It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #16
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Re: Disability Hearing Tuesday! Please HELP!

Are you still enrolled full time? Because this may come up and be an issues when the judge sees that you areable to handle full time classes. It might look like your able to do these classes and handle all the walking, sitting, and carrying your books all the time without any assistance. It takes a lot of brain power to be in college, and be able to study , turn in exams in a timely manner. It may not be good , for the social security part. Social Security may look at it as working a full time job> Despite having the anxiety and depression you are and able to a lot of activites that most people would not if they were approved .
I tried going back to college myself, but ended up dropping out because I could not compete with the mental health troubles. This was way before I tried to go on diability. I am not trying to discourage you in any way. But, I think it is goingto be tricky , or difficult for you to win your claim when your as functional as you are.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
jgrangran (05-08-2011)
Old 05-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #17
(female)

tinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB User

I live in the state of Va. I did det a lawyer as soon as i was turned down the first fime and it was not even a month after i hired him that i did start recieving my disabilities. Everyones experience is different but the MAIN thing you ABSOLUTELY have to let the judge or the social security people know is that you NEED help and you would not choose to be disabled but it IS beyond YOUR control. I wish EVERYONE the best of luck. Until next time TAKE CARE and hang in there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tinkerbell45 For This Useful Post:
Aleasha (05-10-2011), jgrangran (05-08-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2011, 04:21 AM   #18
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineAZ View Post
You have to do everything you can to educate yourself about every aspect of your diagnoses, treatments, medications, physicians records and experienced and biography, SS benefits and the processes (www.ssa.gov), and carefully choose who you will work with for SS or any other benefits. These days you must be a self educated advocate for yourself, your care, and anything related to any insurance you have.
Ditto to what Spine said. No one can help you more than you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
Aleasha (05-10-2011), jgrangran (05-08-2011)
Old 05-10-2011, 07:49 AM   #19
(female)

Aleasha HB User
Unhappy Hearing Today :/

Well I just got home from my hearing and it was not very pleasant.. I had a panic attack waiting to be called into the hearing room (it was video conferenced the judge and my advocate were in Baltimore me 2hrs away) and the judge wasn't very empathetic.. :/ My advocate said yesterday that my medical was good but it's just my age and education against me. But the judge seemed annoyed with me and when asking the vocational expert q's she said I could perform my past job as a telemarketer and I said no that's the job I got fired from bc of all my panic attacks and the judge was like "EXCUSE ME!" "You will have to wait your turn after the vocational expert is finished you can ask questions" But....After they were done the judge asked my advocate if he had q's and he said no then ended the hearing...with me sitting there crying my eyes out! I felt like my advocate did not advocate very well at all! He seemed like it was his first case or something! & I didn't feel like I got to tell the judge much of anything! She asked how long I could sit, stand, walk and bend, but not how my disability effects my life or anything! I'm not feeling like I got a fair hearing at all! Idk If i'm going to appeal or not tho this whole thing is sooooo stressful and draining! I just wish they were more understanding and nicer idk...Thank You everyone for the support! It really means a lot! Especially since I'm by myself through this

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: Aleasha
BlueSkies14 (05-10-2011), jgrangran (05-10-2011), sunni123 (05-10-2011)
Old 05-10-2011, 07:59 AM   #20
(female)

Aleasha HB User

mscat40,
College has never been hard for me, I've always enjoyed school and have never had to study or even read things to pass tests. I don't fell it's as hard as you think, especially because I have one class online and I have stopped going to one because of my anxiety and depression and I walk from my car to the building which is maybe 10feet to the class and it's a very small campus and setting. There are also only 3 people in one of my classes and I never have to do anything really there are only tests which are multiple choice so it's pretty simple, sometimes it's hard to concentrate and I do miss classes but I don't want to just sit home and lay in bed forever :/ and working is entirely different. There is pressure to perform, you can't miss without calling, someone watches you, you can't leave whenever you want, you can't make your own schedule. Where school, I can come and go as I please, I make my own schedule, When I don't go to class there's no questions as to why or punishment ect... I can leave when I want and the teachers are a lot more understanding and want you to succeed not like a workplace where they can just fire you and replace you. In my experience they are completely different. also, school is a couple hours a week, work is 25-40hrs ect... But I see your point of view where it is harder for some people, it just depends, everyone is different. Thank you for sharing your experience though.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:25 AM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User

