It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2011, 06:02 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

dismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB User
SSDI for cancer?

I know I can probably find the answer on the govt website but you guys are quicker. It looks like my friends husband may have cancer. His white blood cell count is off the charts. They've ruled out one form of lukemia but are still waiting for the results of 3 others. They did a bone marrow biopsy yesterday and they won't have the results back until Tuesday. He hasn't worked in over a month since he started having issues with his white count. What are the basic things he would need to have happen for him to receive ssdi? Thanks in advance.

The following user gives a hug of support to dismama:
jgrangran (04-29-2011)
Old 04-29-2011, 06:41 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User
Re: SSDI for cancer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismama View Post
I know I can probably find the answer on the govt website but you guys are quicker. It looks like my friends husband may have cancer. His white blood cell count is off the charts. They've ruled out one form of lukemia but are still waiting for the results of 3 others. They did a bone marrow biopsy yesterday and they won't have the results back until Tuesday. He hasn't worked in over a month since he started having issues with his white count. What are the basic things he would need to have happen for him to receive ssdi? Thanks in advance.
As soon as he gets the results back, I would talk to the treating doctor if he thinks he may be unable to work for a year or longer. The doctor is the key to SSDI and LTD. W/O a supportive doctor, you essentially have no case. After speaking with the doctor, you should be able to get a feel about how you should proceed. There is a 5 month waiting period for SSDI before any benefits can be paid but I would file immediately.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (04-29-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

also they have this thing called compassionate allowance that he will probly be able to do. I hope he will get the kid of help he needs fast please keep us updated if you can. Our prayers are with him I glad he has a caring friend like you.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

dismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrangran View Post
also they have this thing called compassionate allowance that he will probly be able to do. I hope he will get the kid of help he needs fast please keep us updated if you can. Our prayers are with him I glad he has a caring friend like you.
Thanks. Right now it's a bunch of waiting. They are taking their kids and going away for the weekend to try and relax a little. The have horrible insurance so I know that has to be weighing on them.

The Following User Says Thank You to dismama For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (04-29-2011)
Old 04-29-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

If the man has enough work credits to qualify for SSDI , and the results of the testing comes back , proving he does have cancer, then it should not be that difficult to be approved. He will need his Dr's support, and all the nemas and address'ss of these dr's he has seen and the ones helping him treat the cancer. I know that they treat cancer by chemo, or surgery. So he is in for a long haul.
My friends toddler had cancer, and was easily approved for SSI. The child is now 8 years old and is cancer free, but has to be checked periodically to make sure it has not come back.
Yes he has a high precentage of a approval. They need to get started on the paperwork ASAP. A lot of things can now be done online to make the process go faster. Such as filing for the adult disability report, all done online. This will speed up the process for him and his family.

Last edited by mscat40; 04-29-2011 at 02:25 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (04-29-2011)
Closed Thread