It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
(female)

Ellie1962 HB UserEllie1962 HB UserEllie1962 HB UserEllie1962 HB User
No Disability Review

Way back in February I got notice from the SSA that I had to fill out the enclosed Disability Update Review form. I sent it back and hadn't heard anything for the longest time. I began to worry that they didn't even get it....next time I have to send back anything to the SSA I am sending it certified so I will know it got there. I called twice and got two different opinions from two different people. In any event, I finally received a simple form letter from them telling me that they had written saying they may do a review and that they have decided not to do a review but will contact me in the future if this is necessary. It didn't say when a review might be done, and it also said they will not be contacting my doctor. I had two psychiatric hospitalizations less than a year ago and I suspect they checked my Medicare claims. I am wondering if anybody has ever received a response from the SSA like this and when a review was actually done. The letter said "if" they do a review in the future, not "when" so my therapist told me to stop having anxiety about it. I am in mental health appointments several times a week and am trying to get well. I am grateful, of course, that I was passed over for a review although I'm sure a review would have proved I am still disabled. Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience and how long the SSA waited until doing a review, if one was done?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB User
Re: No Disability Review

Sorry don't have the answer but can only tell you that you did the best you could. You sent forms to them that they needed. It is a good sign that they elected not to review you at this time, because a review would stress anybody out, no matter the outcome. It may have just been a form letter saying that they may do a review in the future, not necessarily indicating a set commitment to a future time. i hear SS is so backlogged and underfunded that reviews may be on the backburner; due to this issue, many people aren't getting the reviews that they expected. It is a good sign. Just concentrate on getting well and going to your Drs appointments. Best wishes

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunni123 For This Useful Post:
BlueSkies14 (05-02-2011), jgrangran (05-02-2011)
Old 05-01-2011, 11:18 PM   #3
(female)

Thanks. Therapists at my mental health clinic told me everybody is getting update forms. Said the government is trying to fix the budget by seeing who can work. I'm glad the SSA was fair to me.

The following user gives a hug of support to Ellie1962:
jgrangran (05-02-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Ellie1962 For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (05-02-2011)
Old 05-02-2011, 01:53 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

I think SSA is just so backlogged. How long have you been on SSDI? How long did it take you to get approved?

Last edited by Administrator; 06-02-2011 at 12:23 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (05-02-2011)
Old 05-02-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

dismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB User

Just wondering how long you have been receiving disability? I was approved last june and was told I would be reviewed after one year. So that means next month. My husband and I am super stressed about it since I could lose my benefits. No pdoc and my tdoc both think I shouldn't have a problem with the review. It's not like bipolar can be cured. I'm more stable now but little things like stress can make me manic. Even themost simple of part time jobs can cause me to become manic.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismama View Post
Just wondering how long you have been receiving disability? I was approved last june and was told I would be reviewed after one year. So that means next month. My husband and I am super stressed about it since I could lose my benefits. No pdoc and my tdoc both think I shouldn't have a problem with the review. It's not like bipolar can be cured. I'm more stable now but little things like stress can make me manic. Even themost simple of part time jobs can cause me to become manic.
Was it difficult for you to get approved dismama? How old are you if you don't mind me asking? I know what a pdoc is but what is a tdoc. I assume therapist doc? Ellie1962 said>>>>>
Quote:
Thanks. Therapists at my mental health clinic told me everybody is getting update forms. Said the government is trying to fix the budget by seeing who can work. I'm glad the SSA was fair to me.
This makes sense but I hope SSA does not start dropping people
unjustly in a vain effort to save money in trying to fix what they say is wrong.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #7
(female)

I have been on disability since 2007. I had my hearing after being denied. Most people in my area are denied at least once and then have had to get a lawyer. I know most other people at my clinic got the same form I did. Do they do this by zip code or something? I know people on SSI who have not been reviewed in 10 years. I was told everyone on disability who is due one is now going to hear from the SSA because of the budget. Seems so many people got notice of a possible review here. I was thinking I got a notice of no review now because of my health, not the backlog at the SSA. The form says they check claims, and i had hospitalizations, which the form asks about. I had to write my diagnosis and if I had recent appointments for my illness, and it asked if my health was the same or worse. It took them 2 months to send me notice of no review. I had been told when I called the general number that my returning the form wasn't even logged into the system, and when I called the next month I was told the form wouldn't have been logged in anyway until a decision was made. I had a lot of anxiety thinking they didn't receive my form. My advice to other people is to send any mail to the SSA certified so you get a receipt back saying it was received. This is what caused me the most anxiety, as I had 30 days to respond and did so within the first week.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:27 AM   #8
(female)

Whatever you do, if you get forms to fill out send them back certified mail, return receipt requested. My anxiety was heightened when time passed and I didn't hear anything yet, so I began to wonder if my form was received. I think the SSA is contacting a lot of people right now. People at my mental health clinic are all talking about it. I think claims are checked and if a review is requested you send medical reports, etc.