Aleasha, I'm sorry about your experince with the Judge I probly would Of cried also this whole process of your furture in the hands of others and its in the hands of other healthly people unless you have walked in our shoes has no ideal how it is. You know I know this doesn't make a difference but others have gone thru the same thing with thier judge I wish I knew the right answer for you because I didn't have to go thru that part but people that have will probly stir you in the right direction. I someone wish we were judged by our peers meaning peole that are disabled also that know the day to day chalenges we face what did your advocate say about the hearing how did she feel it went sometimes we tend to fear the worst what are her feelings about it. is she a lawyer are just an advocate? Please keep in touch we all care about you and feel your pain we are here to help.

The Following User Says Thank You to jgrangran For This Useful Post:
Aleasha (05-10-2011)
Old 05-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #22
Veteran
(female)

sunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB User
Re: Hearing Today :/

Sorry you had such a horrible experience. It makes me wonder whether this process is objective at all- if you had panic attacks in your telemarketing job, it is clear you cannot return to it- and disability is more than sitting, walking or bending. So many of us have had an experience like you have so you are not alone. We are here to support you no matter the outcome.

Last edited by sunni123; 05-10-2011 at 02:17 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to sunni123 For This Useful Post:
Aleasha (05-10-2011)
Old 05-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #23
(female)

tinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB User

I am SO VERY sorry that your meeting went as it did. It does sound to me that the judge AND advocate were not compassionate people at all. If i were you i would most certainly hire a lawyer to appeal because most of them take on the case for free,at least in the state where i live(VA) and then they take a percentage of what you win and you WILL get back pay benefits since the time you haven't been able to work. It will be a little more work but think of all the time you have already put into it and once you turn it over to a lawyer their paralegal does all of the legwork from that point on,you may have to answer some questions and of course sign some paperwork but it WILL be SOOO worth it!!! Just be sure to keep a copy of all your paperwork that you give them and if ANYTHING new takes place with your health be sure to let them know ASAP. Another thing i would tell them EXACTLY how the judge AND advocate were in court that day because it can be proven because all of those hearings even if they are via satelite and i know this as my mother-in-laws was via satelite and it was recorded. By the way she did win. I will keep praying for you and remember i am ALWAYS here for you. PLEASE don't give up!!!! TAKE CARE!!!!

Old 05-10-2011, 03:55 PM   #24
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Was it an attorney? If not does the advocate work with attorney who you can speak with ASAP.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #25
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleasha View Post
Well I just got home from my hearing and it was not very pleasant.. I had a panic attack waiting to be called into the hearing room (it was video conferenced the judge and my advocate were in Baltimore me 2hrs away) and the judge wasn't very empathetic.. :/ My advocate said yesterday that my medical was good but it's just my age and education against me. But the judge seemed annoyed with me and when asking the vocational expert q's she said I could perform my past job as a telemarketer and I said no that's the job I got fired from bc of all my panic attacks and the judge was like "EXCUSE ME!" "You will have to wait your turn after the vocational expert is finished you can ask questions" But....After they were done the judge asked my advocate if he had q's and he said no then ended the hearing...with me sitting there crying my eyes out! I felt like my advocate did not advocate very well at all! He seemed like it was his first case or something! & I didn't feel like I got to tell the judge much of anything! She asked how long I could sit, stand, walk and bend, but not how my disability effects my life or anything! I'm not feeling like I got a fair hearing at all! Idk If i'm going to appeal or not tho this whole thing is sooooo stressful and draining! I just wish they were more understanding and nicer idk...Thank You everyone for the support! It really means a lot! Especially since I'm by myself through this
I wonder why your advocate did not speak on your behalf? Did he say anything to you after the hearing?

