,080.00
Maximum benefit =1,620.00

Also this

Insured status

Fully Insured status:
Required quarters of coverage: 14
Actual quarters of coverage : 67
Insured status: Fully insured

Disability Insured status:
Period before disabilty: qtr 3 of 1999 to qtr 2 2009
Elapsed quarters of coverage: 40
required quarters of coverage: 20
Actual quarters of coverage: 38
Insured status: Disability insured

Guess I will just have to see what happens in a few days at my meeting. I just don't understand the SSI thing, I can't get it. So why are SSA asking me to show up and show income etc.

EDIT: Thanks SpineAZ I was typing up my post and did not see your post 1st.

Last edited by ManOhManUSA; 04-02-2011 at 03:15 PM. Reason: SpineAZhelping me out :D

Old 04-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Ths SSI part is only a routine thing that social security does. I would not be worried about it. They just have to make certain tht you do not qualify for it, but if their is a slight chance that you do meet the criteria, then it will be in your favor. LIke i said before, they did the same thing to me.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (04-04-2011)
Closed Thread