It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #1
(female)

pme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB User
Question Consultative Exam

Ok, now I'm really confused. I had my hearing in February so I called today to check on the status. They told me that the judge is sending me for a consultative exam. This strikes me as strange since I've already had my hearing. I thought this was usually done well before a hearing date, if needed. I have a solid history with my psychiatrist and therapist so there should be more than enough records. I wonder if this has to do with the fact that my psychiatrist wouldn't help by filling out an RFC form, so he wants one of their doctors to do it. Any thoughts? And what should I expect from the consultative exam?

The following 4 users give hugs of support to: pme
BlueSkies14 (04-06-2011), jgrangran (04-07-2011), LadyVols (04-19-2011), sunni123 (04-06-2011)
Old 04-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User
Re: Consultative Exam

Hmmm....odd PME after the ALJ hearing. Did they send you to any SSDI doc(s) prior to the ALJ? A good psychiatrist is a rare find these days. Most are only interested in drugging you to death and making money off you sadly. A lot of them won't even assist you with disability claims. It should be mandatory that these mental health professionals that you have been seeing for years keep detailed records and co-operate and help you when you need to file a claim for LTD or SSDI. Perhaps, you are right and all this could have been avoided had your shrink just filled out the RFC form for you. All my shrink did for me was drug me to death and then when all my meds quit working and I was in agony, he wanted to then abandon me. I sincerely believe in my heart that hell has a special place waiting on this guy when he dies and I had been seeing this jerk for almost 20 years.

Last edited by BlueSkies14; 04-06-2011 at 09:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2011, 09:32 AM   #3
(female)

pme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB Userpme HB User

Nope, I never had to go to one before. On one hand, at least the judge isn't denying me right off the bat, but now I'm a little worried about what to expect at the exam. I wonder if it holds as much weight as my regular doctor's records?

Old 04-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #4
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pme View Post
Nope, I never had to go to one before. On one hand, at least the judge isn't denying me right off the bat, but now I'm a little worried about what to expect at the exam. I wonder if it holds as much weight as my regular doctor's records?
It will hold a lot of weight > Because those Dr's are working for social security, and this is a way for S.S to find out more about you. What you can and cannot do. In a good way it could prove again that you are disabled enough to need to be on social security.
i have seen this happen, and the mother left her child off his meds, so he would be hyper and out of control during the exam. Well it backfired on them. The DR first question was is he on his meds? NO , so they gave him his meds, and then the Dr. talked to the chlld> needless to say they denied him, due to the fact that when he is taking hi meds he is calm , and not a problem.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (04-07-2011), pme (04-06-2011)
Old 04-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Often, SSDI will send you to a licensed clinical psychologist. They know more about all the testing and how to interpret them than psychiatrists. This is who SSDI sent me to see pme. All most psychiatrists can do now days is prescribe you a drug or a series of drugs and hope to find some combination that works and gives you relief. It is often a crap-shoot. Modern psychiatry nearly killed me but I also admit I had a bad doctor who kept giving me all these mental health DX's and wanting to experiment on me with different drugs. He never wanted to sit down and talk to me about what I was experiencing. Often, this is all the patient wants sometimes...to be listened to and understood.

Last edited by BlueSkies14; 04-06-2011 at 09:50 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
pme (04-06-2011)
Old 04-06-2011, 09:52 AM   #6
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
Often, SSDI will send you to a licensed clinical psychologist. They know more about all the testing and how to interpret them than psychiatrists. This is who SSDI sent me to see pme. All most psychiatrists can do now days is prescribe you a drug or a series of drugs and hope to find some combination that works and gives you relief. It is often a crap-shoot. Modern psychiatry nearly killed me but I also admit I had a bad doctor who kept giving me all these mental health DX's and wanting to experiment on me with different drugs. He never wanted to sit down and talk to me about what I was experiencing. Often, this is all the patient wants sometimes...to be listened to and understood.
When they sent you for your psychological exam, what did it entail? What kinds of questions were asked and how long did it take?

Old 04-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

I see your question pme. I will respond back in detail. I have to run a few quick errands. I will be back in about an hour.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

sunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB User

Are you working with an attorney pme? If so, s/he can help with the process, such as making sure the CE was conducted professionally, had all your records prior to examining you and possibly ordering a new one or filing an objection in case it was not done properly. An attorney can ask your ALJ to have the report clarified if needed. You have rights. From what people say, CEs seem to vary widely so you never know what to expect. You may be given cognitive tests or asked how you spend your day or the side effects of medications if any. Hope it helps you to relax when you realize that CEs are bound to a certain minimum standard of professionalism.

The Following User Says Thank You to sunni123 For This Useful Post:
pme (04-06-2011)
Old 04-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #9
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamonrose View Post
Are you working with an attorney pme? If so, s/he can help with the process, such as making sure the CE was conducted professionally, had all your records prior to examining you and possibly ordering a new one or filing an objection in case it was not done properly. An attorney can ask your ALJ to have the report clarified if needed. You have rights. From what people say, CEs seem to vary widely so you never know what to expect. You may be given cognitive tests or asked how you spend your day or the side effects of medications if any. Hope it helps you to relax when you realize that CEs are bound to a certain minimum standard of professionalism.
Yes, I do have an attorney that I'm working with. I will have to give her office a call to see if they know anything.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

pme>>>>>Here is what I recall. My memory is pretty bad because of all the years I spent taking benzodiazepines like xanax, klonopin, and valium for my mental health disorder. SS sent me to a licensed clinical psychologist. The exam took approx. 2 hours. The psychologist had 2 other mental health professionals working with him. One was a woman and the other a man. I saw the woman 1st, then the psychologist, and then the other guy last.