Old 05-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #26
(female)

It was an attorney.I didn't have an advocate. The first time i was turned down I IMMEDIATELY went and got an attorney and i promise you it was not even a month before i starting receiving my benefits. So to ALL of you who are having trouble getting your disability PLEASE get an attorney i am telling you from my own personal experience it works and while i don't know if the lawyers are in cohoots with social security but it is most certainly worth a try.Please keep me posted. Until next time TAKE CARE!!!!

Old 05-10-2011, 07:50 PM   #27
Veteran
(female)

sunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB User

Ditto what tinkerbell said. Getting an attorney really does work; the statistics prove it. Or hiring a national disability firm. Google their BBB rating and complaints/reviews. The one I'm working with has been wonderful, they help with the initial claim onward. Getting legal assistance helps in more ways than one. It psychologically helps you stay in the process. The customer service people are so nice, they are so professional and make you feel better if you're worried. Some people in the disability business have actually worked for SS before. If you do hire an attorney, it is best to go with a local one who only deals with SS. If you go the national route, research the firm online first; you glean a lot of info and your gut will tell you what to do next.

The Following User Says Thank You to sunni123 For This Useful Post:
Aleasha (05-10-2011)
Old 05-10-2011, 09:17 PM   #28
(female)

Aleasha HB User

I had a disability advocate... I was so ignorant to this whole disability process and I was told by social services that the advocates would be best because they have experience, which I stupidly believed:/ My advocate was in the same city as the judge (Baltimore) so they were both in the same room and I saw them over video conference. My advocate only asked me a few questions as to what I could and couldn't do (which was just was the judge asked) and then asked the vocational expert questions after the judge did advocate: "So given that a person w same age ed exp can only sit for about an hour and a half can they still perform the job as a telemarketer?" Vocational Expert: "Yes." My Advocate "Ok, thank you" I was like what is going on>??? Who's side is this advocate on?? I could've done a better job! I've been soo depressed and frustrated I've been sleeping all day I feel sooo drained emotionally and physically it's making my pain worse It was my third appeal and first time at a hearing so is it too late for me to hire a lawyer?? I just really feel like I did not get a fair hearing The judge didn't even mention my depression! My psych even told me my GAF score is at a 46 so I'm just so frustrated and lost. I especially have a hard time because I do not have anyone who understands and/ can talk to about this so I really appreciate everyone here! Thank you sooo much for the advice! I don't know what I'd do without everyones kind words and information So grateful

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Aleasha
jgrangran (05-11-2011), sunni123 (05-11-2011)
Old 05-10-2011, 09:21 PM   #29
(female)

Aleasha HB User

And the Advocate couldn't talk to me right before the hearing since he was in another city,,, but he did call the day before to review q's the judge would ask, which she didn't even take into consideration when talking to the vocational expert about my medication side effects or lack of concentration or depression or anxiety so I don't know :/ And my advocate called and left a message today around 1:30pm saying that they would inform him of the decision at the same time as they did me which the judge said would be in 2weeks via the mail:/ eh I really hope it's not too late to hire an attorney. I really thought the advocates would try to fight for me and help I can't believe these people are even called advocates! It's obvious my advocate didn't even care to do his job at all! eh

Old 05-11-2011, 01:38 AM   #30
Veteran
(female)

It sounds like you did not get a fair deal at the hearing. Your advocate could have challenged the VE a lot more. A good attorney will phrase questions in a way to put the burden of proof on the VE. Not being able to sit for more than an hour and a half is not something you can control- symptoms come and go for most of us fighting for disability. We have no control over when they come on. So if you're a telemarketer on the phone and suddenly have to get up from a chair, I don't see how that wouldn't affect a job. It isn't too late to get an attorney who is experienced with SS and get some advice. We're here for you no matter what the decision is. Hang in there.

Closed Thread

Tags
anxiety, depression, disability, osteoarthritis