It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2011, 09:17 AM  
(male)

BradinCA HB UserBradinCA HB UserBradinCA HB UserBradinCA HB UserBradinCA HB User
Do they drug test you during a 'mental exam' (please do not judge)

Hi guys,

I have a 'mental exam' scheduled for Thursday (today is Monday)... I have 2 questions. First; Will they do a drug test on me? The reason I ask is because I use marijuana once or twice per month for my pain. It is legal in California. I have a legal medical marijuana card that my doctor gave me. But on a Federal level it is illegal. I have not smoked in 1 week. On Thursday it will have been 10 days.

2nd question: What goes on, in a mental exam exactly? Should I bring the medications I have taken in the past?

The following user gives a hug of support to BradinCA:
jgrangran (04-18-2011)
Old 04-18-2011, 10:31 AM  
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User
Re: Do they drug test you during a 'mental exam' (please do not judge)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradinCA View Post
Hi guys,

I have a 'mental exam' scheduled for Thursday (today is Monday)... I have 2 questions. First; Will they do a drug test on me? The reason I ask is because I use marijuana once or twice per month for my pain. It is legal in California. I have a legal medical marijuana card that my doctor gave me. But on a Federal level it is illegal. I have not smoked in 1 week. On Thursday it will have been 10 days.

2nd question: What goes on, in a mental exam exactly? Should I bring the medications I have taken in the past?
1. I had both a mental and physical exam. Neither time was I drug tested for illegal drugs.
2. They tell you to bring Rx meds you're taking but I don't know why as long as you are able to recall from memory what you are taking. They did not ask to physically see the meds I am taking but they did ask me what meds I was taking. My guess is that they will not drug test you for illegal substances. If they do and they find MJ in your system, you are taking it legally and it was Rx'ed by a doctor so I would not worry too much about it. Don't worry about the mental health exam. They administer a series of tests to determine your cognitive abilities and/or impairments. They make you do things like countdown from one hundred by a certain #, might ask you who the president is, have you do some simple and moderately difficult math problems, etc...stuff like that. The psychologist or psychiatrist will probably also interview you about your disability and take a brief medical history. Just be honest with them.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
BradinCA (04-18-2011), jgrangran (04-18-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2011, 10:50 AM  
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

BradinCA, Don't worry about people on this board judging you everyone on this board are here to help. everyone has there own problems dealing with ssa I know no one would judge you but I am puzzled if mj is legal in CA how is it illegal by the fedral level like the state says yes I confused? Good Luck on your exams please come back and let us all know as it helps other that have the same thing going on.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
BlueSkies14 (04-18-2011), BradinCA (04-18-2011)
Old 04-18-2011, 11:05 AM  
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Like jgrangran asked, why do they consider it illegal on a Federal level if you can smoke it legally in Ca.? Do you mean it is generally considered illegal except in some unusual circumstances like when it is Rx'ed by a doctor? In any case, you are not doing anything illegal. It might even work to your advantage if marijuana is the only thing you can take that helps your pain. I personally consider marijuana mild and much less problematic than some of the more potent Rx pain pills like oxycotin for example.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:14 AM  
(male)

BradinCA HB UserBradinCA HB UserBradinCA HB UserBradinCA HB UserBradinCA HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
Like jgrangran asked, why do they consider it illegal on a Federal level if you can smoke it legally in Ca.? Do you mean it is generally considered illegal except in some unusual circumstances like when it is Rx'ed by a doctor? In any case, you are not doing anything illegal. It might even work to your advantage if marijuana is the only thing you can take that helps your pain. I personally consider marijuana mild and much less problematic than some of the more potent Rx pain pills like oxycotin for example.
Okay, there are many things that are legal on state levels that are illegal on a federal level. For instance, gay marriage is legal in the state of Iowa, but it is not federally recognized. In 1996, the people in my State of California passed a prop, declaring that marijuana is legal for those who need it medically.
Doctors in the State of California can give you a Medical Marijuana ID Card, and this card let's me go to dispensaries to legally buy marijuana.

In the past (as early as 50 years ago) it was illegal for whites to marry blacks. Then, certain states passed laws that made it legal for them to get married. Eventually federal courts made it legal for all people to marry.

Sorry for going off on a tangent.

But there are many things that are LEGAL in states, that are NOT legal on a federal level.

Hope it kinda clears it up.

Love u all.

Last edited by BradinCA; 04-18-2011 at 11:17 AM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BradinCA For This Useful Post:
BlueSkies14 (04-18-2011), jgrangran (04-18-2011)
Old 04-18-2011, 11:25 AM  
Inactive
(male)

Thanks BradinCA for the explanation. Now, I fully understand. What is the nature of your disability? Btw, I have never heard of anyone being drug tested @ a SSDI exam. I guess they would have a reason to do this if the sole reason for your disability was from a drug addiction. Most SSDI ppl take drugs (legally) b/c of some disability and are not disabled due to taking the drugs.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (04-18-2011)
Old 04-18-2011, 11:29 AM  
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
Thanks BradinCA for the explanation. Now, I fully understand. What is the nature of your disability? Btw, I have never heard of anyone being drug tested @ a SSDI exam. I guess they would have a reason to do this if the sole reason for your disability was from a drug addiction. Most SSDI ppl take drugs (legally) b/c of some disability and are not disabled due to taking the drugs.
I suffer from neuroleptic seizures. I am really glad that they will not drug test. I was so worried. I feel better now..but I am still nervous about the meeting. ugh, I hate being put under scrutiny.

The following user gives a hug of support to BradinCA:
jgrangran (04-18-2011)
Old 04-18-2011, 11:47 AM  
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

Believe me everyone hates this process even the one's that got approved early on it is a very weird process some people have the exact same illness but don't get approved its not so cut and dry. so the not knowing and the future is basicly in someone elses hand so far as disablility goes. I am with Blueskies on the drug issues I have seen what being addicted to drugs legal drugs mind you from RX. While I am not one that was addicted my family members were and thats why if I listen to the DR in the past I probly would of been one of them addicted. anyway still Good Luck to you try not to worry and if you can please come back and let us know how you think your exams went and I think you can sigh something so the results can be sent to your Primary DR. so maybe you can get an ideal what way they(DR's ) are leaning.

Last edited by jgrangran; 04-18-2011 at 11:48 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
BlueSkies14 (04-18-2011)
Old 04-18-2011, 12:11 PM  
Inactive
(male)

Good suggestion jgrangran. Be sure and have the results forwarded to your PCP. I had my mental health exam results sent to my psychologist.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (04-18-2011)
Old 04-18-2011, 03:01 PM  
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

I have not had to go to a menatl health exam for Social Security, but I stronly doubt they will test you .
What I am thinking about is when you do go to your regular DR. and they do routine blood tests. When you filled your paperwork for Social Security , giving all your medical information or the Dr's address, phone numbers you seen . It may come up then.
I Social Security has people fill out functional reports. If you have not done so already, I would tell them straight out that u use it for your pain management , and have a card . I would photocopy the card as proof that you can use this for medical purposes. I don't see it as a problem because you do have proof and can verify it.
The worst thing to try and do is "not" report it, because if and when Social Security does find out it could have a negative impact on your claim. So it's best just to let them know. And what DR. gave you the perscription , how much you need to take , and what it does for your pain.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
BradinCA (04-18-2011), jgrangran (04-18-2011)
Old 04-18-2011, 03:38 PM  
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good point Mscat40, Its best to be up front with it. And its always agood ideal to copy everthing you sent to ssa and call to see if they get it. I think maybe the lawyer do that I think.