The woman administered a series of tests to determine my cognitive abilities and/or impairments....mostly memory and intellect. I recall her showing me a series of like numbers and I had to repeat them back to her(stuff like that). It starts off easy and then gets progressively harder. I guess they want to see how much you are impaired. The intellect part consisted of like logic puzzles and some simple and moderately hard math problems. I recall them asking questions like when Bill Clinton was president, who was his vice president? I answered Al Gore and got that one correct. There were more that I got right and some I could not answer. You just need to be honest and do the best you can. These ppl are good at spotting ppl who are trying to fake it and appear worse than they really are so you never want to do that. If you know the answer, give the correct answer and if you don't know, just say I don't know. This took maybe 45 minutes.

Next came the psychologist. He simply wanted to know my medical history and why I was now unable to work so I told him. This took about 15-20 minutes I think. The whole time I was talking, he was entering stuff into his laptop PC. He did not ask me too many other questions except what meds I was now on.

Then the last guy I talked to took about an hour. He wanted a much more detailed medical history than the psychologist. He did ask a lot of specific questions like what different doctors I had seen over the years, inpatient/outpatient psychiatric hospital stays, medications, my work history, what my days were like now. I also recall him asking me to rate on a scale from 1 to 10 with 10 being the worst, how bad was I. I rated a 9 that day b/c I was having horrible anxiety that particular day and I did not even want to go for the CE b/c I was feeling so horrible. I told him some days are a little better but that this day was horrible for me. He also had a laptop and entered info. in as I was talking. This was the longest of the 3 ppl I saw that day. It was not bad pme. Just be honest and tell them what/how you feel. HTH

jgrangran (04-07-2011)
Old 04-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #11
(female)

Quote:
pme>>>>>Here is what I recall. My memory is pretty bad because of all the years I spent taking benzodiazepines like xanax, klonopin, and valium for my mental health disorder. SS sent me to a licensed clinical psychologist. The exam took approx. 2 hours. The psychologist had 2 other mental health professionals working with him. One was a woman and the other a man. I saw the woman 1st, then the psychologist, and then the other guy last.

The woman administered a series of tests to determine my cognitive abilities and/or impairments....mostly memory and intellect. I recall her showing me a series of like numbers and I had to repeat them back to her(stuff like that). It starts off easy and then gets progressively harder. I guess they want to see how much you are impaired. The intellect part consisted of like logic puzzles and some simple and moderately hard math problems. I recall them asking questions like when Bill Clinton was president, who was his vice president? I answered Al Gore and got that one correct. There were more that I got right and some I could not answer. You just need to be honest and do the best you can. These ppl are good at spotting ppl who are trying to fake it and appear worse than they really are so you never want to do that. If you know the answer, give the correct answer and if you don't know, just say I don't know. This took maybe 45 minutes.

Next came the psychologist. He simply wanted to know my medical history and why I was now unable to work so I told him. This took about 15-20 minutes I think. The whole time I was talking, he was entering stuff into his laptop PC. He did not ask me too many other questions except what meds I was now on.

Then the last guy I talked to took about an hour. He wanted a much more detailed medical history than the psychologist. He did ask a lot of specific questions like what different doctors I had seen over the years, inpatient/outpatient psychiatric hospital stays, medications, my work history, what my days were like now. I also recall him asking me to rate on a scale from 1 to 10 with 10 being the worst, how bad was I. I rated a 9 that day b/c I was having horrible anxiety that particular day and I did not even want to go for the CE b/c I was feeling so horrible. I told him some days are a little better but that this day was horrible for me. He also had a laptop and entered info. in as I was talking. This was the longest of the 3 ppl I saw that day. It was not bad pme. Just be honest and tell them what/how you feel. HTH
Thanks for the very detailed response BlueSkies, I really appreciate it. Now I know what to expect which makes me feel a little better. Still not sure why they are sending me now, after the hearing. Thanks again!

The following user gives a hug of support to pme:
jgrangran (04-07-2011)
Old 04-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

The CE was really not that bad pme. The SSA doctors are really impartial IMO. If anything, I think the exam will solidify your claim and help you obtain approval. After my CE, I left with the impression that it helped to prove my disability claim. The doctors are not out to get you or look for things to deny your claim. It helps you more than anything IMO.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
LadyVols (04-20-2011), pme (04-06-2011)
Old 04-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #13
(female)

Quote:
The CE was really not that bad pme. The SSA doctors are really impartial IMO. If anything, I think the exam will solidify your claim and help you obtain approval. After my CE, I left with the impression that it helped to prove my disability claim. The doctors are not out to get you or look for things to deny your claim. It helps you more than anything IMO.
Did they give you any information before you left, as far as what they were going to put in their reports to SS?

Old 04-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Did they give you any information before you left, as far as what they were going to put in their reports to SS?
NO but both the psychologist and the guy who took the extensive medical history said verbally to me they were going to submit their reports quickly, they both wished me good luck on my claim, said that I was definitely qualified for SSDI, and told me not to be disappointed if I was denied initially but to keep appealing. They know the process is long and frustrating for most ppl.

pme (04-07-2011)
Old 04-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #15
(female)

Quote:
NO but both the psychologist and the guy who took the extensive medical history said verbally to me they were going to submit their reports quickly, they both wished me good luck on my claim, said that I was definitely qualified for SSDI, and told me not to be disappointed if I was denied initially but to keep appealing. They know the process is long and frustrating for most ppl.
It sounds like you had a really good experience. I hope mine goes as smoothly. I keep reading about how so many people at these exams are treated rudely. Thanks for all the information.

Closed Thread