BlueSkies14 (05-02-2011)
Old 05-02-2011, 09:42 AM   #9
(female)

A disability lawyer told me it is standard practice of the SSA to see if a review is necessary usually after 3 years of getting on disability. Read all instructions with any form you get. Usually it says you can send a doctor's report back with an update form, and this saves the government time and money if they see doing a review on you would indicate you are still disabled. I too hope that the SSA doesn't start throwing people off disability before they are well enough to work. This can cause a lot of problems in society, including homelessness. I am grateful for my benefits. I don't take anything for granted.

Last edited by Ellie1962; 05-02-2011 at 09:46 AM.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie1962 View Post
Whatever you do, if you get forms to fill out send them back certified mail, return receipt requested. My anxiety was heightened when time passed and I didn't hear anything yet, so I began to wonder if my form was received. I think the SSA is contacting a lot of people right now. People at my mental health clinic are all talking about it. I think claims are checked and if a review is requested you send medical reports, etc.
Good tip Ellie. Thanks....what is the cause of your disability? I have severe anxiety and depression.

Last edited by BlueSkies14; 05-02-2011 at 10:03 AM.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #11
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

I was also told that I was due for a CDR in March of this year. I never recieved anything for it. So I think that is a good thing. Perhaps they are so backlogged , that they are looking the other way on these CDR's. I know my disability's have not improved though, but I am more stable then I have been. So holding my own. However, live in a very reclusive lifestyle. If Ihave to go out to even grocery shop my brother is always with me helping. I do not get out og the apt much by myself . The CDR could happen at anytime though. But I think I am ready for it.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #12
(female)

I have three serious mental illness diagnoses and have had many health problems the past two years. I know it is practice for the SSA to review people, but I can't figure out why some people just don't even get reviewed at all. Are these people who slip through the system. I met a married couple at my clinic who have not ever gotten a review notice in the 10 years they've been on disabled. Getting a review notice puts the fear of God into you. I had visions of homelessness and eviction when I got my notice. It took me a long time to calm down. And I'm truly disabled. The people I know who have never gotten a review notice spend their benefit money on alcohol. A lot of it. Every day. I'm surprised they even feed their two kids, who both have ADD and these people get disability money for the kids too. These kids are in holey clothes and are fairly neglected at home. Seems to me sometimes the government checks up on the wrong people. I had a past career and get ample benefits to pay bills until last year when I then had many medical bills to pay because of my hospitalizations. I have not been able to buy food for months and depend on the food bank. I have had no money for some prescriptions, one being cholesterol medication I cannot afford the copay for. I do my budget monthly with a therapist at the clinic who has to tell me what medical bills to let go to collections. I am struggling with my health and my finances. Yet some people drink away their money and have no fear and no guilt. Makes me thankful I'm honest me.

BlueSkies14 (05-02-2011)
Old 05-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

I know Ellie. I know of one woman who uses her SSDI to buy drugs like marijuana. I really think the SSA targets the wrong ppl often for CDR's. I think many ppl are truly disabled and can no longer work but there are some who are simply cheating the system and get away with it for a lifetime sadly. It makes it bad for everyone.

Last edited by BlueSkies14; 05-02-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

dismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB Userdismama HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies14 View Post
Was it difficult for you to get approved dismama? How old are you if you don't mind me asking? I know what a pdoc is but what is a tdoc. I assume therapist doc? Ellie1962 said>>>>>

This makes sense but I hope SSA does not start dropping people
unjustly in a vain effort to save money in trying to fix what they say is wrong.
I'm 35 and college educated which were hard to overcome. It took about 3 years for me to be approved. I won at the ALJ level with a lawyer. The lawyer was worth the amount of money it cost me. Tdoc us a therapist. Short hand from another board.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:47 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscat40 View Post
I was also told that I was due for a CDR in March of this year. I never recieved anything for it. So I think that is a good thing. Perhaps they are so backlogged , that they are looking the other way on these CDR's. I know my disability's have not improved though, but I am more stable then I have been. So holding my own. However, live in a very reclusive lifestyle. If Ihave to go out to even grocery shop my brother is always with me helping. I do not get out og the apt much by myself . The CDR could happen at anytime though. But I think I am ready for it.
My life is pretty much the same way. Every day I sit here and try and get up the strength to go out on my own. Every day I manage not to do it. I have an 8 year old so when I need to run errands I usually wait for him to get home from school to do it. I rarely go to the grocery store on my own because for some reason I have panic attatcks in the frozen food aisle. I asked my doctor about the reivew since I am getting really nervous. He said that he would still fill out the review saying I am completely disabled. He said that I am more stable now but he knows that that won't last. My history shows that I will destablize but now they are shorter periods but that they will always be there.

Closed Thread